Home

One thing I hope EA "borrows" from NFL 2K5

This is a discussion on One thing I hope EA "borrows" from NFL 2K5 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: One thing I hope EA "borrows" from NFL 2K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
I just wish they'd put fair play back in. That would solve these sorts of issues.
I don't even want them to put fair play back in. I want people to play foolishly, just punish them hard if they play like idiots. Your guys on defense should get a little motivation boost to stop the 4th down conversion just as the offense should get a little hit because they are unsure and wonder why this coach even has them out there in such a silly situation.

I would even like to see a little animation with the offensive guys wondering why they are on the field. Like looking at each other with their hands up saying "WTF".
Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
4th down success percentage league wide is above 40%.

So actually no. Its not harder than any other down really.

I don't want Madden to get artificially harder on 4th down for no apparent reason.

IN the NFL its statistically viable to go for every 4th down. Just that coaches don't have the balls to do so. But gamers do coz its just a game.
100% correct. 4th down is just as likely as any other down to work.

A gamer has nothing to lose by going for it. An NFL coach has his livelyhood, reputation and family to think about. This psychological aspect can't be reproduced in a game, that is why fair play rules should exist.

The running the same play thing... that's a different story. Defense should get better at diagnosing the play.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
I don't even want them to put fair play back in. I want people to play foolishly, just punish them hard if they play like idiots. Your guys on defense should get a little motivation boost to stop the 4th down conversion just as the offense should get a little hit because they are unsure and wonder why this coach even has them out there in such a silly situation.

This sounds like a type of fair play rule. You want an artificial boost when the opponent is playing unfairly. I don't understand your stance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Madden 9 was flawed because you could FBdive for 3-5 yards on 4th and get it most of the time. So basically that ruined the game for me. Along with many other factors that I don't need to touch on in this thread.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
4th down success percentage league wide is above 40%.

So actually no. Its not harder than any other down really.

I don't want Madden to get artificially harder on 4th down for no apparent reason.

IN the NFL its statistically viable to go for every 4th down. Just that coaches don't have the balls to do so. But gamers do coz its just a game.

Sure some guy may have beaten you on 4th down after stopping him 3 times in a row. But 60% of the time. you would have stopped that 4th down conversion.

There's nothing wrong with 4th downs in madden.

The gameplay on the other hand is a different issue.
You're completely right.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
100% correct. 4th down is just as likely as any other down to work.

A gamer has nothing to lose by going for it. An NFL coach has his livelyhood, reputation and family to think about. This psychological aspect can't be reproduced in a game, that is why fair play rules should exist.

The running the same play thing... that's a different story. Defense should get better at diagnosing the play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
This sounds like a type of fair play rule. You want an artificial boost when the opponent is playing unfairly. I don't understand your stance.
You pretty much explained my stance right there. There needs to be a sense of extreme apprehension when going for it on 4th in instances that really make no sense. The only way to reproduce that is to make it a bit more difficult to make it on 4th. EA needs to bring the old adage "If you can't get it in 3 what makes you think you're going to get it in 4" hold true. Again, I'm not saying to make it impossible but it needs to be very difficult and, I dare say, nigh impossible if you're going to run the same play for 4 downs in a row.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
You pretty much explained my stance right there. There needs to be a sense of extreme apprehension when going for it on 4th in instances that really make no sense. The only way to reproduce that is to make it a bit more difficult to make it on 4th. EA needs to bring the old adage "If you can't get it in 3 what makes you think you're going to get it in 4" hold true. Again, I'm not saying to make it impossible but it needs to be very difficult and, I dare say, nigh impossible if you're going to run the same play for 4 downs in a row.
Nothing should be more/artificially difficult just because you're going for it on first down. Maybe the defense should play tighter coverages if it is a 4th and long, but most importantly nothing should be "artificially" difficult. The situation, play calling, and personnel of both teams should factor into whether or not a 4th down is successful rather than it being automatically difficult because there are teams that like to go for it on 4th and long, one of them being the NE Patriots and most of the time, they're successful. Note: I'm talking about the 2007 NE Patriots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 6

4th down should be no diff than 2nd or 3rd...It is no harder/easier to get it in real life or in madden

What made 4th and short easier in madden was (as stated before) a flawed Qb sneek and FB dive.....Now that those plays are fixed 4th down is as realistic as can be

Also to totalownership who said "Again, I'm not saying to make it impossible but it needs to be very difficult and, I dare say, nigh impossible if you're going to run the same play for 4 downs in a row."
There is adaptive AI......so there is no problem with 4th down at all in 2010

I dont get it ???????what is the problem with guys going for it on 4th down?????
Man up and stop them and get the ball back on their 35 yard line....lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »