Home

What makes Pro Tack a technology?

This is a discussion on What makes Pro Tack a technology? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 21
What makes Pro Tack a technology?

Just as the title implies, what makes it a technology rather than say a mathematic formula? Saying that its a technology has me thinking that it was placed into the game after real life data acquisition.

Im just finding way to many unrealistic things happening with it, it seems to make the hit stick non-extant when used. No doubt its extremely powerful, maybe the most powerful feature ever in Madden. Im just wondering why EA is more concerned with labeling it a technology than explaining how they created it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: What makes Pro Tack a technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
Just as the title implies, what makes it a technology rather than say a mathematic formula? Saying that its a technology has me thinking that it was placed into the game after real life data acquisition.

Im just finding way to many unrealistic things happening with it, it seems to make the hit stick non-extant when used. No doubt its extremely powerful, maybe the most powerful feature ever in Madden. Im just wondering why EA is more concerned with labeling it a technology than explaining how they created it.
It means it's procedural as opposed to pre-recorded, canned animations. The exciting thing about it is different things can happen depending on who comes into the tackle, from which team, from which direction, with what momentum, and it animates the whole thing on the fly. Very different from the way madden typical works, which is triggering canned animation after canned animation to simulate behaviors. I hope a procedural approach slowly grows and replaces the other parts of the game, like catches, db/wr interaction, linemen interactions, etc.

I agree it's not perfect, but I think it's a step towards the right solution. As for why they gave it a fancy sounding name, blame their PR department. They don't need to explain how it works, other than from an end-user perspective. I'd be fascinated to see the innards, but they have no reason to show me.

As for calling it a technology... I don't care to look up the dictionary definition of technology, but... well, why would you care whether it meets the dictionary definition of a technology anyway? We know what it does, and I think it's a worthy addition.

Last edited by MattieShoes; 07-29-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:

You did a video showing exactly the problem with pro-tak. There is NO impact. You have a clean look at a big hit but instead the A.I. decides its better for your player to do a stupid headfirst roll. Pro Tak seems way too" bee's flying to a honeycomb" for me..
Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Pro

So far, just in a hand full of rushed games I have seen Pro Tacks power. It has the ability to render hit sticks powerless, time shift players all around the pile and yes even make people randomly leap.

I kid not, I exaggerate not.

Its the most powerful tool Madden has ever have. That said, it plays as if it has no checks and balances. My overall fear is that it will be exploited by hitting the pile at a certain angle. Learning that its not just a mathmatic formula rather a technology would go a long way to ensuring all gamers that wont happen.

We certainly have learned alot from the blogs this year. I just find it odd that EA claims to have created (even trademarked) a technology and we dont get any insight into it.

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 07-29-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
It means it's procedural as opposed to pre-recorded, canned animations. The exciting thing about it is different things can happen depending on who comes into the tackle, from which team, from which direction, with what momentum, and it animates the whole thing on the fly. Very different from the way madden typical works, which is triggering canned animation after canned animation to simulate behaviors. I hope a procedural approach slowly grows and replaces the other parts of the game, like catches, db/wr interaction, linemen interactions, etc.

I agree it's not perfect, but I think it's a step towards the right solution. As for why they gave it a fancy sounding name, blame their PR department. They don't need to explain how it works, other than from an end-user perspective. I'd be fascinated to see the innards, but they have no reason to show me.

As for calling it a technology... I don't care to look up the dictionary definition of technology, but... well, why would you care whether it meets the dictionary definition of a technology anyway? We know what it does, and I think it's a worthy addition.
Pro Tak does not create animation on the fly. That's Euphoria.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Pro

It cant handle animations on the fly. It has to time shift players to get them into position. Anybody know anything about this, or are we just gonna blindly buy an accept it?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
It cant handle animations on the fly. It has to time shift players to get them into position. Anybody know anything about this, or are we just gonna blindly buy an accept it?
No-one's forcing you to buy Madden. It does look better than the gang tackles in 09.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Rookie

JB0B0's Arena

OVR: 7

pro tack IS canned....euphoria is the technology that creates animations on the fly

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »