Home

Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"?

This is a discussion on Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: ASfter reading through the main post, do you feel button mashing is realistic?
Yes 21 25.61%
No 26 31.71%
It is realistic in some cases 35 42.68%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"?

Seriously I don't get why people say it is not sim. I love sim games and feel 2k8 did the best job to date so far. It had button mashing. Can someone please tell me why it is not sim at all?

I mean people complain about Fight for the Fumble because of the button mashing. I don't see what else EA could have done though. Button mashing is as violent as you can get with a controller and the fumble pile-ups are the most violent things in football and thats a fact. They kind of go hand in hand if you ask me.

Then people get angry and say its not "sim" when people want the option to button tap for sprint. If you ask me smashing A to sprint is a lot more realistic than holding a button. By holding the button your player will always go the same speed. By button smashing you can control your speed from a steady jog to a faster jog that allows you to cut, or you can go out and tap it fast and sprint. You basically control the ball carriers feet. The faster you tap, the faster he starts to move his legs.

I also notice people don't truly understand the concept behind button sprinting. They seem to think that it allows you to go past your max speed when in reality thats not true at all. Once you hit the "sprint" stage your runner runs to his 93 speed or whatever his rating may be. It doesn't allow Haynesworth to outrun McNabb for a pick 6 because I have a faster thumb.

The last thing I want to talk about is breaking or branching out of tackles with button mashing. People also seem to think this is fake or unsim. When you have to think about it though. Its not going to allow you to break out of someone who has a high 95 tackle rating. It gives you a fighting chance and allows you to pick up those extra yards. I also look at this as if you are controlling the runners feet once again. The faster you tap the button the faster and harder he keeps his feet moving so he can escape the tackle or at least gain those few yards needed for the first down.

Button mashing may seem like a bad idea or a gimmicky one too, but if you look at it, it really is a lot more realistic than you think.

Thoughts?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Why is button mashing considered to be not "sim"?

After posting plenty of threads and other posts here at OS Ive come to the concrete conclusion that in some, i said some, which is really most, sim players, really dont want to "play" madden. they actually want to just hike the ball and let the CPU do the rest, i think NFL head coach would fit that crowd perfectly.

The other thing is that the F4F feature really scares most sim players. to begin with theyre bums w very narrow minds and to exclamate that more, they have slllloooooowwwww haaaanndsss, therefore a F4F mini game is something they know they'll lose 8-10 times and would much rather see it out the game.

just my 2 cents, i know kehlis and mmorg are going to rave about this one. "its not sim" "its not realistic" "it doesnt happen on sundays"

But this a video game, this is one of the only features that I feel EA has given the user some control over. everything else is up to the CPU AI

GET YOUR THUMB GAME READY

Last edited by MoneyGames; 08-06-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

this is one of those things people will never agree on because the arguments for it and against it are completely valid. on the one hand, how else would you implement "fighting" for the fumble, but on the other, if you want it to be a "pure" sim experience, the skills and ratings of the players should be the deciding factor. i for one, like the idea, however, against the computer i'm not a fan of the button mashing. i can see it being a blast against another person though, so i'm glad it's there, and i'm glad they've given us the ability to disable the button mashing.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 22

I dont got a problem with having to press button's repeatedly but only when done right. Example of a PERFECT button pressing scheme is NFL2k5 by pressing the button rapidly for acceleration and speed..to me, THIS IS PERFECT for running in football videogames..hopefully Ian and company will consider putting this in M11 as an "option".

Now on a good example of where it just dont feel right is in the fumble pile ups..having to jump to all 4 buttons is way too tedious...it would of been better to keep the button pressing to just one button the entire time..i could deal with that but switching buttons quicky is too "dance dance revolution-ish" if you know what i mean.

Moe
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 49

I think if EA continues to give us options, such as a controller setting that allows us the tapping running of 2k5, it will result in a much happier group of buyers. If they give us all the features of 2k5, then both madden users and 2k users can be happy with the controls they like in the same game and customize it as they wish. This would go along way with "next generation gaming".

I for one liked the tapping button for running faster for several reasons. First, I find holding down a button boring. Second, I find tapping the button is one more thing to string along or remember, which adds one step more of skill. Third, It also makes you slow down a bit to pull off most combo moves, since you will move your thumb for another move button, which is realistic. My main grip with Madden is everything just feels like it runs at a constant speed. We need some variety. Its almost like it runs on a track, which for me gets stale.

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't understand the sim argument either. Is pressing "Y" to catch the ball "sim"? Is moving the right stick to juke "SIM"? I don't see how a temporary period of button mashing intended to simulate a struggle for the ball is any less "sim" than anything else we do during a game of Madden.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
I dont got a problem with having to press button's repeatedly but only when done right. Example of a PERFECT button pressing scheme is NFL2k5 by pressing the button rapidly for acceleration and speed..to me, THIS IS PERFECT for running in football videogames..hopefully Ian and company will consider putting this in M11 as an "option".

Now on a good example of where it just dont feel right is in the fumble pile ups..having to jump to all 4 buttons is way too tedious...it would of been better to keep the button pressing to just one button the entire time..i could deal with that but switching buttons quicky is too "dance dance revolution-ish" if you know what i mean.

Moe
Co-sign. I think Madden would benefit from the button mashing running because imo that's the best way I've seen to break a tackle. Actually feels like you're fighting to get free. The way it is now is ok, but it can have way too many unrealistic results because the window is too wide for you to alter the outcome of the situation.

Prime example is when Apex was complaining about 1 of the trailers where the defender had the ball carrier almost down and he rose up to break the tackle. The system could work, but the window is too wide for you to effect the outcome of the tackle animation.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I don't view button mashing as not being "sim."

I just don't personally like how it is implemented in Fight for the Fumble. I think it's great they included an option to appease everyone.

But again, I don't view as not being sim, I guess to me it depends on how it is used.

I didn't play 2k5 but I don't think I would have had a problem with the sprinting being a tap x kind of thing.

Heck, I still rapidly tap it when playing the show out of habit from baseball games way back when.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »