Home

IGN Madden 10 review

This is a discussion on IGN Madden 10 review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #73
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: IGN Madden 10 review

Umm... what the heck are they talking about.

Madden 06: 360 - 8.0
Madden 07: 360 - 8.5
PS3 - 8.3
Madden 08: 360 - 8.7
PS3 - 7.7
Madden 09: 360 - 8.8
PS3 - 8.8
20th AE 09: Both - 9.1
Madden 10: 360 - 8.9
PS3 - 8.9

Here's my question for everyone. How can a game that was considered so bad last year only be a .10 of a point lower than a game that is best so far?

WOW!

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
Finally a decent review by IGN. I'm still surprised they overlooked the sheer wonkiness of some of the animations, though.

8.9 means it's a good game, but still not up to par with NFL 2k5 or Madden NFL 05 for that matter.

It's time for a great change of gameplay. IGN even stated that the game didn't feel too different from Madden NFL 09, which had pretty average gameplay.

EA, it's time to make animations 100% fluid and natural looking for Madden NFL 11 as well as to get a grounded gameplay system working.

Too many times we have huge gameplay jumps from one year to the next. It's time to get a working system to build upon (that doesn't consist of inconsistent and odd looking animations).

2K did it, and so can you, just don't neglect people's pleas and try to "Maddenize" everything. Maddenizing got you an 8.9, which is great, but not what you probably expected. It's what you'll have to do to reach the 9.5 category.

Good luck with Madden NFL 11.
2k suxxx there graphics suck nothings authentic in that game but the tackling. how can u compare the games now madden 10 has surpassed 2k accept it and move on with ur life lol
Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #75
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Umm... what the heck are they talking about.

Madden 06: 360 - 8.0
Madden 07: 360 - 8.5
PS3 - 8.3
Madden 08: 360 - 8.7
PS3 - 7.7
Madden 09: 360 - 8.8
PS3 - 8.8
20th AE 09: Both - 9.1
Madden 10: 360 - 8.9
PS3 - 8.9

Here's my question for everyone. How can a game that was considered so bad last year only be a .10 of a point lower than a game that is best so far?

WOW!
Ex-frickin'-actly
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #76
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

And this folks is the reason why I think video game sites shouldn't have number grades. Too many people put too much importance on the numbers and not what is being said in the reviews themselves.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #77
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
From what I've played in the Madden NFL 10 demo, I'd say that Madden NFL 09 (PS2) has better gameplay, commentary, and animations. From what I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong, Madden NFL 09 isn't too different from Madden NFL 05 in terms of gameplay.

As I said in another topic, Madden (next-gen) is merely getting rated high on reputation, but it appears that IGN reviewed Madden NFL 10 for what it is;

A step in the right direction. However, a step a year can't satisfy the leaps in expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
So you some how missed last gen? Because last gen, both 2k AND Madden were bringing the wood. Just take a look at the reviews for 2k5 and Madden 05. Last gen set the bar. This gen has been nothing but crap in comparison and that includes this year. Yes, Madden 10 is the best of the current gen titles (06/07/08/09) but it's got nothing on Madden 05 or 2k5. I wont be satisfied until that happens.

So let me get this straight. You like a "league" more then you like the sport in which the "league" plays?

I'm a fan of football..not leagues. The NFL just happens to be the best league on earth, with the best players. But in video games, you're in your own reality. The players on the field are as good as you want them to be. So the "NFL" doesn't even matter. What matters most in a video game is the...wait for it...gameplay.

APF's engine still pawns current gen Madden's engine. The animations and physics do too. So to me, that game>this game. If the NFL license is going to be slapped onto an inferior product, then I'll pass and play the better..."football" game.
This is coming from a person who still plays last-gen Maddens. Madden 2005 was my all time favorite Madden game, but it is nearly 5 years old. I still continue to play it, but we still have to move on, and there is no denying that Madden NFL 10 is bringing back a lot of fans who played last-gen Maddens. When you have solid game play, and solid presentation, you have a great game and that is what Madden NFL 10 has. It is nothing over the top, but it is pretty solid without people nitpicking every tiny thing. Also, APF 2k8's so called "engine" seems like it was almost the same as it was in 2k5, but with a little tuning. Madden started from scratch during the next-gen Madden transition which caused a lot of problems.

Also, if anyone wants to nitpick Madden 10's "terrible problems", fire up Madden 06-09 or whatever on last-gen Maddens and go into replay mode. You will find that sometimes the players' faces turn into a wood-like texture as well as their hands at a certain angle and if you have one of the Maddens that had the tattoos, sometimes they would disappear during replay mode. If you take a close up look at a few pass plays, you might find the ball morphing through a defender's hand only to fall into a receiver's hand, which was one of Apex's Madden 10 demo criticisms. Last-gen Maddens had many problems, but I still loved them and enjoyed them, but lets be fair when talking about Madden 10's game play issues on the Xbox 360, but somehow defending its predecessor on last-gen consoles.

Last edited by MattIntellect; 08-08-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #78
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crob8822
I can tell you this, Having first started with tudor games electric football and spending hours setting them plastic men with the nfl painted uniforms up after every play.
Madden 10, Looks like a good game, I will buy it and hopefully play it a little while.
IMO, Ea is heading in the right direction, and the fact that the developers are reading the comments on OS sports means that they are interested in putting out a good game.
So lets see friday when we have spent a couple of hours playing this game.
because it does beat setting up those plastic football players and watching them run in circles.
Remember there was no passing game, you have to stop the electicity, place the foam ball into the quarterback are and throw it in the direction that the player you wanted to receive and if it touch his base it is considered a catch.
There was no stadiums, but a cardboard cutout of a grandstand (bush stadium) with a manuel scoreboard.
I guess what I am saying, I enjoyed playing that game because it was all that we had and knew about.
Madden is so far ahead of what I started with, it is not perfect but is has good points.
2k was a great competitor, but now they are gone. 2k8 all pro has good and bad issues. I brought a copy and played it, I would buy it if they had NFL Licences, but they do not. So madden is King but then there is no contest if there is no opponent.

I like madden, and hope they will continue to improve.
What? What do you know about that electric football, lol? We might have to start a new thread about this one.

Yea, but I'm with you. As I stated before, I thought I was a true sim head until I wandered across this site, lol. I think I'm just casual sim, because the issues that folks complain about here just dont bother me none.

True, things have evolved, from electric football, to T.V sports football, 4th and inches on the commodore 64, 10 yard fight, tecmo, playing RB in highschool, etc, etc. I think if folks went back that far in football video game history, there would be absolutely no way they would complain about a glitch or two in 2k or Madden.

I cant wait for the release. Good times coming soon.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 23

They should've just gave it a 9.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 7

how come when people defend madden, they never mention football. its all about the video game aspect instead of the football aspect. "OH well all games morphs and glitches" "there are glitches in 2k too" "ill show you a 2k glitch on youtube".

in honestly the matrix have no original material and cant accurately defend madden and the only you can is to acknowledge the most general statement. all im saying can i once hear some NFL related football coming out the text of madden supporters

start being honest to yourself. its madden football your playing every year not the NFL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »