Home

Are You Going to be an Elitist?

This is a discussion on Are You Going to be an Elitist? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are you going to be an elitist?
Yes 33 20.75%
No 126 79.25%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Are You Going to be an Elitist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Unfortunately $5.00 is not going to be enough to keep the cheesers/ glitchers out of the "Elite" Lobby. Hell I'd gladly pay $50.00 if EA could guarantee me a cheese free lobby. I'll most likely give this a shot with the hope that I may get better opponents in the "Elite" lobby, we'll see.

I've been saying for years that Microsoft should have an Xbox live Gold Adult membership for people that can prove they are 30 or older, and charge an extra $10.00 a year for it. EA's idea could be a step in the right direction. They just need to be able to guarantee the special lobby will live up to the "Elite" name.
Haha, I've met some awfully schmucky people over 30 ;-) But I understand, it'd have less 12 year olds running off at the mouth deserving five across the eyes.

I think there is certainly a market for something like this though -- I'm a causal gamer, and I think it'd be great if I could somehow find a not-super-competitive online league with mature, reasonable, non-exploit-using players just there to have a good time. I tend to avoid online madden and online games in general with anybody other than real-life friends because I know of no way to avoid all the hassles created by other users.

*sigh* I miss starcraft LAN parties.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
well of course ian cummings voted yes. lol. too bad he didn't chime in with his thoughts on the whole thing.
Ha! Damn...busted.

For me it's really about 2 things - 1) being in the upper echelon, while cheesy, is actually kind of cool to me. I like having a purple name on these forums, I like having the gold plated treatment in Madden.. 2) (and most importantly), I like being able to have the option segment my games with people that I KNOW are serious gamers. Now there's no doubt that serious cheesers will likely join in on the elite ranks, but there's also a damn good chance that a bunch of kids under 18 that don't have credit cards will get filtered out so you can get a much more adult experience. Also, we as a team are hoping to monitor all of the Elite leaderboards much more closely (since it will be smaller subset of people - we actually CAN look at it and analyze it), and ideally regularly clean out ranking on the cheaters or what have you.

So I agree with a lot of folks, it's not the end-all be-all, but anything 'premium' geared towards getting a much more enjoyable experience in online Madden games I welcome whole-heartedly...especially with a pretty small price-tag.

Like the one guy said above, I'd probably pay $50 if it guaranteed me good sim quality games...so hopefully by paying just 10% of that equals at least 10% more of my online ranked games are against sim players.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles931
hmm gold plating........lol jk. idk if i would. $5 is pretty cheap. I think i'll buy it cause im a Madden vet and i want to play with more mature players.
Buddy, the guys paying for this mode are certainly NOT going to be the mature players. They are going to be freestyle/tournament/win at ALL COSTS players. Some might be mature, but the majority will glitch and DC and do anything to get the W.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 39

It's only 5$ so why not?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

I personally don't like it. Having a highlighted name doesn't make you special, it just means you're willing to pay $5 for that gold name, and a couple of other features. If the point was to separate the cheesers/glitchers from the sim/others, make some way other than money the reason for the separation. If the fact that kids/exploiters wouldn't have a CC, why not make the price point $2 or $3. The initial DLC has set the bar and its only up from $5, where the extra features compared to other DLC in the Marketplace offers much more. Edit: This could be another topic, but why not create a Sim lobby, and someway to differentiate from those not supposed to be there. Maybe some kind of stat to see their 4th down tries,(This may be already implemented) among other things.

Last edited by Frank784; 07-26-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 29

Let me preface this by stating that I think you have done a great job on the game this year and I will be getting the game at midnight release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Ha! Damn...busted.

For me it's really about 2 things - 1) being in the upper echelon, while cheesy, is actually kind of cool to me. I like having a purple name on these forums, I like having the gold plated treatment in Madden..
Paying for a gold name tag is like joining a frat... There should be and will be a social stigma for this in the Madden/OS Community among quite a few people.

Quote:
2) (and most importantly), I like being able to have the option segment my games with people that I KNOW are serious gamers. Now there's no doubt that serious cheesers will likely join in on the elite ranks, but there's also a damn good chance that a bunch of kids under 18 that don't have credit cards will get filtered out so you can get a much more adult experience.
You can go to Wal Mart and pay $10-20 for XBL Points with stuff called cash or people called 'mom and dad'. Haven't you heard of Halo? $20 worth in extra maps for an M rated game that somehow has a lot of kids under 15 playing on them - without credit cards.

Quote:
Also, we as a team are hoping to monitor all of the Elite leaderboards much more closely (since it will be smaller subset of people - we actually CAN look at it and analyze it), and ideally regularly clean out ranking on the cheaters or what have you.
I understand the logic of a smaller 'test group' leading to more active 'policing' of the leaderboards, etc. But this is a slap in the face to the millions of people that won't be taking part in the $5 Experiement after having already spent $65. I know some people will say "What's another $5 you cheap SOB?"... and they have the right to feel that way. I probably am cheap, but there will be millions more that feel the same as me.

Quote:
So I agree with a lot of folks, it's not the end-all be-all, but anything 'premium' geared towards getting a much more enjoyable experience in online Madden games I welcome whole-heartedly...especially with a pretty small price-tag.
When you say a much more enjoyable experience I can't help but feel like everyone else will get a very mediocre experience if they don't buy into this Elitist Status.

Quote:
Like the one guy said above, I'd probably pay $50 if it guaranteed me good sim quality games...so hopefully by paying just 10% of that equals at least 10% more of my online ranked games are against sim players.
$115 for a game to be what it should be out of the box is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Not to mention for an annual release...good lord, some people amaze me.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 7

Ill pay to play All Madden online. I dont see why you have to pay though, ugg.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Now there's no doubt that serious cheesers will likely join in on the elite ranks, but there's also a damn good chance that a bunch of kids under 18 that don't have credit cards will get filtered out so you can get a much more adult experience.
So, these kids under 18 can talk mommy and daddy into getting them a 60$ game from the store, but can't figure out how to beg them to let them spend 5$ without leaving the house?
In retrospect, we will all be laughing at the unchanged amount of cheese in the "elite" whatever you call it.
We won't be laughing at the fact that EA charged us to use all-madden online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »