Home

Madden 10: Why don't corners play inside?

This is a discussion on Madden 10: Why don't corners play inside? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #41
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Madden 10: Why don't corners play inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
That statement I made bold is false. No way is it easier to make picks by playing from the outside.

Here is a video showcasing that Deon Sanders played inside position, not outside.

In this video you will witness about 98% of the time Deon takes inside position on his coverage. You can also see when he is in a zone cause of how he just back pedals and looks at the Qb. This is the only time you will see him use that technique. Other than that he takes the inside and stares his wr down.

You want to make the Qb throw to the sidelines. Its a longer throw for them, and someone like Deon with great speed can take great advantage of that. You will see he is always coming from the middle of the field and attacking towards the sidelines when the throw is made.

I know this for a fact cause I study Deon to the fullest, and I mirrored the same technique.
This is where I noticed that when playing man to man coverage you stare your wr down till he looks back for the ball then you look back.

Fast forward a little the video starts of a little slow, but then it show Deon Shutting it down.

Sooo...you think it's easier to get a pick when you can't see the ball and you've got tacklers to both sides than when you get a ball in the flats near the sideline and there's nothing but green in front of you?

As for your video... here are the plays that are identifiably Man coverage (there are many deep 3rd pics in the video)

1:08- several different angles of the same play, inside leverage

1:13- Inside because he's covering a slot receiver

1:20- Catching up with a slant route from outside leverage

1:25- Outside, unless you honestly think the '94 Rams had a guy that could beat Deion in pure footspeed on a post from Inside leverage

1:57- Someone covering Deion using outside leverage... because he has help inside.

2:26- Outside leverage (from 2 different angles)

2:55- Inside leverage, 3 angles

If this is your evidence that he played inside "98% of the time" (which I know damn well he didn't do under Seifert!), you're not very good at this game.

You studied... poorly.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #42
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
1. A double teams consist of you taking away the inside, and the help taking away over the top. Your not going to double team someone by taking away the inside and outside. You double team a solid fast wr that way and he will just run a fly pattern right by both DB's.
Yes, because every WR is fast enough to beat a cornerback off the line then a safety who's got a 12 yard head start, I forgot. Oh, and every double team is exactly the same. Goddamn, you should be an NFL defensive coordinator!

Quote:
2.Im sorry but your not in the way.
If you're playing the way Asomugha is in that clip, and I come over from the hashmark, what am I supposed to do, tackle the receiver through you?

Quote:
3. I would love for a Db to play me on my outside and take a look at the qb while im running my route. I would have a field day. Honestly my Qb and I would scorch the scoreboard if a DB played me this way. Now if this is a cover 2 zone then that is a different story. This is where flag or some might know as a corner route will be needed to eat up a cover 2 zone.
Not if the DB is Darrell Green you wouldn't. Stop over simplifying the game to make your argument.

The point is, with outside technique, if I've got the speed to stay with you, I don't have to take my eyes off of you to see the ball. I'm not turning away from you, I'm looking through you.

Quote:
4. I just posted a video showing that Deon played Inside. I didn't look up Green's technique.
And I shot down your video. Have a nice day.

Quote:
5. I agree with you on your 5th comment.
Yeah, well... umm... You can't! It's not allowed!

Anyways, I have said at least twice that inside leverage is more common in the NFL, and becomes more and more common the lower down the chain you go, why are people acting like outside leverage is non-existent? Do you people watch the game at all?

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-10-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 5

all this CB talk makes me want to play superstar mode with aqib talib. later
Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 7

it all depends on the defenses coverage on whether a corner plays inside or outside but madden doesn't input the way the corner is to play each route and how safety is to play every route and route combinations so the corners and safeties do arbitrary animations based on the defense not reacting to the offense or adjusting

defenses play outside leverage on most zones because the defensive strength is inside especially on a Tampa-2 play. A lot of coverage in the NFL is to bait the QB into thinking he has a guy open then the corner or safety break on the ball. but from what ive seen of madden the dbs dont play the ball in zone or on underneath routes in man

Many times you could have the right coverage called in madden but the safety will not go for the big hit or the corner will for some reason not go for the ball and give up a catch that shouldn't of happened
NHL- Blackhawks
Soccer- Eh

Last edited by HolyCrap; 07-10-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #45
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrap
it all depends on the defenses coverage on whether a corner plays inside or outside but madden doesn't input the way the corner is to play each route and how safety is to play every route and route combinations so the corners and safeties do arbitrary animations based on the defense not reacting to the offense or adjusting
I'm not going to argue that, Madden's AI is far from perfect, but the implication early in this thread was that "this is how you cover man to man, period", and that's just not the case.

Hell, I guarantee I haven't been 100% accurate in some of what I've said. It's been a long time since my coaching/playing days and coverage wasn't my forte either way (QB coach). But to imply that the leverage you saw in the Madden video would never happen in the NFL is plain bone headed.

I think I'll post a little video of my own. Some more Deion for ya... first play of the video... 6 seconds in, outside leverage against a post route.

-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-10-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leke4bears
am a db and i play insige almost every down. i play outside sometime if we are in zone coverage. i never play outside in man coverage, and i dont think any good db is going to play outside in man coverage. i want to see my db play inside 9 out of 10 time in madden 10.
I play college football and recievers here would LOVE to see you try that. You must have played middle or junior varsity football because playing inside 9 times out of 10 and solely relying on the safeties help will get you owned hard anywhere higher
Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #47
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
4. I just posted a video showing that Deon played Inside. I didn't look up Green's technique.
Just reread the post you were replying too, I typed that wrong... I meant to say Deion played outside a lot, Green almost exclusively. Deion had to play more inside because he had a tendency to lose technique going inside when he played on the defensive right side of the field (his left).

-Mark Twain.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #48
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFireXXI
I play college football and recievers here would LOVE to see you try that.
This is a good point as well... you have to play outside leverage now and then, just so the receivers aren't banking on you playing inside. (although, to be fair in defense of leke4bears, I assume he's taking HS ball, and most HSs do pretty much play inside exclusively- outside leverage is harder to play if you don't have elite speed).

Further point I made to Kane in chat; take the out route. vs. inside leverage with a good enough QB, it's almost unstoppable. There is no defense for the perfectly timed out route, and it's double bad when it's completed vs. inside technique because the receiver can turn it up field if the CB is just a half step late. Against good, physical outside technique, it's almost impossible to even run the out, much less complete it. If you see it, as a CB, and jump it, it's going back.

-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »