Home

Why is running the ball so hard?

This is a discussion on Why is running the ball so hard? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Why is running the ball so hard?

Forgive me,im new to madden. it seems like there is no method but only madness when attempting a run play. no one is blocking or creating any holes. in other games there is a sense of predictability, as in teamates are doing their job. what is the secret? im not holding turbo out of the gate, but am now trying that also to avoid the inevitable 1 yard loss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: Why is running the ball so hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee
Forgive me,im new to madden. it seems like there is no method but only madness when attempting a run play. no one is blocking or creating any holes. in other games there is a sense of predictability, as in teamates are doing their job. what is the secret? im not holding turbo out of the gate, but am now trying that also to avoid the inevitable 1 yard loss.
I've had ALOT Of success in running the rock bro... the holes are there, clear as day. Try adjusting the sliders in the demo..the demo has sliders but you should give it time..you say your new to madden, well that could be half of it...practice makes perfect
Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I had a tough time running when i first started playing the demo, but after a little while i did find some success. I press turbo when i hit the hole, not when i first get the ball. Only thing i could say is really concentrate on where you are running, watch the hole develop, and then hit turbo as you run through, and then try to make defenders miss.

Also set up outside runs with inside runs. I couldnt run outside at all until i tryed to actually set up the outside run by running inside a few times, and then springing the pitch or stretch play to surprise the defense.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

the wholes are there for most part all game you not going break a big one every play but u can get 3-5 yards a carry most the time i play on all madden

here some times if u do a counter to the left make sure u got ur oline block to the right this helps out alot cause on counter plays u want the oline block the way u not runing it trick them and u can get a good decent yards

and u should use the which way ur oline block on runs this helps me out but i dont use it that much anymore cause im getting good at running the ball which i can find the wholes without a help of the offensive line for the most part

for xbox 360 u push LT button to pick which way o line block and push right thumb sitck to up down left or right befor the snap u run but i use this mostly now just on counter plays

Last edited by EliteXJaseeXEmA; 07-30-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

to add to everyone else's suggestions, i like to use juke once i am hitting the holes. this helps avoid defenders or slip tackles. i played with the cards (not really a team known for rushing) on all madden and ran mostly running plays to get the hang of it. using this method, i rushed for like 23 carries for 115 yrds and a couple TDs. it seems to be very effective and also pretty realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

yea its especially hard to run in madden since theres no actual blocking logic, best way is if theres no hole to try and cut back or get to the outside. its hard to run up the middle since the lineman cant hold their blocks and defensive players are magnetic
Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mems1224
yea its especially hard to run in madden since theres no actual blocking logic, best way is if theres no hole to try and cut back or get to the outside. its hard to run up the middle since the lineman cant hold their blocks and defensive players are magnetic
Really? The holes in Madden 10 are probably the best I've seen in a football game myself. It's hard to get a great run game going IMO in 5 minute quarters, but I've seen the promise in that short amount of time. In my last few games with the Steelers, I've gotten just over 50 yards with Willie Parker on about 10 carries in each game.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Really? The holes in Madden 10 are probably the best I've seen in a football game myself. It's hard to get a great run game going IMO in 5 minute quarters, but I've seen the promise in that short amount of time. In my last few games with the Steelers, I've gotten just over 50 yards with Willie Parker on about 10 carries in each game.
thats a real good point too, 5 minutes isn't long enough to establish a running game. the one thing that just irks me about the blocking is that lineman still stand there and watch as a defensive guy walks by them sometimes. not as often but still annoying

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »