Home

Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"?

This is a discussion on Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: ASfter reading through the main post, do you feel button mashing is realistic?
Yes 21 25.61%
No 26 31.71%
It is realistic in some cases 35 42.68%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"?

Is holding the Right Trigger creative?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Seriously I don't get why people say it is not sim. I love sim games and feel 2k8 did the best job to date so far. It had button mashing. Can someone please tell me why it is not sim at all?

I mean people complain about Fight for the Fumble because of the button mashing. I don't see what else EA could have done though. Button mashing is as violent as you can get with a controller and the fumble pile-ups are the most violent things in football and thats a fact. They kind of go hand in hand if you ask me.

Then people get angry and say its not "sim" when people want the option to button tap for sprint. If you ask me smashing A to sprint is a lot more realistic than holding a button. By holding the button your player will always go the same speed. By button smashing you can control your speed from a steady jog to a faster jog that allows you to cut, or you can go out and tap it fast and sprint. You basically control the ball carriers feet. The faster you tap, the faster he starts to move his legs.

I also notice people don't truly understand the concept behind button sprinting. They seem to think that it allows you to go past your max speed when in reality thats not true at all. Once you hit the "sprint" stage your runner runs to his 93 speed or whatever his rating may be. It doesn't allow Haynesworth to outrun McNabb for a pick 6 because I have a faster thumb.

The last thing I want to talk about is breaking or branching out of tackles with button mashing. People also seem to think this is fake or unsim. When you have to think about it though. Its not going to allow you to break out of someone who has a high 95 tackle rating. It gives you a fighting chance and allows you to pick up those extra yards. I also look at this as if you are controlling the runners feet once again. The faster you tap the button the faster and harder he keeps his feet moving so he can escape the tackle or at least gain those few yards needed for the first down.

Button mashing may seem like a bad idea or a gimmicky one too, but if you look at it, it really is a lot more realistic than you think.

Thoughts?

Canes, what you are really asking people here is..

"Why is it that developers can't please everybody"?

Dude I agree this is a viable way to recreate a fumble recovery with a controller.

But keep in mind when you post, that if people can complain .... THEY WILL!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 12

I guess if properly implemented button mashing is alright in certain circumstances. I'm not a fan of it. I feel that in most instances the things you button mash are actually things that are instinctively done.

When 2k used button mashing for it's jump balls in basketball I thought that was really stupid. In their football games, I felt like I was running around with a can of spinach, Popeye style ready to power up to truck someone. I thought that was the dumbest thing ever. A lot of people really liked it though. To each his own.

I think where the "sim" part comes in to play is that "sim guys" would prefer to beat the computer or human opponent by out smarting them by using superior strategy and play calling. Most of the guys that are great button mashers are also great "rocket catchers" and superior glitch finders.

It's like with boxing games when you're playing defense, looking for openings, counter punching, and fighting a strategic fight and your 9 year old nephew randomly mashes buttons and beats you, ha ha. Not sim.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 55

I love the tapping. It makes things more challenging and involving.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I really don't see how button mashing = RC'er. When 2k5 came out I had a record of 30 -0, or around there. I could tap faster than anyone and if I broke into open field with Clinton Portis, I never lost. Just because I tapped extremely fast didn't mean I was using money plays in that game. In fact, I usually just ran the ball 40 times a game because I just love running the ball.

I still have the same finger speed because my guns always get locked in Call of Duty because I shoot over the fire limit, but when I play Madden I still pound the ball at least 30 times a game. Heck, I didn't even know how to RC until I came to OS.

― Plato
Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
I guess if properly implemented button mashing is alright in certain circumstances. I'm not a fan of it. I feel that in most instances the things you button mash are actually things that are instinctively done.

When 2k used button mashing for it's jump balls in basketball I thought that was really stupid. In their football games, I felt like I was running around with a can of spinach, Popeye style ready to power up to truck someone. I thought that was the dumbest thing ever. A lot of people really liked it though. To each his own.

I think where the "sim" part comes in to play is that "sim guys" would prefer to beat the computer or human opponent by out smarting them by using superior strategy and play calling. Most of the guys that are great button mashers are also great "rocket catchers" and superior glitch finders.

It's like with boxing games when you're playing defense, looking for openings, counter punching, and fighting a strategic fight and your 9 year old nephew randomly mashes buttons and beats you, ha ha. Not sim.
Bingo!!!!

That's what I want in a sim game. Not only that but I want to execute the play where there isn't any discrepancies involved or unrealisti occurences (like TEs running faster than a secondary, passes being thrown across the field while a QB is running the other way, etc). And the plays don't have to be successful. I can live with failing to exectute plays if my opponent is able to stop me on offense or he calls a great play to counter mine on defense.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

I personally am not a fan of it at all. I'll admit that I'm not good at it either. The reason I don't like it is because it gives the advantage to the person who has the quickest fingers. I was never the person with the fastest fingers, and think that there has to be someway to emulate the fight for the fumble without making me have to jump up and go ape-**** on my controller. The animation is pretty cool...i hope that guy doesnt fly over the pile every time...take the stick skill out of it, and make it more of a strategic mini-game. I don't know what, but there has to be a better way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
It's not about pressing it very very fast, players have a top speed and they still can't get above it no matter how fast the buttons are pressed. Sure the players with the more nimble fingers will be able to get their guys to top speed more, but those guys are also able to do more complicated moves with the players they are controlling anyway. You might as well say that everyone should just play coach mode because someones physical skills shouldn't effect the players on the field. This is one area where Money Games and I can agree on user skills.
lol,

we finally agree on something, lol

we have opposing opinions but i really think you and I agree on more than we think

im all for a more sim game

i just dont want to feel like CPU is playing the game for me

may main concern is that i dont think it would be that hard for EA to make that type of game, but they havent

sim game + total control = happy MoneyGames

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »