Home

We still go to Ask Madden on 4th down?!?

This is a discussion on We still go to Ask Madden on 4th down?!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: We still go to Ask Madden on 4th down?!?

'Ask Madden' is the worst!

I'm sure some people use it when they don't know how to call plays, and others use it as a challenge to beat the AI only using the crappy plays madden picks. But this should be defaulted to off for any difficulty other than rookie.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

I agree. Thats why when I know im doin a fake on a playcall it helps to do things the same way you did as before. Ex. When I punt it usausly 5 secs after I picked the play. When someone is faking normally to me their ball snap timing is off. This works 80% of the time for me.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
'Ask Madden' is the worst!

I'm sure some people use it when they don't know how to call plays, and others use it as a challenge to beat the AI only using the crappy plays madden picks. But this should be defaulted to off for any difficulty other than rookie.
Yeah this is how I play. I just pretend I have a crappy OC and crappy DC calling the plays. I actually like the dumbness I see. Makes the game interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Again I know Ian said he hated how it goes to ask Madden automatically. I would have thought he would have taken that out, or out at least for the "hardcore" play calling style. I understand the simpler modes where the computer picks every play for you, and it gets more and more complex... but in Hardcore play calling menu "ask madden" shouldn't even be an option IMO... it's HARDCORE play calling mode for F's sake.

EDIT: fixed the word shouldn't thanks splf3000

Last edited by PGaither84; 07-09-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Again I know Ian said he hated how it goes to ask Madden automatically. I would have thought he would have taken that out, or out at least for the "hardcore" play calling style. I understand the simpler modes where the computer picks every play for you, and it gets more and more complex... but in Hardcore play calling menu "ask madden" should even be an option IMO... it's HARDCORE play calling mode for F's sake.
To be honest this is one of the things I'm most upset about.

We actually had it changed but we didn't have support to have it default you into the special teams formation on 4th down or extra point. So you'd score a TD and by default you'd be in I-Form or something (whatever you ran last)...and so many people are used to just hammering the button on Extra Point without looking they would end up going for 2 all the time and have to burn a timeout. I really wish we could have found a way around this but we didn't have a way to default into the Special Teams formation without a per-playbook hack.

It's more accessible to use Ask Madden, but ugh, I hate it. Thanks for reminding me, I am going to try to figure out something for a patch.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
To be honest this is one of the things I'm most upset about.

We actually had it changed but we didn't have support to have it default you into the special teams formation on 4th down or extra point. So you'd score a TD and by default you'd be in I-Form or something (whatever you ran last)...and so many people are used to just hammering the button on Extra Point without looking they would end up going for 2 all the time and have to burn a timeout. I really wish we could have found a way around this but we didn't have a way to default into the Special Teams formation without a per-playbook hack.

It's more accessible to use Ask Madden, but ugh, I hate it. Thanks for reminding me, I am going to try to figure out something for a patch.
I would rather be put in the last formation I was in to be honest with you. I mean, as a coach, the personel that were on the field for 3rd down remains on the field until you send in the kicking team. Maybe another option for next year... Ask Madden Option = Always | 4th down Only | Off with the default begin 4th Down Only.

The OFF setting would also add some real life drama to end of half/game kicking situations because you would have to cycle to the special teams package and select kick. I always thought the ask madden Kick thing allowed me to get my kicking team on the field much faster then I should be able to.

Last edited by FlyingFinn; 07-09-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Ask Madden Option = Always | 4th down Only | Off with the default begin 4th Down Only.
Very good idea. Anyone who wants to make the transition to leaving Ask Madden out will be able to do so, those who would rather have the convenience can leave it in place. I can see a lot of yelling and screaming should it be removed entirely.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Again I know Ian said he hated how it goes to ask Madden automatically. I would have thought he would have taken that out, or out at least for the "hardcore" play calling style. I understand the simpler modes where the computer picks every play for you, and it gets more and more complex... but in Hardcore play calling menu "ask madden" should even be an option IMO... it's HARDCORE play calling mode for F's sake.
+1 for the bold part.

I'm assuming you mean SHOULDN'T be an option. If so, then yes I agree 100%. Hardcore is HARDCORE. No hardcore player uses ask Madden. In fact, if you're really hardcore, ask madden is a step back as far as playcalling goes. Just something to tweak for 11.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »