Home

A theory about bad defense and difficulty level

This is a discussion on A theory about bad defense and difficulty level within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
A theory about bad defense and difficulty level

Shortly ago I posted my complaints in the demo impressions thread about how my pass coverage seemed fundamentally broken, ie. in man they give too much of a cushion or give away the inside to easily and in zone they don't pay much attention to anything but their zone pattern. I also noticed that the CPU seemed to have no trouble whatsoever keeping up in man and covering the right guys in zone. I was talking to my friend about this, and he proposed that instead of it just being broken (since clearly the coding is there for competent D) that maybe the difficulty level is the cause. (I suppose this isn't a huge revelation for some, but bear with me)

Sure enough, I fire it up on Rookie (instead of All-Pro that I have been playing on), and my secondary is playing just as intelligently as the CPU plays me in the higher levels. So....I'm thinking there is a possible fix for this. With the custom difficulty, I could put everything on All-Pro, but leave the Pass D on Rookie or Pro right? There will still be way too much pressure and interceptions and generally bad decisions by the QB, so do you guys think that with the sliders (we are supposed to get CPU AI sliders right?), these things could be adjusted so that there would be a competent passing offense by the CPU with a competent pass defense by my AI teammates?

Also, to stray slightly from the topic, the deeper issue is the way I think the difficulty is programmed (and I have this same issue with other sports games like FIFA) which is just to make your AI players less capable rather than just making the CPU capable of making smarter choices. I absolutely hate this with a passion and feel like it is a fundamental flaw in sports gaming.

Last edited by ElephantEyelash; 07-24-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: A theory about bad defense and difficulty level

The user defense on All-Pro is Broken. I posted about this in the huge thread, but of course it just got lost in the shuffle of blind praise. I'll be fair the game has come a long way, and there should be legit praise.

But the 5min demo is far.. far from perfect. I may get some heat for this, but I'm inclined to think that some of those glowing posts are even planted from.. lets just say, certain entities that may have an agenda to propagate sales hype. Just a thought.

Last edited by vision; 07-24-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have noticed the same thing on all-pro as well. You are absolutely correct in saying that the user's defense is less capable. I assume we are all playing the 5 minute version.

Just wondering, is anyone who is playing the 1 minute version seeing the same things? I heard it seemed to be the more polished version from a couple people. I don't have a 360 so I can't verify. If anyone can, I'd appreciate...
Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I did notice that the 1 minute demo seemed a little more polished. Even the graphics seem to have AA. I'll play t demo again, and just play man coverage to see if it is fairly consistent.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

i play on all madden and its the same problem. there are even times my players would freeze for a sec after the snap...like they'll take a step or two then stop (freeze in position) and then continue on w/ their assignment.

there are times when im tryin to blitz manually w/ my FS and it'll freeze me for a sec too..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

You right...completely. The user defense is alot stupider then the CPU's on all-pro. As far as I'm concerned, it's broken and needs patched if possible.

Also, the CPU secondary is like, uber physic. I had one DB running BEHIND my WR who I sent a perfect lob to. The DB does a 360 spin AGAINST his momentum, leaps up with one hand and intercepts it.

It's things like this that just...should never happen and it's not possible for me to overlook.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Does anyone think putting the pass d on pro and trying to supplement it with sliders would actually work? I'm not sure what sliders we will have at our disposal, but I think even if I bumped up something like QB accuracy, it might not help if the decision making is automatically bad on the lower rating.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

we are not playing the final version of the game...i'm hoping it will be fixed before there is a need for a patch lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »