Home

Run n Shoot playbook

This is a discussion on Run n Shoot playbook within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Run n Shoot playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansftw
I would love a run and shoot. Also, the west coast offense needs work (have you ever seen a WCO offense team with only one type of split back formation?).

As far as the run and shoot, the option routes would be nice, but there is also the consideration of formations. Any run and shoot is going to have a TON of four wide sets (since in the RandS you have the two regular wideouts and the two smaller ones built more like RBs- like Eric Metcalf, for example).

While they're at it they should add a Mike Martz playbook, since it is unique enough, with IT'S option routes, but most importantly, his ridiculous amounts of motions and shifts.

I would love to see all these traditional offenses and defenses in Madden. It even adds a bit of replay value, I think.
The run and shoot only use two formations. 4 wide and trips. some teams use motion to see what the def is doing. but for the most part the run and shoot is a small playbook. it can be done. all the wr do not use option routes. on any given play you will only have two wr at the most doing option routes. i can teach a class on the run and shoot as well as the run and gun, from the bills. you also do not need a small back. reggie hayward for atlanta and gary bronw from the oilers put up huge numbers. but we do need more than pro-style off to use. yeh the mike martz off would be great as well with the middle screens, quick traps and te screens, i can go on and on. but for an off used by many teams in the 90's atl,det,hou,jags and bills it should be considered. the run and shoot will make it's return. warren moon for life
Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 9

Oilers, Lions & Falcons were the only teams in the 90s that primarily used the run-n-shoot offense, but no one uses it as there primary formation now...i thought it was decent even though it left the running game a little too fragile but i doubt you'll see a full blown run-n-shoot playbook. all you can do is hope that next year has a create-a-play feature i guess.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 50

Did you name yourself run-n-shoot just because you were going to make this thread?
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Banned

it will just be nice to have. the playbook is just so bland. with the agreement ea has you think they would have more original pteam playbooks from past to present. if only i had a way to make my own playbook
Old 07-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

The Run & Shoot will never make a comeback to the NFL unless June Jones returns IMO.

There's an undeserved stigma attached to it because the Oilers, Lions and Falcons never won a superbowl with it. (It wasn't for lack of scoring). It's difficult to master but when it's on it's almost unfair - the defense is always wrong.

Think of the Run & Shoot offense as The Force - it's mysterious, misunderstood and scoffed at by skeptics but in the right hands a tremendous force for good ... and scoring TDs. And former Hawaii QB Colt Brennan is it's most reknowned Jedi Luke Skywalker. June Jones is Obi-Wan, Mouse Davis is Yoda and Jerry Glanville is Darth Vader ... cause you know, he wears black all the time.

But I digress

Last edited by speedkills; 07-15-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Banned

I know. the owners and the gm's say they don't won't there expensive qb's to get hit. i don't think moon,george or miller got hit more than a qb in a pro-style off. and i don't think no one will hire june jones do to the fight he had with george. but gilbride is still coaching after the fight he had with buddy ryan. but hope he does get a job soon. but i don't think he will take any thing other than a head coaching job. but we can keep mouse davis dream alive.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-n-shoot
The run and shoot only use two formations. 4 wide and trips. some teams use motion to see what the def is doing. but for the most part the run and shoot is a small playbook. it can be done.
Okay, but I consider the following to all be different formations

Code:

o            oo□oo           o
    o          o        o

o

o    oo□oo    o
o             o              o

o

o            oo□oo           o
    o          o        o

o

o    oo□oo    o
o             o              o

o

o            oo□oo            o
               o          o       o

o

o           oo□oo     o
               o             o    o

o

o            oo□oo              o
               o         o   o

o
Et cetera.

Each of these and more were used by the run and shoot teams of the 90s. At least the Falcons and Lions.

Also, I know for a fact that run and shoot teams sometimes used big formations, including I-form, etc (although if I recall, RB Craig Heyward lined up in the FB position, or Jamal Anderson- no real FB, if I recall). I have a couple of DVDs of the June Jones Falcons, and although rarely, they did sometimes run pro sets. As did the Lions.

I also know that when it came to trips formations, the run and shoot teams almost always worked the pass over near the overload, whereas West Coast Offense teams usually worked the one on one match up (from my various 90s NFL DVDs).

For example, with this formation

Code:
o            oo□oo            o
               o          o       o

o
You'd usually see the Falcons throw the ball to the right side, and the 49ers would almost always throw the ball to the left side. Again, this comes directly from NFL DVDs, so if colleges run the run and shoot differently, then I guess I'm just ignorant, lol.

Quote:
all the wr do not use option routes. on any given play you will only have two wr at the most doing option routes. i can teach a class on the run and shoot as well as the run and gun, from the bills.
The option routes are the one thing you can't pick out from watching NFL games. So, this is definitely something I did not know. I obviously ASSUMED that not every route would be an option route, since clearly sometimes you have route combinations strung together to get certain WRs open. But good to learn something new.

Quote:
you also do not need a small back. reggie hayward for atlanta and gary bronw from the oilers put up huge numbers.
When I said "backs" I didn't mean running backs. Obviously in the run and shoot a big back works great. But what I was talking about was the "slot backs." Again, guys like Eric Metcalf fit the mold of what I mean. I'm sure you get what I was saying now.

Quote:
but we do need more than pro-style off to use. yeh the mike martz off would be great as well with the middle screens, quick traps and te screens, i can go on and on. but for an off used by many teams in the 90's atl,det,hou,jags and bills it should be considered. the run and shoot will make it's return. warren moon for life
Yeah Warren Moon was the man, but I don't think the run and shoot in it's entirety will ever return. Maybe my biggest criticism with it is that it may be too complex. You have to think fast to run that offense. And of course, the obvious: teams built for the run and shoot cannot be built for short line running situations, because you only have so many roster spots and only so much time to practice certain plays. And additionally, sometimes it is a detriment to your team to score too quickly. Defense needs to rest. If you are lighting up the score board in seconds every play, your TEAM suffers. Just ask the 2000 Rams or the 07 Pats or the 99 Vikings. Sometimes you just gotta control the clock. Not saying the run and shoot can't do that. Just saying it's HARDER to control the clock passing than it is running.

But we already see bits and pieces of it today. And certainly will in the future.

Irregardless, I want to see the run and shoot in Madden, lol.

RIP Steve. You will always be my Hero.

Last edited by titansftw; 07-16-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Sorry for reviving such an old thread but I agree with the OP. I'd like to see the run and shoot in future madden games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimixiii
Oilers, Lions & Falcons were the only teams in the 90s that primarily used the run-n-shoot offense, but no one uses it as there primary formation now...i thought it was decent even though it left the running game a little too fragile but i doubt you'll see a full blown run-n-shoot playbook. all you can do is hope that next year has a create-a-play feature i guess.
I don't buy the idea of not having a popular scheme in the game solely because it has weaknesses. Every scheme has weaknesses. Heck, they put the original 46 bear defense in madden games year-after-year despite the creation of the West Coast Offense rendering it all but useless now.

The R&S was every bit as innovative and influential as the Buddy Ryan 46 defense. It deserves a spot in the game, IMHO

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »