Home

IGN Madden 10 review

This is a discussion on IGN Madden 10 review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: IGN Madden 10 review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furq
Note that I'm probably a harsher scorer than most, to me a 9 means it's something really groundbreaking and brings something new to the genre. I haven't played the full version, but I expect Madden is a definite improvement but it isn't everything it could be yet.
I agree dude. My argument is that it's at least .2 better than last years game and I don't think last years game deserved an 8.8 AT ALL!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #58
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
Finally a decent review by IGN. I'm still surprised they overlooked the sheer wonkiness of some of the animations, though.

8.9 means it's a good game, but still not up to par with NFL 2k5 or Madden NFL 05 for that matter.

It's time for a great change of gameplay. IGN even stated that the game didn't feel too different from Madden NFL 09, which had pretty average gameplay.

EA, it's time to make animations 100% fluid and natural looking for Madden NFL 11 as well as to get a grounded gameplay system working.

Too many times we have huge gameplay jumps from one year to the next. It's time to get a working system to build upon (that doesn't consist of inconsistent and odd looking animations).

2K did it, and so can you, just don't neglect people's pleas and try to "Maddenize" everything. Maddenizing got you an 8.9, which is great, but not what you probably expected. It's what you'll have to do to reach the 9.5 category.

Good luck with Madden NFL 11.
Interesting, I guess you overlooked the 1st paragraph where he states it's the best pure football experience in video game history.

I don't read much into IGN's review.

Bill Abner and Steve are best in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Interesting, I guess you overlooked the 1st paragraph where he states it's the best pure football experience in video game history.

I don't read much into IGN's review.

Bill Abner and Steve are best in my opinion.
An 8.9 means the game is the best football game in existence?

Go throw a fade route and watch how the receiver looks catching the ball. Throw it on the flat to the tight end and watch him do a Bambi-like leap in the air for no good reason. Watch the CPU AI run out of bounds for no reason. Try throwing it to a receiver near the sideline and tell me how that works for you.

Off the field, you may be right. It has the best AI logic OFF THE FIELD in football gaming history, and that is fantastic. In fact, that's quite an achievement. ESPN NFL 2K5 had many problems, such as QBs throwing for 40+ TDs on a consistent basis, running backs breaking 2,000 yards like it was child's play, and other problems.

But let's be realistic here. This is 2009, not 2004. It's not even fair in "that other game"'s favor, given Madden has had five years to out-do what it has done ON THE FIELD, but Madden still isn't there. Not yet.

Last edited by Echopax; 08-07-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #60
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
An 8.9 means the game is the best football game in existence?

Go throw a fade route and watch how the receiver looks catching the ball. Throw it on the flat to the tight end and watch him do a Bambi-like leap in the air for no good reason. Watch the CPU AI run out of bounds for no reason. Try throwing it to a receiver near the sideline and tell me how that works for you.

Off the field, you may be right. It has the best AI logic OFF THE FIELD in football gaming history, and that is fantastic. In fact, that's quite an achievement. ESPN NFL 2K5 had many problems, such as QBs throwing for 40+ TDs on a consistent basis, running backs breaking 2,000 yards like it was child's play, and other problems.

But let's be realistic here. This is 2010, not 2005. It's not even fair in "that other game"'s favor, given Madden has had five years to out-do what it has done ON THE FIELD, but Madden still isn't there. Not yet.
If people hang on or cling onto IGN's rating, why wouldn't the believe what they read.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 4

Get ready to get ready for patches..

Dumb AI. Like really how hard is it to fix the CPU from throwing passes to a receiver standing out of bounce?

Really, I love Madden and I will have my copy tomorrow but things like "pro-tak" should have been added a long time ago. Fight for the fumble = Gimmick, covered up by saying "You see it on Sundays".

The lack of improvement to the offline Franchise almost kills it for me. I don't see how I will make it past 3 seasons of the same ol same ol.

By all means I appreciate EA Sports for everything they do, I'm glad I have this video game to play but Microsoft/EA but we're basically paying 60 bucks for roster updates over and over!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #62
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa07jones

Dumb AI. Like really how hard is it to fix the CPU from throwing passes to a receiver standing out of bounce?

Really, I love Madden and I will have my copy tomorrow but things like "pro-tak" should have been added a long time ago. Fight for the fumble = Gimmick, covered up by saying "You see it on Sundays".

The lack of improvement to the offline Franchise almost kills it for me. I don't see how I will make it past 3 seasons of the same ol same ol.

By all means I appreciate EA Sports for everything they do, I'm glad I have this video game to play but Microsoft/EA but we're basically paying 60 bucks for roster updates over and over!
Someone hasn't been reading Bill Abner's blog...

There has been a lot of improvements to franchise mode.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #63
Rookie

steelernation28's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa07jones

Patches? I'm not online as are a lot of madden players.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 15

I think 8.9 is good score for 2010, last years game should have been rated much lower. I find it interesting that the commentary might end up bringing down the overall review scores more than anything. Hopefully it will lead to some pressure to get some halfway decent commentary for next year.

Honestly I pretty much hated 2009. I bought the game and could not even make it through half of ONE season. Hell, a lot of times I'd turn it on and not even be able to make it through one freaking game without shutting off the 360 due to boredom. I probably turned off the console more times than I actually finished a game. I ended up borrowing it to a buddy in exchange for fight night 3 just so I could get some easy achievement points. I still havent traded back with my friend and that was months and months ago, I haven't thought twice about playing it again.

Last night I played the 2010 pre order demo for at least 3 or 4 hours straight and had a blast (ive had the demo since right after it came out too, I didnt just play it for the first time yesterday). If I had to make a choice between buying the 2010 demo or the madden 2009 full game for $60, I'd take the demo and never look back. I think 2010 is a huge improvement in fun and realism and can't wait to pick it up next Friday.

I wonder if part of the reason I like the demo so much more is because the commentary is turned off, seriously.

Last edited by Bears_16_and_0; 08-07-2009 at 11:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »