Home

Can I get an official word on this?

This is a discussion on Can I get an official word on this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Can I get an official word on this?

It always seems like RAM is the limiting factor. I don't claim to be the most technical person in the world, but why would these systems only use 512MB? I mean, RAM is cheap enough now. Why not 1GB, or 2GB?

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #42
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
It always seems like RAM is the limiting factor. I don't claim to be the most technical person in the world, but why would these systems only use 512MB? I mean, RAM is cheap enough now. Why not 1GB, or 2GB?
Well, several reasons. First, the Xbox 360 was released in 2005. But it was being developed for years before that. So while we think of GBs worth of RAM as easy to obtain now, in 2003 and 2004, 512MB of RAM was decent. Also, both of these systems don't have OSes on them, taking up 1/2 th RAM. On a PC, a lot of RAM is being used by the OS (Windows), where as this just isn't the case for consoles.

Even if you could upgrade your console to 1GB of RAM, Ian's crew would still need to plan as if you only had 512MB of RAM, since he can't be guaranteed that everyone who buys Madden would have that much RAM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:35 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 50

I think I'll stick with the 360 version. SUPERIORITY. 360 ftw
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 07-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 3

Can we get some good quality Ps3 videos from you Ian?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
PS3 has slightly less memory available in game than 360. Though both ship with the same amount of memory (512 MB), the XMB eats up a little bit more than the 360 blade stuff. Since all PS3's are also guaranteed to have a hard drive (unlike 360), we stream the replay data straight to the PS3 hard drive as the play is being run instead of streaming it to memory (like we do on 360). Unfortunately, writing 60 frames per second to the hard drive in realtime is a performance hit and will end up causing hitching and gameplay framerate loss, so sometimes we have to skip a frame or two (depending on what is happening on screen and how long the replay is) to ensure we don't screw up the normal gameplay experience. Since the replay buffer on the hard drive now has less frames, it has less fidelity when you play it back.
I was just playing Madden 09 today, and was really taking a closer look at the replays, and man they are not very pretty to watch.
Jamarcus Russel scrambling down the field looked like his knees were locked and he couldn't extend them all the way on replays.

How come All Pro 2k8 has no issues like this with replays on the PS3?
And this is going to be the same on Madden 10? come on..
There really is no excuse to have replays look worse on the PS3.

Just shows you how XBOX is always the priority over at EA.. disappointing.

Last edited by boooey; 07-16-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
These are the only differences I know of:

- custom plays are PS3 exclusive (via PSP import)
- Framerate in replays is slightly less on PS3 than 360 (but FYI both are improved from last year...shouldn't see that no-spiral problem anymore)
- 360 hardware up-rezzes better to 1080 - PS3 actually looks slightly better in 720 than in 1080 because there are less jaggies (though the game is not rendered differently at all)
- Intro movie and Extra Point host videos are slightly better quality on PS3 (Blu-Ray advantage)
A.K.A. ps3 version will be better?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
These are the only differences I know of:

- custom plays are PS3 exclusive (via PSP import)
Yeah and that's about BS in my humble opinion. Why do this? I am not blaming you. You're the actual game designer. But clearly this is about cash. And it is infuriating, to say the least.

Why withhold a feature? I mean, this is OBVIOUSLY a ploy to get people to buy the PSP version or the PSP itself. I mean... come on. Whoever made this decision should at least try to HIDE their frothing greed for the sake of the appearance of dignity. But clearly no one can hide something so blatant.

RIP Steve. You will always be my Hero.

Last edited by titansftw; 07-21-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #48
Banned

theant1h3ro's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansftw
Yeah and that's about BS in my humble opinion. Why do this? I am not blaming you. You're the actual game designer. But clearly this is about cash. And it is infuriating, to say the least.

Why withhold a feature? I mean, this is OBVIOUSLY a ploy to get people to buy the PSP version or the PSP itself. I mean... come on. Whoever made this decision should at least try to HIDE their frothing greed for the sake of the appearance of dignity. But clearly no one can hide something so blatant.
Kind of like all the exlusive DLC for the 360 huh......get over it and quit whining its part of the new age of gaming!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »