Home

Why doesn't Madden create a direct download PC version?

This is a discussion on Why doesn't Madden create a direct download PC version? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Why doesn't Madden create a direct download PC version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Yeah, sure... that's it.

EA is going to not make a game because they're jealous of the mod community? Yeah....

EA is a money hungry corporate monster. If releasing a PC version of Madden would make a profit, they'd do it.
Think about it...

If EA releases a Madden game, and it can be completely modded, meaning rosters can be easily updates MID FRANCHISE, schedules can be modded to accurately reflect real life schedules, ratings can be edited mid franchise based on players performance in real life, draft classes can be edited, etc...why would a gamer NEED to keep buying the game every year? Sure, if they made drastic, worthwhile improvements every year, then people would probably keep buying the game. But seeing as how EA is known for not making those huge improvements year to year, a PC gamer could just say "Hey, I can make most of these changes on my own with the mod"

So, while it may have to do with fiscal reasons, the main reason behind that is because modding would almost give Madden something to contend with. Granted, it would be contending with itself, but if EA had another stretch run like 2005-2008 where it was basically just roster updates with some crappy new features, Id much rather just use a mod to update everything than shell out 60 bucks.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

The last PC version released was a Ps2 port.

They wouldn't be competing against the Modders with a PC version that was on par with the 360/PS3 game. Not this year. Who says they have to release a PC version every year anyway? If we assume that there IS a large enough PC market, one easily-modded game every 3 years would be a perfectly fine way of doing it instead of rushing a game out each year.

Being anti-mod to the point of not making a game because of it is incredibly stupid.

I stand by my original assumption that they don't think the PC has a large enough market.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

EA chooses to drop PCs from their campaign and 2k takes advantage. One example is nba 2k9 which seemed like an effortless mod (lack on online features) was only $20 and ea didnt release nba live 09. There goes EA pc market share for nba gamers.

i think 2ksports will surprise everyone and release an all-pro football 2k11 for pc.
it will be mod-friendly and will feature a 32 team franchise mode with 8 divisions and 2 conferences.

if this actually does happen, im sure the mod communities will completely redo the game, add nfl teams and uni's (nba 2k9 was fully moddable) and I honestly think a lot of madden players and espn 2k5/all-pro 2k8 lovers will quickly shift over to PC.
Only then will ea start to consider pc again...

Oh i can only dream...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2k2ndc
Because then the game would be pirated so much .. making a direct PC game is for when you think you can't make a real profit from a game anymore .. From my opinion
Steam says your opinion is wrong.

Sales for the PC version plummeted because EA was releasing the same game over and over again, pirating had little to do with it, although EA may say that's the issue, they have never released number supporting that claim (nor does anyone else for that matter).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »