Home

Hitch Step: Is it just me, or is there no hitch step in Madden?

This is a discussion on Hitch Step: Is it just me, or is there no hitch step in Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Hitch Step: Is it just me, or is there no hitch step in Madden?

You can replicate that sort of already. Any quick pass on the game will use a 3 step drop and normal passes use a 5 step drop which usually are perfect timing to throw a quick slant, hitch, or screen for example. Just let the computer auto-drop the qb for you, and when he digs his foot in, step up, and he'll pop. You can step up and throw, you can pumpfake, or you can drop two more yards and reset. There used to be a little better movement with the vision cone, if you switched from reciever to reciever, the qb would square up in the recievers direction.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHAM
You can replicate that sort of already. Any quick pass on the game will use a 3 step drop and normal passes use a 5 step drop which usually are perfect timing to throw a quick slant, hitch, or screen for example. Just let the computer auto-drop the qb for you, and when he digs his foot in, step up, and he'll pop. You can step up and throw, you can pumpfake, or you can drop two more yards and reset. There used to be a little better movement with the vision cone, if you switched from reciever to reciever, the qb would square up in the recievers direction.
Your correct about the vision cone, but the default drop back does not snap to the reads and provide hitch steps, I would love to see hitch steps in

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansftw
This is generally for 5 or 7 step drops, and with the west coast offense you see it on the majority of these pass plays. It isn't just for upmh. In fact, in the WCO one major purpose of it is to already be in position to throw when you move to the next receiver (according to Walsh). That's why the hitches are timed with the receiver breaks.

I do want to mention again, just for clarity, that this isn't a WCO thing. Timing such as this is an important part of all passing systems, and those ideas are incorporated throughout the NFL.

I do like the idea in regards to Madden, and thanks for bringing it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophog
That's certainly another good idea, but would take a lot of work. In a real offense, your reads may change based on defensive alignment, pass protection called, option routes, tags, etcetera. Plays are built as segments in real life, on both sides of the ball, and in video game form they are distinct entities (which has, imo, always been a shortcoming.)

((You give examples of the west coast structure several times, so I am going to assume you know something of what I am talking about. The west coast offense is as much a common playcall structure as it is identifiable by its other components. ))

Reads are another extension of that. If I'm developing an offensive play, I have coaching points that may give different progressions for a variety of defenses I may see, based on what I would typically face. I could have how many varieties then, based on the same unique play.

With the way Madden does the playcalling structure, that's a lot of coding to be potentially done, given the myriad of variables.
According to several pass installations I have looked at for the WCO, the progression does not change all that much based on presnap reads. Several plays do, but most, like 384 Denver, Dragon, Drag slant, etc, do not.(At most the presnap progression usually only determines a side you pick- which you then stick to as the play progresses.) There are several reasons for this:

1) Most plays already have built-in hot routes.

2) Many route combinations are specifically designed to get the ball to one player. For example:

In this play, the X and Y receivers run routes specifically designed to clear and cause picks for the H receiver to slip in over the middle after a quick delay.

Here is the play in action (go to : 3:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ohe8-CeTdo

^^ 49ers vs Bills no punt game

Obviously the F receiver would be the dump off. In this play tho, sometimes the QB will just throw it deep to the z receiver based on a presnap read.

3) Most of the plays develop so quickly that reading an entire defense is not really practical.

RIP Steve. You will always be my Hero.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 8

I dont see how it could be in the game since when your passing your looking all over the screen, if u want hitch steps you might get lucky if Madden uses the 'Natal' tech in the future
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
Your correct about the vision cone, but the default drop back does not snap to the reads and provide hitch steps, I would love to see hitch steps in
I think its a good idea too.

What I was eluding to though was different strategies to help progression.

For example, Letting the qb do a 3 step auto drop will time a quick slant, if thats not open you can pumpfake once or drop back 2 more yards and the timing is in sync with the cut on a 10-12 yard dig route.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Ok, first off, not every drop has a hitch. 2nd, Madden does have a hitch, but if you take over the QBs movement, he essentially uses the footwork of a 3-step quick drop (3 short quick steps, no drive, crossover, or hitch... basically tiptoeing).

Everybody seems to think there are only 3 drops... there's actually 5 basic drops. 3 big, 3 quick, 5 big, 5 quick, and 7. Even beyond those there are adjustments for timing purposes... for example, you can see Montana use a multiple-hitch 7 step at times.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
Rookie

Great idea, but would see pointless to me without timing bases routes. They should implement them both together eh?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »