Home

Locomotion Wishlist for '11

This is a discussion on Locomotion Wishlist for '11 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 22
Re: Locomotion Wishlist for '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisol_us
Man that video gets me fired up. Can't wait for Madden & really can't wait for the season to start.

Before I post this: I don't know if this stuff is in the new Madden, if it is then WOW!, if not I am still buying it and hoping that it makes it in there soon.

I really have to agree with MO about the leaning forward when players are attacking the runners knees. It doesn't need to be super dramatic during the game. The video game player would just do a little forward hitch when there is a collision near his knees. That little animation would add alot to how it feels when controlling the ball carrier in game.

I also liked the you pointed out the little charge on the goal line run. When I play madden, I try to use the truck stick when I know my runner is about to get hit(ex. in the hole by a LB running down hill @ me) but you know what happens......... nothing thats what. A simple lowering of the shoulder and a mild collision animation right there would add some much needed violence at the end of runs and to the whole game.

I must concur about one more thing here. We really need a authentic jump cut into these running lanes ala L.T in that clip. Most of the big runs in the NFL come from these type of plays, when the back glides along the line see's his lane and cuts into and through it. Once he is through the hole he is at almost top speed and the tackler is getting ready because that next hit is gonna be really violent.(like described above.) Either a violent collision is goning to take palce or there will be defenders swiping at the runners knees where that little forward hitch animation would come into play.

The running game is my favorite part of the NFL and players like L.T and Barry S. are just insane to watch play
This. The running game is so important in football, especially when you have a good one. And this really is what makes football so much fun. Not even when it's just the tailback. But with WRs and even Defensive players. Running is the bulk of the game. Which is why locomotion and animations are so important.

As I was saying with the stutter step before, it really is what makes running running. I don't know any running back that doesn't hop around or stutter when he's looking searching for a whole to hit. I think that in addition to the stutter step, if you use the quick burst juke (L/R 1) while stuttering, then the tailback (or even WRs TEs QBs and DBs [ cuz we know that EA likes to make certain things available for only certain positions {dumb}]) should make a hop step and accelerate on that hop.

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
They should also make it so that there is a ''breaking down'' when it comes to tackling. Currently, when you tackle a player, you're at a full sprint, and the tackle animation only begins when you're very close to a player. That's physically impossible. There should be some type of prep for a tackle where the tackler actually lower their shoulders when ready to hit. Not only would that be more realistic physically, but you would actually be able to time a tackle, or an offensive move as, in essence, see the tackle coming...
This is what Im talking about. EA needs to make all movement and locomotion progressive. Everything requires something before it to get started. I'm sick of this warping stuff. With the slowed down speed of the game and progressive movement would be a huge improvement (rhymes).

And just to stress again. EVERYTHING needs to be progressive. That way everything happens for a reason and you can see and predict what is happening. I don't even know why we have so much control in madden. the ratings and physics should really determine everything. I think the game should still be as responsive as ever, but the ratings and physics should really take over. that's just what is realistic. Or maybe we should have a slider for that too? But a 320 lbs lineman should not be able to turn as quickly as he is currently. He should have to take a while to turn. Agility is the rating factor here. This affects how fast and well a player moves their hips and make turns. Which is also how players are able to outrun others on the edge.

The game should still be very responsive, but ratings and physics should be the predominant factor.

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac
Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #43
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

I don't think we should sacrifice control, though. In 2K5, physics were there, but it was in an animation that restricted control. If there was some way to combine branching with locomotion and inertia physics, then we still would be able to break out of tackles, but with actual physical limitations. Heck, it would be like combining some form of Euphoria physics with Pro-Tak...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #44
Pro

OVR: 50

Like apex said, "Agility, and Acceleration is what sets players' speeds apart"

Acceleration-
Players like Brian Westbrook may not be as fast as Chris Johnson but Brian gets up to his top speed a tiny bit faster. Chris Johnson can't be THAT much faster than Brian(top speedwise). If a back is "quick" in football (Knowsheon Moreno and Justin Forsett), he has great acceleration but usually not speed. Just because a running back can innitially out run a CB dosen't mean that the CB won't catch up to him. Many times, in the open field, Brian Westbrook has used a stutter step and used his acceleration to outrun the defender to the outside.

Agility-
Devin Hester, in my oppinion, would never beat Reggie Bush in a race. What makes Devin Hester look so fast is his amazingly quick cuts and change-of-direction ability. His agility is what sets him apart from, say, Ted Ginn. Ted Ginn is definately faster than Devin Hester (feel free to disagree and/or correct me) but Ted can never change his direction fast enough. Ted Ginn is a "Straight Line Runner" and not a "Shifty Runner" like Devin. The differences in agilities and accelerations is what players use to determine how they should run (if they are aware of their strengths & weaknesses).

If a running back knows that they are not very elusive/shifty but are fast (Felix Jones), they might try to get to the sidelines more.

If a running back knows they are not elusive/shifty at all, but are strong (Brandon Jacobs), they will bulldoze the line.

If a running back knows that they are a mixture of elusive, shifty, power, and speed (Ladanian Tomlinson, Marion Barber, Michael Turner, and Adrian Peterson), they will have the freedom to be versatile.

I want to see these Strengths/Weaknesses played out in Madden 10. I don't want to see Brandon Jacobs trying to bounce it to the outside 50% of the time. And I DO want to see Felix Jones bouncing it out on an inside play like he attempts to do.

This will add alot of realism in the run game for each individual running back's styles. I know that the exact running styles for every running back is going to be programmed next year, but at least put the logic in that bigger backs should not bounce it and smaller, quicker backs, should have a higher percentage of bouncing.
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures

Last edited by 43Chargers4Now; 07-09-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #45
Rookie

davjaffe's Arena

OVR: 6

There have been some really good posts inside this thread. I think @Mofficial, especially, has made a lot of good points that could really improve gameplay in future versions. I hope that some of the people who matter (i.e. the devs) get a chance to read through the thread. (I say this with no hint of malice or ill will . . . but I doubt they'll get a look at this - it's pretty much crunch time now, so we can't expect them to be lurking around on message boards).

Anyway, running backs have always been my favorite players, and running has always been my favorite part of video game football, so I would love if we could see some of the improvements proposed herein make their way into the game in the future. Locomotion is pretty critical to an authentic game experience, I think - it permeates everything you do in-game. So I continue to hope for refinement to this area that I care so much about it.

P.S. (I had to do it . . . I can't help myself) Everybody's doin' a brand new dance now . . .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #46
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

There should also be some locomotion physics when it comes to QB Play. I'm tired of QB's moving like robots...
Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 AM   #47
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

Bump
Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #48
Rookie

Triathlete_201's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
There should also be some locomotion physics when it comes to QB Play. I'm tired of QB's moving like robots...
Not only QB, but the whole team need locomotion. I hope they just don't apply it to the ball carrier next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »