Home

Run Blocking

This is a discussion on Run Blocking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #57
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Run Blocking

Has anybody tried adjusting sliders in the demo? Also remember in the final build there will be CPU and HUM sliders, that should help the running game. I understand the sliders really helped out NCAA.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #58
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys
On all-madden my "cowboys" blockers are getting abused. But the AI on the other side "Giants" are running draws,stretches,counters etc. and are marvelous at picking up my guys, doubling then getting to the next level. So I am confident the logic is in the game, just isn't that good when on all-madden for the user.
This is just it, I see the logic in action on any given play working just fine. I am so upset that in order to make the game harder, they make our players dumber. I honestly think on All-Pro, for most every down your players should have a good idea on what to do adn how to do it and that the ratings should decide a lot of the outcomes with the small random chance worked in. I don't mind if I get blown up in the backfield because my line is bad I mind getting blown up a lot because my line runs past and ignores defenders because I am on All-Madden mode or something.

While this is a passing play, here is an example of what I do and do not want to see.

The RG gets flat out beat on this play, but the center and LG are acting like fools. Fine, my RG gets beat, I take a sack, that's cool, that's sim. The LG and Center are not sim. This is the kind of stuff that, well, drives me to make videos. This kind of stuff is common on almost every down. 2 or 3 players doing their job on the line whiel the other 2 or 3 are not.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #59
Pro

parrothead's Arena

Is it just the movements/animations that bother you, or the result?
Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #60
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Is it just the movements/animations that bother you, or the result?
I am bothered by the logic driving these animations. the Center in that video should stay home blocking the center of the line and "hand off" the DT to the LG and maybe even help the LG block him. The LG should stand there and "watch" the DT go by him adn wait for the center to fail his block to then help out.

A great example of the computer doing this correctly is here: please skip ahead to around 2:17 and just watch how the LT and LG "trade" blocking assignments.

I really don't want to post bunch of videos anymore, but I am also trying to get better and just do 20sec-ish ones with my example and use text for my point.

Madden can work "right." Often times, however, it just doesn't. We just see a lot of fail.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #61
Pro

parrothead's Arena

Good point, it seems your simply looking for consistency in the animations. I'd agree, I personally can live with it, but I definitely see it and wouldn't complain if it was fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #62
Banned

OVR: 28

I've been a 2k fan and football purist for a long time. The blocking is not perfect, nor is it perfect in 2k's games. However, not trying to be over critical here of some of you, but I think a lot of the "problems" you guys are experiencing are because you don't really know how to run in football. I've been a big madden ***** for years, and I can admit that after playing this game, the blocking seems fine. It sounds like some of you expect your run plays to work EVERY time. Sometimes, holes DON'T open up. Sometimes, the D blows up the play. Other times you just get a 3 yard gain. You have to be patient and wait for your blocks. I've been playing on All Pro with the cards, and I haven't had too tough a time running the ball. This actually seems like the most realistic madden yet when I run the ball. There can be missed assignments at times and other such nuances, but that is going to happen. That's why it's called artificial intelligence
Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I've been a 2k fan and football purist for a long time. The blocking is not perfect, nor is it perfect in 2k's games. However, not trying to be over critical here of some of you, but I think a lot of the "problems" you guys are experiencing are because you don't really know how to run in football. I've been a big madden ***** for years, and I can admit that after playing this game, the blocking seems fine. It sounds like some of you expect your run plays to work EVERY time. Sometimes, holes DON'T open up. Sometimes, the D blows up the play. Other times you just get a 3 yard gain. You have to be patient and wait for your blocks. I've been playing on All Pro with the cards, and I haven't had too tough a time running the ball. This actually seems like the most realistic madden yet when I run the ball. There can be missed assignments at times and other such nuances, but that is going to happen. That's why it's called artificial intelligence
If it was a missed assignment, I expect that lineman to tackle someone else rather than doing a super spin not knowing what they are doing and end up blocking no one. The play art has the player blocking the person in front of him. Why isn't he blocking the person in front of him? When the OL does block, I still get tackled as soon as I run past them.

I don't expect every run play to happen every time. If it doesn't work, I would like to think because the defense picked a good play not because of faulty bug in which the OL does nothing at all.

Should I be patient when returning kicks because I get swarmed every single time as my blockers up the field does nothing?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
They say reading is fundamental, and they also say comprehension is an art form that is lost on millions. You know "they" say that, I'm just saying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »