Home

NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin similar

This is a discussion on NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin similar within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #33
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobstur
Please explain what's the difference between having this QB feature and with having all those ballcarrier abilities, The hitstick, etc... Im not all that good in juking or hitsticking because that's a bit arcadish and I'm not an arcade game type of guy

But if other positions can get user controlled actions where user skill can change the outcome of a play, why can't user controlled QB throws (like in Fever '04) be implemented into Madden as well?

It sounds like a great idea and I also agree that Football strategy and knowledge should be more of a factor in winning games rather than good button and stick skills. But as I said already, why are there more user abilities for other positions?
Two differences:

(1) juking, stiff arms, etc., don't require the user to coordinate the actions of two widely separated onscreen characters (the qb and the passing cursor) simultaneously. Most people who play Madden possess sufficient hand-eye coordination to make a properly timed stiffarm or spin move. The % of people who could successfully use R&L is much lower.

(2). Success using regular moves is largely based on the ratings of the on-screen player. R&L had no such limitations, it worked exactly the same for Quincy Carter as it did for Peyton Manning.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: NFL Fever 2004's innovative passing"read and lead"Madden should adopt sumthin sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

There is nothing "sim" about R&L, at least not if the goal is to simulate the NFL.
exactly.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #35
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
People are using non-sensical arguments, madden isn't just a coaching game. Of course your control on the field should matter, if not why even have game-players control the players on the field. This game isn't nfl coach.

I'd would be total non-sense if your control skill on the field doesn't matter. That would mean that people me, who doesn't get a chance to play madden much, should be able to jump in and compete with someone who's been putting in hours and hard work practicing to be good at on the field control. So you really think that should be the case? I hope your kidding. I shouldn't be able to compete with those who put more hours in to make them selves better in the game.
It's a pity you think that's nonsense, since that is Ian's stated goal for the future of Madden.

The question isn't whether user control should be a factor, it's whether it should trump football knowledge as the primary factor in determining victory or defeat. Up till now that has been the case (as anyone who has ever watched an episode of Madden Nation will attest).

Last edited by coogrfan; 06-29-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Two differences:

(1) juking, stiff arms, etc., don't require the user to coordinate the actions of two widely separated onscreen characters (the qb and the passing cursor) simultaneously. Most people who play Madden possess sufficient hand-eye coordination to make a properly timed stiffarm or spin move. The % of people who could successfully use R&L is much lower.

(2). Success using regular moves is largely based on the ratings of the on-screen player. R&L had no such limitations, it worked exactly the same for Quincy Carter as it did for Peyton Manning.
Number one argument: So the controls more complex? it should be, playing a quarterback on Madden XBOX360 is the same as it was in the Atari days. All the other moves you mention are for other positions, so I don't even know why you mention them. We are specifically talking about making the quarterback position. The % of people that are successful at a more realistic quarterback throwing system would depend on the time and effort they point into the game just like it should matter. We are talking about a simulation here, it should differ a little from a game like NFL blitz which is simplified.

Since we are talking about quarterbacks your number 2 doesn't hold much water since quarterback control scheme in madden allows ANY quarterback to be great regardless of ratings.

In addition, the quarterbacks ratings in read and lead do effect the accuracy and velocity of the pass. Nice try though. When is the last time you played the game? I have it in my Xbox right now as we speak.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 26

i saw this vid before, did u post it on ur arena?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #38
MVP

Quote:
It's a pity you think that's nonsense, since that is Ian's stated goal for the future of Madden.

The question isn't whether user control should be a factor, it's whether it should trump football knowledge as the primary factor in determining victory or defeat.
Just because IAN state a goal for Madden future doesn't mean it's totally correct does it. I respect Ian's opinion but that doesn't mean he's right. Also just for curiosity, please should me this quote from IAN. I'd like to see it, since you keep on stating it over and over. But like I said Ian's not right about everything, even he would admit that.

I can tear apart your second paragraph/argument as well. You can have the best coach in the nfl, but if the players decisions on the field "which are in your hands" aren't intelligent or utilizing there skills, the team will not win. Those who practice to be good at madden and make smart decisions on the field should be awarded just as a real life players hard practice and on field decisions are awarded. Decisions are made EVERYWHERE in football not just those in the playbook.

Having a successful team means the correct decisions in all aspects of the game, from coaching to the players performances and decisions of the field
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 5

you know look at that video again. This looks like a great feature.

For the wii.

Think about it. That feature looks perfect for the wii controls.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by da bucs gm
you know look at that video again. This looks like a great feature.

For the wii.

Think about it. That feature looks perfect for the wii controls.
The wiis motion based control allows for things much different then what you can do with a standard controller. That is the one cool thing about the wii, infact the new tiger woods is supposed to be amazing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »