Home

Just some things I've been wondering about the great RBs

This is a discussion on Just some things I've been wondering about the great RBs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Just some things I've been wondering about the great RBs

By great RBs, I'm referring to Michael Turner and Adrian Peterson... some of their stats are just puzzling.

Starting with AP, since most of his stats are fine... but his carry rating... why oh why is it so low? So be it that he had the most fumbles... his fumbling average still isn't godawful. Not so bad as to deserve a 69. With the hit-stick happiness in Madden, that's a good guaranteed 2 fumbles per game more than likely (and thats probably underestimating)... over a season, one could expect AP to fumble what... almost 30 times? That's ridiculous... I'm wanting to see his carry rating at around 75.

Now the real issue is the stat differences in certain areas between Turner & Peterson...

1. How in the hell does EA figure that Peterson is as strong as Turner?

I can't recall ever seeing Turner's bench press maximum... but from watching them both play, weight, and height differences... Turner has AP beat. If somebody can find bench/squat/leg press stats, please post em up, cause I'm pretty damn certain Turner is stronger than AP. I'm not saying by leaps and bounds, but they're not any closer than within 3 or 4 points or so of each other...

I'm not sure what guys like Jackson or Jacobs are rated in the strength department, but neither of them should be higher than (or even as high as in Jackson's case) MT.

2. Michael Turner's agility is a mid-80, ap's is a mid 90...

Now I vaguely remember the short shuttle for both players, but yet again I'm pretty certain Turner pretty much raped AP in that department. AP did better in the 3 cone I recall... but I'm not certain how much either category weighs on agil/juke/spin (I'd imagine short shuttle would be agil/juke whereas 3 cone would potentially effect agil/spin if they at all matter). Now obviously with that being the case... either MTs agil, juke, or both should go up. But Madden isn't just about those kind of stats. I think a partial issue that makes it hard to say where to put MT's agility or juke/spin is the fact that he doesn't do it much...

In Madden it seems to translate in a manner that would say he doesn't do it because he can't or isn't good at it (which obviously given his fantastic short shuttle for a guy his size, he very much can), but he doesn't do it because he doesn't have to. Madden doesn't reflect such properly, at all. And given the fact that MT was given underrated strength equal to AP's, this is sticking another undeserved fork in MT. Essentially, Michael needs a 1 or 2 point boost to agility and juke...

3. And last but not least... Trucking & Stiff Arm.
Were not talking huge differences in either department... in fact its only one point for trucking, but the fact of the matter is that MT is the better (and stronger) trucker, period. You can go by physical strength, height, highlights, or play style, MT is the better trucker. AP can be left at 98 trucking if need be (although I'd swap MT & APs trucking personally... 98 for MT, 97 for AP), but if that's going to be the case MT's needs to be 99. Yet again this is another oddity that really just rattled me for some reason, dispite being so minute. Granted yes, AP is almost guaranteed to attempt to truck any and everyone, he usually only does so and gains enough forward momentum or to throw you off balance enough to then juke or spin and escape. MT trucks you to... knock you the **** over. Madden's version of trucking is just that... knocking you over.

As for the stiff arm... MT gets a 95 while AP gets a 98? What the hell? What the hell. No. NO. Go watch some highlights EA. I don't need to say anything to prove my point. This is the one area I say AP needs a drop... to around 96 or so. MT is the one who should have the 98 here. I don't know what the hell they watched to come up with this particular stat, but it's flat wrong.

For that matter part of determining a stiff arm rating should be the carry rating. AP has enough issues holding onto the ball without stiff arming and trying to hold it simultaneously.

They also have two different kinds of stiff arm, and the Madden variant favors MT's style. AP tends to stiff arm to prolong a run. MT tends to stiff arm to end you.

And on a side note, Michael & AP aren't that greatly different in speed... (91, 95). Michael should be at a good 92 or so... and thats minimum. That would just be saying hes a little faster than Frank Gore, when in actuality he's a good bit faster than Frank Gore. I'd peg him at 93, to be honest. And while I'm mentioning that, Clinton Portis needs a speed kick as well... I like Portis & Westbrook about even in speed...

------------------------------------

Feel free to delete this mods, I meant to just cut and paste it to the rating thread.

Last edited by Poetique; 08-03-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to post as a topic...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
Rookie

steelernation28's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Just some things I've been wondering about the great RBs

I doesn't really matter to me. I just accept EA version of the NFL. The ratings will always be open to interpretation, so why fret? Jack don't fret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lambert.jpg (45.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

if it's not any of these factors....then what separates Peterson from Turner as the NFL's best runningback [many ppl's opinion]....Unless you think they are extremely close? that's ok though. It's an opinion. I'm just asking what category the major difference needs to be in to consider AP as the league's premier runner, over Turner
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Peterson is faster and more agile.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Rookie

bo4345's Arena

OVR: 4

Adrian Peterson is rated higher for two reasons

1. Perception

2. Hype

Just like Tom Brady has 98 throw power when he is best known for his spot on precision passes and not arm strength, but because he is considered by many is the most elite QB in the NFL today he has that rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

The strength rating is just used to get the desired effect of shedded tackles. Ben Roethlisberger has 85 strength in the game... which would make him stronger than some of the linemen and only 2 points off of Silverback. But he has to have that strength to shed the sacks like he does in real life.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
MVP

Pacman83's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo4345
Adrian Peterson is rated higher for two reasons

1. Perception

2. Hype

Just like Tom Brady has 98 throw power when he is best known for his spot on precision passes and not arm strength, but because he is considered by many is the most elite QB in the NFL today he has that rating.
Umm....Hype? I think almost 2000 yds last year? 5 per carry? Only downfall is if you breathe too hard he fumbles. I doubt he overrated man.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Rookie

MVP23's Arena

OVR: 9

Adrian Peterson Deserves his 69 Carrying Rating. He had 9 Fumbles in 2008 and He had 4 in his rookie year. so i think 69 is just fine. I mean he still going to be unstoppable in this years madden if the running is done right.

Miami Heat

Miami Marlins

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »