Home

fixing the defense

This is a discussion on fixing the defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
Rookie

clemsonfan's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: fixing the defense

These blanket statements about a 290lb center handling or not handling a 320lb DT don't make any sense. I mean, it depends on who those players are. How tall are they? How are they built? How good is their technique? How low do they get? Weight is not the only factor in battles within the trenches. It's not like all 300lb lineman are created equally. Mark Stepnoski (5 pro bowls) anchored the center position on Dallas's lines in the early 90s when they were winning superbowls and his playing weight was in the 250s. Sometimes his weight will list in the 260s but that's a preseason weight as it was well known as soon as the season began, his weight slipped into the 250s. He played with perfect technique and leverage and made a pretty good career out of blocking DTs that outweighed him by quite a bit. I could cite many more examples like this but yall get the picture.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
Actually it does make a difference, I have seen Kris Jenkins (349 lbs) absolutely ragdoll our pro bowl center Dan Koppen (296 lbs) in one on one assignments. I have also seen Wilfork and Jamal Williams absolutely destroy centers on one on one stints, its definitely not a good idea to leave those guys out there on their own against these guys.
Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan
These blanket statements about a 290lb center handling or not handling a 320lb DT don't make any sense. I mean, it depends on who those players are. How tall are they? How are they built? How good is their technique? How low do they get? Weight is not the only factor in battles within the trenches. It's not like all 300lb lineman are created equally. Mark Stepnoski (5 pro bowls) anchored the center position on Dallas's lines in the early 90s when they were winning superbowls and his playing weight was in the 250s. Sometimes his weight will list in the 260s but that's a preseason weight as it was well known as soon as the season began, his weight slipped into the 250s. He played with perfect technique and leverage and made a pretty good career out of blocking DTs that outweighed him by quite a bit. I could cite many more examples like this but yall get the picture.
Thanks alot clemsonfan...just the point I was trying 2 make...u said it perfectly
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

The only way double teams work in madden is basically to take control of x linemen and consistently beat his man, and engage the other, in that sense you can occupy 2 players and take away a blocker away from protection.
However you as player can't rely on the ratings to do this for you, your line play must be topnotch
Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16

I really hope NT's can draw double team blocks cause if not it will be impossible to run a true 3-4. Not a big deal to me tho. I mean i would like to run a 3-4 but i can definately work with a 4-3.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 6

Its easy enough to run a 3-4 as it is without double teams......Alot of "top" players run this....

I myself dont like to lump saying double teams in with the 3-4 becuz that argument gets stale very quick becuz every 3 weeks or so the same issue gets brought back up on the forum with the same example about how u cant run a "true" 3-4 without double teams...and im sure ian has seen this many times.....

To say it better is to say that just the best NG/DT should be double teamed......that makes it so the sucky DT/NG that are just big dont get double teamed all day becuz they arent good enough to need to be double teamed

and i "think" i saw a few double teams in the madden videos that are out

ps: I love the 4-3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #22
Rookie

suthrnthug's Arena

OVR: 5

You guys can keep throwing $60 every year on a sub par game if you want to. I'm not paying top dollar for a football game that lacks fundamentals. Sorry if I'm smarter with my money.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 26

I didn't read any post, just the thread topic, so pardon me if this issue has been discussed.

Defensive edits, in Madden needs to be re-done because the way that they have been implemented is a laborious chore, allowing really no time to "Edit" a play. The whole select a player to edit is not conducive to micro seconds a Defense is given to changes in formation shifts, motions or any sudden audibles that puts your defense at a disadvantage.

They should go the way of Icon selection at the skill level ala APF their system is quick easy and highly manageable for multiple edits on the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense. I just like the way that game allows for on the defense, it has just as many options as the offense and they are quick hitting, from cover shells, to WR coverage audibles to Blitzes and strong/weak side shifts. I think this is the way to go for defense.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #24
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrnthug
You guys can keep throwing $60 every year on a sub par game if you want to. I'm not paying top dollar for a football game that lacks fundamentals. Sorry if I'm smarter with my money.
Thanks, I usually spend my money how I want!!

So, I'm guessing you've played M10? Why not take the time and write a review?

And if you haven't played it maybe you should be a little smarter about your statement's and actually play the game before you jump to conclusion's.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

Last edited by jeremym480; 07-01-2009 at 04:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »