Home

The deep ball.

This is a discussion on The deep ball. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #25
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: The deep ball.

I haven't had a problem completing the deep ball. I'm more of a smashmouth run guy with a couple short to mid range passes in between, but when I see the D stack the box I usually hot route a fade route and see if they're playing man.

Try waiting for man coverage, because throwing deep when the CPU is playing cover 2 is asking for the ball to get picked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
If I have a wr 95 spd and you have corner on him in one on one 85 speed you are asking to get burnt. In this game he may burn him on a post or deep out, but never a streak. Might be something that was already tweaked. But if not thats a huge mistake.

A streak is as much part of football as a HB dive.
If that was the case, guys like Devin Hester and Ted Ginn would lead the league in receiving
Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
If that was the case, guys like Devin Hester and Ted Ginn would lead the league in receiving
Instead of guys like Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald who... run streak routes frequently... err, wait a minute...

Deep passing is a perfectly reasonable strategy in football. The AI in the game should be good enough to prevent you from going deep over and over again without resorting to cheating.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #28
Rookie

aceoye's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Anyone else having major trouble passing deep. I was playing the 1 min demo and thought the reason was because the QBs I was using only had 88 THP. I went and reserved my copy yesterday, because other than this and small issues with the running game I like madden. But even big ben under thows most deep balls.

It seems no QB can throw more than 40 yards. When we all know even weak arm QB like Quinn can easily throw it 50-60 yards.
dont worry everyone had the deep ball issue like in last years demo, you'll get use to it like in madden 09,soon you'll be throwing it deep well if your playing against me you'll get it picked off though lol
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Anyone else having major trouble passing deep. I was playing the 1 min demo and thought the reason was because the QBs I was using only had 88 THP. I went and reserved my copy yesterday, because other than this and small issues with the running game I like madden. But even big ben under thows most deep balls.

It seems no QB can throw more than 40 yards. When we all know even weak arm QB like Quinn can easily throw it 50-60 yards.
nah man..i've tossed a few deep balls..but i will say this.. its MUCH MUCH less then last year. Play action does wonders sometimes though...

Also custom sliders in the demo work great for these kind of issues
Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Instead of guys like Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald who... run streak routes frequently... err, wait a minute...

Deep passing is a perfectly reasonable strategy in football. The AI in the game should be good enough to prevent you from going deep over and over again without resorting to cheating.
Moss and Fitzgerald have freakish jumping ability, that is why the are so dangerous. I was referring to the poster that thought just because a WR is faster than the CB, he should be open deep everytime he has single coverage
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Moss and Fitzgerald have freakish jumping ability, that is why the are so dangerous. I was referring to the poster that thought just because a WR is faster than the CB, he should be open deep everytime he has single coverage
Ah, understood. I agree, they have freakish hands too, which Hester lacks. I know speed has historically been far too important in madden -- guys can't actually get up to speed for 20-30 yards anyway! About the only place where it should come into play is catching up with a guy who has broken away. When a receiver gets open on a streak, it's usually because they faked the corner right out of his shoes, not because they're any faster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #32
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Ah, understood. I agree, they have freakish hands too, which Hester lacks. I know speed has historically been far too important in madden -- guys can't actually get up to speed for 20-30 yards anyway! About the only place where it should come into play is catching up with a guy who has broken away. When a receiver gets open on a streak, it's usually because they faked the corner right out of his shoes, not because they're any faster.
There's also an accounting for the FS and/or SS. They may be playing zone or perhaps in on double coverage with a star WR. It seems like too many Madden players have become conditioned to think you need to throw it deep every other play (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular). While there are a few QBs who can do that, a lot of them have only a few good deep throws in them a game (if that). The demo feels like there has been an adjustment to prevent the constant deep ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »