Home

GAME BREAKING BUG - Madden 10 and NCAA 10

This is a discussion on GAME BREAKING BUG - Madden 10 and NCAA 10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
GAME BREAKING BUG - Madden 10 and NCAA 10

This bug is related to press coverage. I discovered this in NCAA 10 and confirmed that it also exists in the Madden 10 demo. This bug did not exist in NCAA 2009 or Madden 2009.

I noticed that, when up against man to man press coverage, receivers seemed to have a lot easier time getting open if they lined up on the left side of the line of scrimmage than if they lined up on the right. It didn't make any sense. An average receiver going against a good defender on the left side of the line would have a better chance of getting open than a good receiver going against an average defender on the right side of the line.

The cause is this: When a receiver is pressed at the line of scrimmage, he will ALWAYS release to his right side. By release I mean he gets by the receiver by making a move to his right. So if he lines up on the left side of the line and runs a slant/cross/post/In against press coverage, he'll create a little bit of separation from the defender and get open. If he runs the same pattern from the right of the line, he won't get open. The defender will actually be a step ahead of the receiver instead of a step behind. The exception is when the receiver completely burns the defender and blows by him at the line of scrimmage; then it doesn't make much difference which side he lined up on.

To me, this is a game breaker. I won't play NCAA10 again until/unless this gets fixed, and I also won't buy Madden10. There's just no point; I'd rather play the 2009 versions. If you mostly play against the CPU, then it might not be that apparent because the CPU doesn't play press coverage that often.

Edited to add this video: I took a video to illustrate my point. I made some changes to the depth charts to show how dramatically this glitch affects gameplay. On the right side of the line, Texas's best 2 WRs are going up against OU players who aren't even real cornerbacks. I subbed in backup halfbacks Madu and Calhoun. Their CB rating is 40. On the left side, I put in defensive players at Wide Receiver. They are going up against Oklahoma's 2 best corners. As you can see from the video, which side of the line of scrimmage he lines up on has a much greater impact on a WR's ability to get open against man to man press coverage than how good he is or how good the defender covering him is.

Last edited by jhawkmike; 07-28-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: GAME BREAKING BUG - Madden 10 and NCAA 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkmike
This bug is related to press coverage. I discovered this in NCAA 10 and confirmed that it also exists in the Madden 10 demo. This bug did not exist in NCAA 2009 or Madden 2009.

I noticed that, when up against press coverage, receivers seemed to have a lot easier time getting open if they lined up on the left side of the line of scrimmage than if they lined up on the right. It didn't make any sense. An average receiver going against a good defender on the left side of the line would have a better chance of getting open than a good receiver going against an average defender on the right side of the line.

The cause is this: When a receiver is pressed at the line of scrimmage, he will ALWAYS release to his right side. By release I mean he gets by the receiver by making a move to his right. So if he lines up on the left side of the line and runs a slant/cross/post/In against press coverage, he'll create a little bit of separation from the defender and get open. If he runs the same pattern from the right of the line, he won't get open. The defender will actually be a step ahead of the receiver instead of a step behind. The exception is when the receiver completely burns the defender and blows by him at the line of scrimmage; then it doesn't make much difference which side he lined up on.

To me, this is a game breaker. I won't play NCAA10 again until/unless this gets fixed, and I also won't buy Madden10. There's just no point; I'd rather play the 2009 versions. If you mostly play against the CPU, then it might not be that apparent because the CPU doesn't play press coverage that often.
You must haven't played NCAA 10 too much. The CPU presses alot and is good at it too. That's an interesting theory you have though. In NCAA, I've noticed that when I get pressed at the line, I tend to throw to the left WR more even though he's the second WR. Maybe subconsciously, I see the same thing that you're saying or it could just be that I'm more comfortable throwing to the left than the right in those situations. I don't know. Anyway, I'm gonna have to check on this. BTW - I don't think this is a game killer by any means.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3

Uh, I've had my CB push both to the outside AND inside and I get pressed to hell and back against the Steelers and it sounds like you're just complaining to complain so....

/thread
Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Banned

I challenge anyone to produce a video that shows a WR breaking away from man to man press coverage by making a move to his left. I suppose it could be different against zone press; I haven't tested this out yet.

Quote:
Uh, I've had my CB push both to the outside AND inside
If your receiver is lined up on the left side of the line, then he'll release to the inside. If he's lined up on the right side of the line, then he'll release to the outside.

Quote:
You must haven't played NCAA 10 too much. The CPU presses alot and is good at it too.
But not nearly as much as humans do. I know that when I play man defense, I almost always press. And if I remember correctly, the man to man press coverage plays out of the Dime formation only press the outside receivers. The Dime and Nickel back won't press their receiver unless you do a coverage adjustment, and I think the CPU only applies press through its play selection and not through coverage audibles.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFireXXI
Uh, I've had my CB push both to the outside AND inside and I get pressed to hell and back against the Steelers and it sounds like you're just complaining to complain so....

/thread
Yes..i agree..OP needs to clarify that this is not 100% of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Yes..i agree..OP needs to clarify that this is not 100% of the time.
If it's not 100%, then it's at least 99%. I went into practice mode and ran the same play over and over again: Shotgun Spread-Slants. It has 4 WRs all running slant routes. I ran it 20 times against Dime-Cover 2 man (Y+down to press). Each play, all 4 receivers broke away from the press coverage by making a move to their right. That's 80 out of a possible 80.

I did the same thing in NCAA 2009, and each time the receivers broke away to the inside whether they were on the right or left side of the line.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Rookie

wdctaylor's Arena

OVR: 3

I feel like, personally, that this has been going on for a long time. I always seem to throw more to my left than right since like Madden 07.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

This seems a little odd but, I will say this. Slants, crossing patterns, and post are still to easy to execute IMO. If the CB could actually play the inside and cut that off it would make it harder for a WR or TE to break to inside thus cutting off a slant etc...

I wish they would add this a coverage aud. They already have the option to have safties play in or outside, why not the DB's.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »