Home

Goal line cut scene decision

This is a discussion on Goal line cut scene decision within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Goal line cut scene decision

I'm basing my comments on the snow demo which seems to be a later build of the game, and the comments made by Steve Noah in an excellent article he released yesterday on a "beta" copy of the game he has.

"...there seems to be an issue replaying touchdowns in this build, as most get cut off as soon as the ball breaks the the goal line. I think it's annoying, but maybe it won't bother some of you. It doesn't happen all the time, but I'd say most of the time it does."

I agree with Steve, and this really annoys me. And it's because EA has decided again to take something away without asking us first in exchange for something else.

To be clear, this is only about the end zone cut scene which I think is directly related to the cutting off of the TD score replays as Steve mentions above. This is not about the cut scenes which show whether or not the player caught the ball in bounds or in the back or side of the end zone which I think are great.

If a played is challenged, (fumble, catch in or out of bounds) Madden 10 shows us all sorts of different angles of the play before the referee ultimately makes his decision. I'm sure everyone likes this. You can see in slow motion exactly whether or not the knee hit before the ball came out, or if the player got two feet in while still having possession. So why did they decide to give us something different for whether or not the ball crosses the goal line? Why did they decide to give us less?

When a field goal is kicked, and it's close, does the camera cut away to show a closeup of the referees trying to make up their minds whether or not it was good? NO! We see the ball go OVER the crossbar, or we see the ball actually hit the crossbar for ourselves. And if we miss it in real time, we can go into instant replay and see the bar hit the crossbar again.

Someone at EA has now decided that if the ball is close to crossing the goal line, that not only will they take away our ability to look at instant replay before the refs pop up in this ref confer cut scene, they have also decided to cut off the replay afterwards when they do allow us to see it, so that it stops before the player enters the end zone. So now every time we score a close TD we never get to see our players score on the replay? We never get to see for ourselves how close it was?

We now get no view at all of a close TD score either in real time or in replay, just so we can get these few seconds of seeing two officials face each other with only two possible cut scene outcomes, of either putting their hands over their heads or not. This is an improvement?

Can we at least have an option to turn this off and get back our full replays of close TD scores?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Goal line cut scene decision

I agree they go to the cut scenes about two seconds early.

Let us see the end of the play! ...then go to the refs chatting, but only if necessary.

I mind less with the tackling cut scenes because they're more like a new camera angle, and you still see how it finishes.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »