Home

Do people REALLY want a Sim game?

This is a discussion on Do people REALLY want a Sim game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Do people REALLY want a Sim game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzing87
I don't think people would say that unless it happened often.
Unless what happened often? I'm not sure I follow your response.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I say that on any given play in the NFL you'll catch a player doing something stupid.

There must be a balance. If the CPU AI did everything right all the time, you'd never win a game, lol. I think the ultimate goal is to have the game mirror natural random human-error. How possible is that? Well, I wouldn't say very and certainly no time soon with the way video games are currently made.
Excellent points here. People will just have to accept the fact that this is a computer simulation of a human event. There will always be a disconnect there. Any mistakes they find a CPU player making, the could just as easily find in a real NFL game.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 8

I find myself torn on threads such as these.

On one hand, I'm paying $60, EA has no competition, I'm playing on an advanced gaming system (Xbox 360) with tremendous power and graphic capabilities, and Madden (and NCAA) have been around, more or less, for nearly 20 years. Why isn't the game perfect?

On the other hand, I consider the games that used to give me hours of fun that had one-tenth (if that) of the features, looks, and capabilities of these modern games. Geez, show me a video of Madden 10 back in 1995 and I would have prayed for a coma so I could wake up fourteen years later in the blink of an eye just to play the darned thing.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Exactly what I meant.

Sorry about any confusion fellas.

People that go ballistic because the CPU broke 3 tackles and won the game with a 70 yard run and say it's CPU AI cheating didn't see Leron McClain do that in week 16 against the Cowboys.

I just think, based on some of the comments in impression threads, that SOME posters need to realize there's gonna be times in a game when the inexplicable happens...that's sim.

Great points!!

I recommend that when football season commences, you watch some games with a focus on honestly trying to determine how many plays happen throughout the game that you might complain about if they happened in a game of Madden. I've done this and was surprised; it was more frequent than I expected. In saying this, I am not attempting to justify some of the glaring holes the past Maddens have had, I'm just simply suggesting that we may be able to question our ideas of realism. I think that is all the OP is stating.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Unless what happened often? I'm not sure I follow your response.
Just agreeing with what you said about people considering the big plays that happened already, would be ridiculous in Madden, if it happened often, then and only then the complaints would follow. I don't expect every 4th and 20+ play get converted unless the defense or gamer controlling the defense is horrible.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzing87
Just agreeing with what you said about people considering the big plays that happened already, would be ridiculous in Madden, if it happened often, then and only then the complaints would follow. I don't expect every 4th and 20+ play get converted unless the defense or gamer controlling the defense is horrible.
Oh, I see
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
If the following happened in Madden:

Dan Orlovsky running out of the back of the end zone would be called horrible AI.

Romo fumbling a snap and scrambling 30+ yards would be called cheese.

David Tyree catching a pass one handed with a safety hanging on him would be called CPU cheating.

The Ravens running for back to back 70+yard TD's against the Cowboys in week 16 would have been lamented as horrible AI, broken tackling sliders, etc...

McNabb's 4th and 26 completion would have been called the result of terrible defensive AI.

I post these few examples (I am sure you guys can think of many more) just to say that it is impossible to make everyone happy in a SIM game. We all have our own impressions of what is sim and a lot of times it's not in step with reality.

People expect a fierce pass rush every play but teams in the NFL average less than 5 sacks a game TOTAL for both teams.

Don't get me wrong, MADDEN 09 and all previous next gen versions SUCKED...but this year things look very good so far and I feel some people are REALLY nit-picking. Just looking at the demo impressions thread makes you realize some people have expectations that are out of whack (you really won't buy the game because the CPU hikes too quickly?????).

I am happy with the demo and accept Madden for what it is...a game. A game that tries to simulate real football, but can't get it just right because football is full of chaos and human mistakes and miracles. I accept THIS YEARS Madden as the best football game us next-geners have ever gotten.
My expectations about these (video) football games are starting to align with this type of thinking. Would I like an exact replica of reality in a football video game, hell yeah, but in reality these are games, leisure activities that should be enjoyed as such. I don't know if its the fact that I'm getting older or what. I just realize there are better things in life to enjoy and more significant things to complain about. Especially for those of us with a kid(s). Good Post!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #32
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

After the last 3-4 years of playing, I've finally decided what I REALLY want in a football game..............NO MOMENTUM METER! It's so simple! I'm looking forward to playing Madden again.

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »