Home

Madden class-action suit

This is a discussion on Madden class-action suit within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden class-action suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drewster
I just hope ea wins because if they lose then the NFL (with no fun Roger Goodell) could just refuse to give the NFL rights to any video game company and we will all be playing with fake teams.
That would never happen. There's too much money to be made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops737
why do people hate AT&T??

sorry i guess im dating myself in the early 80's AT&T was about to be declared a monopoly so they decided to break up into the "baby bells" Pac bell Southwestern bell ect

google "AT&T monopoly" good reading especially the SBC part LOL
Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I'd love to see this suit succeed. It's not good for football games for the competition to be limited.

And to the posters who have suggested that this has been an above-board, fair-market deal all along: have you read any of the news about the in-house memos, etc., that strongly suggest collusion and questionable business practice? Seriously.

I'd love to like Madden again. But more than that, I'd love for Madden to have to compete with 2K for the NFL market because then I'd have a choice.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
2K had to do something to get the game in as much hands as possible, and this was the only way. The ratio to Madden being bought over 2k when they were both priced at 49.99 was like 10-1, and when it went to 19.99 the ratio was then Madden 1.5 to 1.
A huge difference.
Exactly. I Remember at the time actually buying both games on the same day, for 20 bucks 2k5 was "worth" a purchase, little did i know 2k5 was light years ahead of anything madden had to offer then, and still to this day
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #29
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
Apparently a judge in California disagrees with your well considered legal opinion. I imagine this judge does "not understand how things work here and how a person can bid for exclusive services and rights to those services in an area or across the globe". So when did you pass the bar?
You're right, judges always throw out cases they know one side has a chance of winning. A judge doesn't dictate who wins simply by keeping a trial in court, these two people, whoever they are, likely filed suit with correct documentation and procedural integrity, then EA filed a counter-claim alleging an FRCP Rule 12 "Failure to State a Claim" or "Lack of Subject-Matter Jurisdiction." Or possibly some other counter-claim or suit that the judge threw out.

The judge would have allowed the suit for whatever reason he conceived of within judicial reason and then allowed the suit to go forward before a federal or possibly state court. As long as they has stated some claim that could possibly, in some way, be redressed by the court system (see Iqbal, Twombley), then the suit should go forward. I'll pass the bar soon, any other questions?

Also, whoever compared this to murder, please don't insult people's intelligence with such banal comparisons. People and businesses and governments complete these same contracts every day and chances are you may do so in the future, and then you likely won't complain about it.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's true.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks

Last edited by iLukeisamazing; 07-05-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

i love how they talk about the price of the game. So just because EA lowered their price for 1 year to compete better with the other game means they have to keep it there and not charge the same amount as every other new 360/PS3 game that comes out. Those games cost just as much as Madden.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #31
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck22
Exactly. I Remember at the time actually buying both games on the same day, for 20 bucks 2k5 was "worth" a purchase, little did i know 2k5 was light years ahead of anything madden had to offer then, and still to this day
What you did was exactly what 2k was trying to accomplish. They felt they had the better game but Madden gamers wouldn't even give it a look, but at just $20 even a Madden gamer would give it a shot to see what 2k was rambling about, and most of them were surprised.

I was a manager at EB games at the time and it was crazy how both games were selling.
It was very interesting and entertaining
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing
You're right, judges always throw out cases they know one side has a chance of winning. A judge doesn't dictate who wins simply by keeping a trial in court, these two people, whoever they are, likely filed suit with correct documentation and procedural integrity, then EA filed a counter-claim alleging an FRCP Rule 12 "Failure to State a Claim" or "Lack of Subject-Matter Jurisdiction." Or possibly some other counter-claim or suit that the judge threw out.
The judge examined the merits of the suit and decided it should go forward i.e. was worthwhile. Motion to dismiss is denied. Actually judges do dictate who wins. In this case EA lost the first round. I'm sure EA would have preferred a dismissal.

I'm glad we agree now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing
The judge would have allowed the suit for whatever reason he conceived of within judicial reason and then allowed the suit to go forward before a federal or possibly state court. As long as they has stated some claim that could possibly, in some way, be redressed by the court system (see Iqbal, Twombley), then the suit should go forward. I'll pass the bar soon, any other questions?

Also, whoever compared this to murder, please don't insult people's intelligence with such banal comparisons. People and businesses and governments complete these same contracts every day and chances are you may do so in the future, and then you likely won't complain about it.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's true.
Nice use of the word banal.

I don't wish to make this personal but your demeanor leaves a lot to be desired.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »