Home

Blocking assignments

This is a discussion on Blocking assignments within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Blocking assignments

I duno if this should be in the wishlist section (which gets no burn) or not, but feel free to move it

One thing I'd like to see in madden is setting blocking assignments pre snap, if we can hot route our receivers and make our TEs and RBs block for us, we should be able to hot route our linemen too.

I'm not talking about that slide feature either because it doesnt work as desired sometimes. If ratings really are a factor and strength helps players push you should be able to choose to double team players like haynesworth or kevin williams or otherwise get pushed into the QB each time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Blocking assignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamofdaDecade
I duno if this should be in the wishlist section (which gets no burn) or not, but feel free to move it

One thing I'd like to see in madden is setting blocking assignments pre snap, if we can hot route our receivers and make our TEs and RBs block for us, we should be able to hot route our linemen too.

I'm not talking about that slide feature either because it doesnt work as desired sometimes. If ratings really are a factor and strength helps players push you should be able to choose to double team players like haynesworth or kevin williams or otherwise get pushed into the QB each time
I think the slide protection is fine, but needs to be expanded with the same principals in mind, like pich down should mean focus on the interior gaps on run plays, which would mean double teaming the DL in those gaps just as an example.
However there is no double team animation in the game.
The only way to do what you want is for them to put double team animations in, and then give you an O line screen similar to the DB/WR matchup where you can configure your double teams like having your G and C focus on WIlliams, however you can make a lot of your own protections just by understanding slide pro. Lead blocker was a great feature on the last gen, dont know about cur gen
Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

That would be awesome, but I can't imagine getting that all setup with a controller in time.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

I dont like this idea.....Do u know how easy it would be to run the ball. You already know how your blocks will be b4 the snap......

Bro you can see your blocks pre snap anyway now...just use common sence and see who is across from your lineman....where you are running and which lineman will go the the LB level.......

And in 09 there is "KIND" of like a double team....its more like a zone blocking tech. called the Quick double in some systems (both lineman double than one pushes the other off and he gets to the LB level)......and if u dnt believe me just run about 10 dive plays and after each one look at the replay
Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
I dont like this idea.....Do u know how easy it would be to run the ball. You already know how your blocks will be b4 the snap......

Bro you can see your blocks pre snap anyway now...just use common sence and see who is across from your lineman....where you are running and which lineman will go the the LB level.......
Ever heard of a stunt? What about a pulling guard? And there are 5 O-linemen, and usually only 3 or 4 D-linemen... where does the other linemen go and who does he double team? Blocking the defender directly lined up to you every play would be archaic.

I think 'hot routing' the offensive line though would be kind of time consuming though, and could give away pass or run if you're playing a human opponent. Blocking though definitely needs overhauled, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphtali
I think the slide protection is fine, but needs to be expanded with the same principals in mind, like pich down should mean focus on the interior gaps on run plays, which would mean double teaming the DL in those gaps just as an example.
However there is no double team animation in the game.
The only way to do what you want is for them to put double team animations in, and then give you an O line screen similar to the DB/WR matchup where you can configure your double teams like having your G and C focus on WIlliams, however you can make a lot of your own protections just by understanding slide pro. Lead blocker was a great feature on the last gen, dont know about cur gen

I heard that lead blocker is gone for Madden 10.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56

And in 09 there is "KIND" of like a double team....its more like a zone blocking tech. called the Quick double in some systems (both lineman double than one pushes the other off and he gets to the LB level)......and if u dnt believe me just run about 10 dive plays and after each one look at the replay
Thats not what the guy is talking about, he means pass protection double teaming, which would be impossible because theres no collision (pro tack), animation set up for it. The only double team in the game is the one you spoke of, on zone plays even though in real life double teaming is obviously not limited to just zone.
The same slide protection can easily be applied if they just put in the animation/collision for it to double team players in x gap. Or they should make it a gamplan feature like defense matchup, where you pick which rusher to double team. I don't think its that complex if you understand what your doing.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
Ever heard of a stunt? What about a pulling guard? And there are 5 O-linemen, and usually only 3 or 4 D-linemen... where does the other linemen go and who does he double team? Blocking the defender directly lined up to you every play would be archaic.

I think 'hot routing' the offensive line though would be kind of time consuming though, and could give away pass or run if you're playing a human opponent. Blocking though definitely needs overhauled, though.
hmmmm really A pulling guard OMG how am I ever going to read my blocks pre snap.....Its not hard bro just count your lineman and add 1 then figure out how each block will unfold withh the pulling guard involved...Its not hard at all and only takes what? 2-4 sec to figure out

to the part in red.......How would it be archaic? Most likely that is who you would block anyway...

"And there are 5 O-linemen, and usually only 3 or 4 D-linemen... where does the other linemen go and who does he double team?"

Is this a serius question????? You double team at the point of attack.....
You have 5 OLineman (TE in or out) vs 3-4 DLineman come on buddy the lineman who have DLineman infront of them block them and the ones with nobody get the the linebackers.......isit that hard

And if you throw in REAL double teams it gets easier than that say u are running a dive or inside zone to the right (in a zone blocking scheme) lets say we have a TE vs a 4-3

RT and TE are responsible for the DE and OLB
C and RG are responsible for DT and MLB
LG and LT are responsible for DT and backside OLB
The backside DE is left free

There u go I just broke down real double teams and pure man blocking.......It isnt hard man just use common sence and it is easy

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »