Home

There is a lack of a defined USER identity in franchise mode which takes away from it

This is a discussion on There is a lack of a defined USER identity in franchise mode which takes away from it within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 50
Re: There is a lack of a defined USER identity in franchise mode which takes away fro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsfan46
I am with you all the way on this one....been asking for Create a Coach to be put back in on my last couple wish-lists.
But I think the most disturbing thing (maybe I am missing it...not 100% sure yet)...but NCAA 10 does NOT seem to have Create a Coach, so this is a bummer if they took it out too !

How much more immersed would you feel in Madden 10 (with all the cut scenes, coach scenes) if that guy looked like "YOU", from a good- new Create a Coach feature.

I know..I know....some people couldnt care less about this, GAMEPLAY first !....But ya know what, some do and EA is gonna keep having "coaches" in the game, might as well let us personalize them, that cant ever hurt !
It could hurt because it is taking up disk space that may barely get used by people. The devs already got rid of the Ring Builder feature so you know that they don't have disk space to waste. I'm not saying the idea is bad but you have to admit that it's not as important as many other things.

I doubt there are going to be an adequate amount of out-of-game additions besides franchise mode. There is no new feature that has been talked about recently except for the "defensive assist" feature but that is also an in-game addition.
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #10

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: There is a lack of a defined USER identity in franchise mode which takes away fro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Chargers4Now
It could hurt because it is taking up disk space that may barely get used by people. The devs already got rid of the Ring Builder feature so you know that they don't have disk space to waste. I'm not saying the idea is bad but you have to admit that it's not as important as many other things.

I doubt there are going to be an adequate amount of out-of-game additions besides franchise mode. There is no new feature that has been talked about recently except for the "defensive assist" feature but that is also an in-game addition.
Do you really think a "create-a-coach" feature is a disc space issue? Seriously? No way.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

This is something that bugs me too...I dunno Ian's take on it. But if I'm determining who to put in, who to take out, etc, etc, I would like to be able to see a character that looks a lil like me on the sidelines.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Something that has bugged me with Madden's franchise mode in recent years is that the game does not do a good job of placing the USER in a defined role. In NCAA's dynasty mode for instance, the user is firmly entrenched and treated as the head coach of his team. The game even allows you to create yourself or your character to be the head coach in the mode.

In Madden however, you don't really have a defined identity. You are the owner in some ways, you are the GM in some ways, and you are the head coach in some ways. Not only that, but unlike NCAA the game does not allow you or your character to have a "name in the game." You are just sort of playing "NFL team God."

I can remember past gen Madden's having an option to create yourself as a coach and to me, this small but subtle touch helped users be able to feel more immersed in their franchise. Franchise immersion/imagination has been a huge issue for me and several others and I think this is one of the main reasons and it has gone somewhat unnoticed.

I think Madden's direction is going for the USER to be the GM however what GM calls plays on Sundays? Also, if they are making us the GM, why can't we at least put our name (or our own fictional character's name) in franchise mode so that we actually feel like we are a part of the NFL and not just playing God over it? This is definitely one thing, albeit small and subtle, I think NCAA has right over Madden currently.
GREAT post, and I agree 100%!!!

I ALWAYS consider myself to be the new head coach of whatever team I choose to control, and I'm the type of coach that likes to call all plays. I miss the days of being able to edit the coach to at least have MY name, and maybe even alter him physically to at least look a bit more like myself. Why EA ever removed that option is beyond me .... maybe that gave them enough space to add "create a fan"!!! lol
Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyGotGrillz
And to quote Ian Cummings....are you the head coach on Sundays? Then your not in the game...

In all seriousness....I think that has more to do with the differences between the college game and the pro game. In college football, the coach is somewhat of a "football God." Everything related to the program goes through him. The NFL is different...there are many more components involved.
Yea sure, explain that to Bill Parcells, Bill Belichek, Mike Shanahan, etc, etc. Some coaches in the NFL control everything ... and that should at least be an option in Madden. Once again .....

"If it's in the game, it's in the game"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »