Home

Do You Think Each Game Will Feel Different?

This is a discussion on Do You Think Each Game Will Feel Different? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Do You Think Each Game Will Feel Different?

I had the same feeling in the past with Madden. Part of the problem is that most NFL teams play a similar style. As long as the good players in the game stand out among the average to bad ones I think it could be OK. Good presentation can go a long way to helping with this.

This could be the first time in a long time I buy Madden. Madden 10 is looking good. Madden '05 was the last Madden I bought and it had that deja vu feeling.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

Probably not.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

-“Let’s pick the Vikings for example. After researching the Vikings by watching all 16 regular season games, we found that out of 440 total first down plays, 271 (62%) were runs… We set the Overall Run percentage in Madden NFL 10 to that exact number. Of the 271 run plays, 64 runs were outside (22%). So 78% of the time in Madden NFL 10, you can expect the Vikings to be bringing it downhill right into your face.”

^^Things like this should make the games feel different. Hopefully it works as advertised.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 3

I think the whole idea behind bringing player ratings back down to earth was to create the feel of a true game. Madden 10 should defintly have a different feel from 09 if the player ratings work as intended.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 14

My main gripe with all EA games(Haven't played NCAA 10 yet).I wish they would setup team sliders in non franchise games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
-“Let’s pick the Vikings for example. After researching the Vikings by watching all 16 regular season games, we found that out of 440 total first down plays, 271 (62%) were runs… We set the Overall Run percentage in Madden NFL 10 to that exact number. Of the 271 run plays, 64 runs were outside (22%). So 78% of the time in Madden NFL 10, you can expect the Vikings to be bringing it downhill right into your face.”

^^Things like this should make the games feel different. Hopefully it works as advertised.
Nice! I like the sound of that.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

While NCAA and Madden are different, after having played NCAA for just two days, this is my experiance and impression:

Adembroski and I have set up to play 5 games online. The first game was a blow out as my Boise State Broncos over, around, and through Arizona State. The next game my Michigan Wolverines played a tight game against his ND Fighting Irish, but EA servers and my wireless connection was failing. We tried two more games before giving up, both of them where he was Arizona State again and I was ND. All three games where my connection failed were close, fun, match ups. Our 5th game was yesterday and like our first one, it was a blow out as my Fighting Irish ran over, around, and through Arizona State. This last game was not fun at all.

The fact of the matter is that the run game is unbalanced. Adembroski isn't the only person to have a hard time stopping the run. After playing only 6 ranked games online [all games with adembroski were unranked] I had over 1,500 yard on the ground and 27TDs. One game I only threw 2 passes in a win. Of those 6 games, my two losses came to other people who also ran the ball hard.

In my experiance, I think the cause of the problem is the "Game Plan" feature. The "Impact Blocks" option has your players sell out for big blocks but the draw back is more clipping penalties. The problem is you hardly ever get a clipping penalty but I have had a few plays were a WR has had 3, yes THREE, pancake blocks on one play. Also, as it stands, who cares if you get a clipping penalty on one play when on the next down or two you'll just break off another huge run anyway? It gets to the point that the D has to sell out to stop the sweep and counters to the outside that you are able to pound the ball up the gut, where your interior linemen also sell out and pancake the MLB and Safeties opening up TD runs as well. I don't find the running game to be as busted when you don't have the gameplan set to "impact block," though it is still very strong.

In regards to Madden, the game will and will not get stale at the same time. Football is "stale." You call runs and passes to try and get into the end zone, you play STs to try and change the momentum, and you do your best on D to stop the other guys and force turnovers. What keeps games from feeling stale is the outcome of these plays. In a recent game [of Madden] I gave up a TD on the Offense's first drive. Next the computer and I played a back and forth struggle with an exchange of punts. Near the end of the half the computer put up a FG and I returned the kick for a TD closing the gap to 3 at the half. I drove down in the middle of the 3rd to take the lead by 4 and gave up a TD on the next drive. I score a FG near the end of the game and the computer's QB was hit and fumbled the ball which was returned for a TD and the win. That was fun. That wasn't the same old stale game. However, that was rare.

The real problem I have with Madden and video football as recent as NCAA10/Madden 09 is that correct animations and logic do exsist in game, however, they only trigger rarely when they should trigger most of the time. I was watching some replays of my last game with adembroski and saw two different plays where he ran a sweep to the outside and the O-line double teamed my NT and the run side DE, then as the TE helped the Tackle seal off the DE, the TE released and moved to the second level to attack the MLB who was trying to run wide to chase the RB to the sideline and delayed him enough to help spring the back. It was crazy, the players made their blocks and gave the back room to run. On a pass play the Tackles formed a pocket as I tried to manually rush the edge and was sealed off giving him time to throw.

I want to see more plays where the Defensive lineman won the block sheding check rather than the Offensive lineman ignoring the defender. I would rather see the Offensive lineman win the impact block than have the defender run away from the play. I want to see the DB get beat on a route/pass than sit on a zone and move out of the way when the pass came to him allowing a big catch.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 6

"Feel" no - if the question is are you going to notice a difference between an exhibition game and the superbowl then no but I don't believe that a video game can actually do that. I do believe that the games will be playing different though. I think we'll be able to tell the difference between the Ravens and the Lions but not feel the difference between regular season and preseason.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »