Home

AFC West Vid Up

This is a discussion on AFC West Vid Up within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: AFC West Vid Up

How ironic is it that TheWatcher is Watching on an SDTV... Does that cause you to miss some thing when Watching?

I'm kidding, but only sort of, because HD is so much better than SDTV.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

nice.. Raiders pwning the donkies in those clips
Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimixiii
uh...wow...that's the most backwards thing i've ever seen/heard ...old crt's better than lcd?!? did i read that right?

but as far as the video it was alright, guess they wanted to make a vid so people won't think the game is too over the top.

on somewhat of a side note, EA needs to pull those Gamestop commercials, the animation on those commercials make the game look so bad even if it isn't the actually game itself.
Actually, it's not backwards at all. I also did not say "old CRT's are better than LCD's".

Let me restate this again...

LCD's have better resolution than a standard CRT, that's a fact we all know that. But they cannot beat even a standard CRT in color depth, contrast, or brightness, or refresh rate (and I'm talking about modern CRT models, not something from 1985). These are technical facts that can be freely found on any audio-visual resource.

You should also be aware that there have been CRT's manufactured with 1080P capability even before 1080P was the goal standard that LCD manufacturers wanted to reach. Sony manufactured a line of Trinitrons for a little while that did 1080P, and there is no question whatsoever that they have a far better picture quality than any LCD ever made or that will be made for a long time. I've actually used several myself. They are considered a gold standard to anyone doing graphic design work not just because of clarity but because of the "perfect circle" necessity and they are still widely used for that purpose.

Just because CRT's aren't being manufactured in mass anymore doesn't mean they were no good or that LCD actually offered better picture quality. All of that is false. Manufacturers jumped on the LCD bandwagon in part because they are cheaper to store and ship and as the tech became less expensive it made sense to go LCD exclusively.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 07-24-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing
How ironic is it that TheWatcher is Watching on an SDTV... Does that cause you to miss some thing when Watching?

I'm kidding, but only sort of, because HD is so much better than SDTV.
That's a matter of opinion unless you're stating fact like the resolution of an HD set is higher which it of course is.

Again though, as I've stated, I do own several HD sets (two 720p's and one 1080p). The resolution of an HD set is higher and that's all fine and dandy, but the color (blacks especially, brightness, contrast, refresh)... it's still not there yet and that goes for any LCD on the market.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 07-24-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #21

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Pretty good, pretty good. I liked the vid but, I wish they had shawne merriman sacking the QB then doing his signiture move or at least LT doing his after a TD. What I really wanted to see was shawne merriman doing his signiture move after a sack since nobody got to see it in 09 because, the camera didn't stay on him after the sack.

Ian said the camera will stay on merriman after the sack a while back when it did happen so thats one of the first things i'll be looking for when the game comes out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Actually, it's not backwards at all. I also did not say "old CRT's are better than LCD's".

Let me restate this again...

LCD's have better resolution than a standard CRT, that's a fact we all know that. But they cannot beat even a standard CRT in color depth, contrast, or brightness, or refresh rate (and I'm talking about modern CRT models, not something from 1985). These are technical facts that can be freely found on any audio-visual resource.

You should also be aware that there have been CRT's manufactured with 1080P capability even before 1080P was the goal standard that LCD manufacturers wanted to reach. Sony manufactured a line of Trinitrons for a little while that did 1080P, and there is no question whatsoever that they have a far better picture quality than any LCD ever made or that will be made for a long time. I've actually used several myself. They are considered a gold standard to anyone doing graphic design work not just because of clarity but because of the "perfect circle" necessity and they are still widely used for that purpose.

Just because CRT's aren't being manufactured in mass anymore doesn't mean they were no good or that LCD actually offered better picture quality. All of that is false. Manufacturers jumped on the LCD bandwagon in part because they are cheaper to store and ship and as the tech became less expensive it made sense to go LCD exclusively.
I own a CRT, LCD 1080p, DLP 1080p. And in my informed opinion, Completely disagree with you. Not going to get into a war, but i feel it's simply personal preference.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainesdaddy
I own a CRT, LCD 1080p, DLP 1080p. And in my informed opinion, Completely disagree with you. Not going to get into a war, but i feel it's simply personal preference.
Not going to get into a war either (lol, who asked for one?) as you cannot dispute a measured, concrete technical fact. CRT's simply have better color depth by a measured number, higher brightness levels by a measure number, deeper contrast and deeper blacks all by measured numbers, and an unmatchable refresh rate by measured numbers (it completely tramples any other tech in refresh rate, TRAMPLES). Again, it is technical fact not opinion. Also, what I mentioned about graphic design is true, just ask any real pro designer. In fact when I was at EA I happened to see several CRT's around the office. Any graphic designer worth his salt knows that an HD CRT (they do exist) is going to give him more accurate fine detail and color than any LCD can, that's why they use them.

I have nothing to gain financially by mentioning those things and I really don't care what people choose to watch, lol. The research is out there and it's incredibly easy to find. You can read it for yourself.

But you are correct that it is about personal preference in terms of what you prefer to look at. And in that regard you really have no disagreement since my posts express that, but it still doesn't negate technical fact even though I think you guys are wishing it does.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 07-24-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

lol im over here like wft is crt then i googled crt vs lcd & it gave me what the watcher is saying pretty much but it did mention

"Many graphic designers still use the very expensive large CRT monitors in their work because of the color advantages. Of course, this color ability does degrade over time as the phosphors in the tube break down."

so if your crt is old then maybe u are experiencing a placebo effect where u useto get deeper colors & now they are about the same

o yeah that clip was weak..not enough raiders

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »