Home

"SIM-STYLE" ballers..what goes on in your head?

This is a discussion on "SIM-STYLE" ballers..what goes on in your head? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: "SIM-STYLE" ballers..what goes on in your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGames
i dont play "sim" i play madden, its what a real competitive gamer does and ill tell why that is....we compete!!! and understand what there is in the game we have to do to win!!! that is a reason why all these player so happy about madden being close to "SIM" will be very dissapointed, players like me will always master the game from A standpoint, doesnt matter if its "SIM-LIKE" or videogameish, so to tell you the truth adjusting to the APF style of qb wont be a problem, and to let you in on a secret, that pefect pocket really isnt, i know something you dont
Thats the problem. What Madden needs to do, and is on its way there, is it needs to be where Joe Gibbs can pick the game up and do alright. He knows the game inside and out and should be able to play a good game. Peyton Manning should be able to read a defense in Madden and be able to audible to a good play.

The thing is, Madden wasn't set up with this mindset at first. It was set up so little kids could win and win big. It has gotten pretty bad at times, but if Madden 10 is a sign of whats to come. By Madden 12, we might see Madden Nation and see people running the ball, then calling a PA and staying in the pocket and throwing the ball to the open man.

― Plato
Old 07-26-2009, 02:30 AM   #50
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
i dont play "sim" i play madden, its what a real competitive gamer does and ill tell why that is....we compete!!! and understand what there is in the game we have to do to win!!! that is a reason why all these player so happy about madden being close to "SIM" will be very dissapointed, players like me will always master the game from A standpoint, doesnt matter if its "SIM-LIKE" or videogameish
See, I just don't entirely buy that. I'm sim and I've been sim since 2k1 and when I play 2K8, even against the best, I can hold my own or win. In Madden I'm just...pitiful because the entire game rewards arcade gameplay. I mean, I end up having to play like an 8 year old just to have a chance because the other guy is acting like an idiot.

Point is, if you came over to APF for a weekend and plays the best of the best, you'd get your butt handed to you in a doggie bag. They'd make you look like a 3 year old. The same could be said for them playing the best Madden players.

It's not easy going from arcade to sim. Staying in the pocket is going to completely change this game online and give sim ballers the advantage.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
I definitely respect your post and your input

you wrote alot so i cant reply to ething but to answer one of the main points about "scheme and stick", im a firm believer on both. you can get by with just "stick" and with just scheme, but true ballers have both. to touch on your story about playing a game where u were playing sim the thing about "sim" ballers is this.....your not playing MADDEN, and thats why there are so many complaints, until you start playing MADDEN, you will be an average or less, above average, very good; but NEVER and ELITE madden player.

so remember this.....the next time your just chilling and someone asks you "do you play madden?" and you say "yes", are you really?
Stick skills are not hard to come by, lets get serious. I play MANY games, I had a incredibly good record on SC4 when I played it and DOA4, fighting games take a lot of these "Stick Skillz" you speak of.

A lof of people here HAVE THE stick skillz to play these games. The problem is most don't want to resort to exploiting the game. It's not like you have to born with stick skills or something, you learn the buttons and by experience you get better.

In sports games though, the best are usually exploiters. Even for a series like NBA 2k which tries to be as sim as possible, guys still abused what they could ignoring that none of that crap would be done in actual games.

I wish the arcade sports games would step their game up, take some of the crowd with them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #52

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
What Madden needs to do, and is on its way there, is it needs to be where Joe Gibbs can pick the game up and do alright.
Don't you think we should at least get a good coach?

Joke to lighten the mood a bit.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #53
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
i dont play "sim" i play madden, its what a real competitive gamer does and ill tell why that is....we compete!!! and understand what there is in the game we have to do to win!!! that is a reason why all these player so happy about madden being close to "SIM" will be very dissapointed, players like me will always master the game from A standpoint, doesnt matter if its "SIM-LIKE" or videogameish, so to tell you the truth adjusting to the APF style of qb wont be a problem, and to let you in on a secret, that pefect pocket really isnt, i know something you dont
And this mindset is what drives me crazy. I respect that you want to play Madden like the video game it is, however that is a slap in the face of the sport Madden is trying to emulate. The "best madden player in the world" shouldn't be the best at abusing the video game to it's fullest, but be one of the best at football IMO. How many "ballers" don't even know anything about football? I am sure you do, but many don't and that is a problem.

I was watching an episode of Madden Nation of ESPN 2, or more like it was on ESPN 2 and that show was on, and it was the Madden 09 serise. "The Truth" was on it and when he was told 09 wasn't the same game as 08, he was actually scared to paly 09. He refused to man up and play in the first challenge.

For reasons I gave before, these tourny ballers don't understand football. They understand Madden. from listenign to them and the impression I get from you and others like yourself sir, you think this is a bad thing.

I respect that you are going to take Madden home on the 14th and "lab" until you find "exploits" to take online and surf youtube or what ever else it is non-sim Madden Ballers do to find exploits and cheats because to them, Madden is a means to make money via events. This is the problem when cash prizes and video games mix. wghen real cold cash is on the line, you are goign to to do anyhing to win, as you should. As a result, true football is the victim.

What I see in Madden 10 though are the steps toward bering the end to a lot of cheese. just liek slide protection bringing the end of a lot of nano blitzes, branching windows, slower more realistic game speed, improved interacions and AI, momentum and many many other features will help remove classic cheese play styles. The FB dive is a solid NFL play, but in madden is was unbalanced and unreasitic. So, tourny ballers used the FB dive a lot. it gave them and advantage. playmaker gave you an unfair and unsim advantage. It had to go. Honestly, when line interactions and the AI is tuned for an even more sim experiacne the playmaker should return. Right now, it is still an exploit and shouldn't be allowed.

Again I say, true madden skills should coinside with true NFL skills. Playes will still find exploits, but it doesn't look like the old one are there anymore and that is a step in the right direction. I cannot honestly imagine what the next exploit will be, however we think it could come in the form of the wildcat. defensively it stil looksl ike calling a nickle dime or quartes D and audibling into goal line is still a way to play cheese ball having players on the LOS ready to stop the run, but in zone with fast players ready to play pass D. I think that brusing backs like Brandon Jacods and hopefully Frank Gore and better offensive line play tough will destroy these DBs who are now in a goalline formation.

The more sim the game is and the more you are forced to paly like you do on Sunday's, the better Madden is. this way your true football skills are tested and not your stick skills. you stick skills will be tested in how well you run the ball, how well you really user catch and not exploit the DBs. the better your sticks are the beter you shoudl be able to play MLB and cover both the pass and run like a MLB does in real life.

What say you sir?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #54
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You might even be stretching it by including the word football into your description.
I hate using the term "lol" but I actually lolled in real life.

I consider myself a sim guy and I hate playing NCAA online because to compete with most of the guys I have to throw all of my football knowledge out the window and call 3 plays the whole game. Quarter DE Contain, and 2 plays on offense that I know like the back of my hand. It's not fun at all when I play guys, like the OP, and I have to resort to these tactics to stay competitive. I love playing a guy who is playing real football and we can see who is the better play caller.

I can't see how people think it's fun to call the same passing play over and over and over again and rocket catching with Plaxico, Megatron and other big receivers. I honestly just don't see the joy in doing that. It just seems like a big waste of time because every game ends up being the same. Drop back, lob, jump 20 feet in air, catch ball. Just don't see how that interests anyone. Football is a very physical and mental game. It should require a lot of thinking a forethought to be able to beat your opponent. You should win games with your scheme not stick skills.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #55
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
See, I just don't entirely buy that. I'm sim and I've been sim since 2k1 and when I play 2K8, even against the best, I can hold my own or win. In Madden I'm just...pitiful because the entire game rewards arcade gameplay. I mean, I end up having to play like an 8 year old just to have a chance because the other guy is acting like an idiot.

Point is, if you came over to APF for a weekend and plays the best of the best, you'd get your butt handed to you in a doggie bag. They'd make you look like a 3 year old. The same could be said for them playing the best Madden players.

It's not easy going from arcade to sim. Staying in the pocket is going to completely change this game online and give sim ballers the advantage.
i hear and clearly see your point, now hear and see mine

this is not 2k8!!!! its madden

PLAY MADDEN

and once again you do not have to stay in the pocket
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #56
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You might even be stretching it by including the word football into your description.
I guess you're right. Nothing but garbage arcade trash.

I look at non sim players are dirty players who are so obsessed with winning they'll use any exploit to do so. Non sim players playing against each other aren't playing a football simulator. They are just trying to outperform each other on the sticks with little gameplan running 2 cheap plays the entire game. That's not football. That's garbage arcade trash.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »