Home

A BIG game design Issue

This is a discussion on A BIG game design Issue within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
A BIG game design Issue

Playing the NCCA game I am starting to see a problem thats essentially breaking the defensive coverages that I hope is addressed in Madden 2010 and hopefully a patch for the NCAA game.

I talked about this last year at some time and its rearing its ugly head in the NCAA game. The fact that you can have a WR turn and catch no matter what route is called is negating my play calling.

I called a 4 deep zone with the OLB's playing the buzz zones and the mlb playing the middle hook zone. I did this anticipating the CPU throwing a corner route. Sure enough the X runs a backward C route. My DE put heat on the QB so he throws it at X while he is in the running upfield portion of the C route. This causes him to turn and look for the ball and he makes a catch in front of the LB playing dropping into the buzz zone.

That play stops THAT route but because the WR can turn to get the ball before he runs his route out it negates the good play call.

I dont know if this will be possible in madden, but if it is, it needs to be discussed (in a civil manner) I think this behavior of the game breaks alot of the zone coverages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: A BIG game design Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Playing the NCCA game I am starting to see a problem thats essentially breaking the defensive coverages that I hope is addressed in Madden 2010 and hopefully a patch for the NCAA game.

I talked about this last year at some time and its rearing its ugly head in the NCAA game. The fact that you can have a WR turn and catch no matter what route is called is negating my play calling.

I called a 4 deep zone with the OLB's playing the buzz zones and the mlb playing the middle hook zone. I did this anticipating the CPU throwing a corner route. Sure enough the X runs a backward C route. My DE put heat on the QB so he throws it at X while he is in the running upfield portion of the C route. This causes him to turn and look for the ball and he makes a catch in front of the LB playing dropping into the buzz zone.

That play stops THAT route but because the WR can turn to get the ball before he runs his route out it negates the good play call.

I dont know if this will be possible in madden, but if it is, it needs to be discussed (in a civil manner) I think this behavior of the game breaks alot of the zone coverages.
Is this the dreaded spin catch your talking about? or something different
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Cap
Rookie

OVR: 13

Are you familiar with what a rocket catch is?

Is this a rocket catch that's happening?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

Its not rocket catch and looks like the spin catch.

Note on rocket catch though. Not sure if this happened in last years game as I stumbled upon this looking at what the cpu does in certain situations. Lets say the cpu takes a log time in the pocket to throw. The Wrs are standing in place facing the line of scrimmage. If the cpu does not choose to run it will force a pass to one of these WR's.
When it does the WR's do the rocket catch.

I see it enough to were I go to practice mode to see if I can replicate it. If I wait in the pocket till the WRs complete their route and they are now standing in place. If I throw the ball to them theu auto rocket catch. I have completed a high percentage of passes like this also. I am using Florida state against Florida defense while testing.

Outside of these issues the game plays pretty decent. I am just hoping this is something looked at in the Madden game before its released if it plays the same.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Its not rocket catch and looks like the spin catch.

Note on rocket catch though. Not sure if this happened in last years game as I stumbled upon this looking at what the cpu does in certain situations. Lets say the cpu takes a log time in the pocket to throw. The Wrs are standing in place facing the line of scrimmage. If the cpu does not choose to run it will force a pass to one of these WR's.
When it does the WR's do the rocket catch.

I see it enough to were I go to practice mode to see if I can replicate it. If I wait in the pocket till the WRs complete their route and they are now standing in place. If I throw the ball to them theu auto rocket catch. I have completed a high percentage of passes like this also. I am using Florida state against Florida defense while testing.

Outside of these issues the game plays pretty decent. I am just hoping this is something looked at in the Madden game before its released if it plays the same.
You do know that a lot of problems that exists in NCAA 10 are not in Madden 10, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:

I hope that's not in madden 10. Sucks when the opposing team your playing against on offense throws a out/in/post/comeback route at the wrong time and the WR gets some sort of awr boost breaks off his route locates the football and attempts to make a play. I thought procedural awareness was for both sides of the ball.

If the WR has his back turned to the QB then he shouldn't know when to break off his route. I noticed this a lot with the madden nation/madden challenge players. Its almost like the WR has eyes in the back of his head. Though its not a game killer if you have stick skill.
R.I.P Sean Taylor #21

Washington Redskins
Los Angeles Lakers

XBOX 360 Gamertag: HOLLYWOOD III

Last edited by hollywood21; 07-12-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
You do know that a lot of problems that exists in NCAA 10 are not in Madden 10, right?
Its been in every other football title EA has put out for the last 8 years. If Ian could patch this up or fix this for madden 11 this would be a huge gift to the sim players and a dagger to arcade players.
R.I.P Sean Taylor #21

Washington Redskins
Los Angeles Lakers

XBOX 360 Gamertag: HOLLYWOOD III
Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #8
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood21
Its been in every other football title EA has put out for the last 8 years. If Ian could patch this up or fix this for madden 11 this would be a huge gift to the sim players and a dagger to arcade players.
You can't hope that it's fixed for Madden 11 if you don't even know if it is in Madden 10. Also, if it hasn't been fixed, it could be fixed through patches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »