Home

If You See it on Sundays, You Will See it in Madden 10 (my review)

This is a discussion on If You See it on Sundays, You Will See it in Madden 10 (my review) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
If You See it on Sundays, You Will See it in Madden 10 (my review)

(You may go to my arena blog to view it or I will also post it in impressions thread. Before this one gets closed)

After months upon months on end Madden 10 has finally arrived. For the last 5 years gamers have suffered through a sub-par NFL game that has been pretty much untouched year after year. With a new Lead Game Designer, Ian Cummings, and his crew leading the way would things be different this time around?

Lets jump right in:

PRESENTATION

Presentation had been a sore spot for Maddenites for the entire next gen...up until now. Madden 10 is not only the closest that the series has ever been to replicating an actual NFL Broadcast, but it is the most immersing NFL experience available for Next-Gen. Seeing players warm-up before games and fans filing into stadiums and purchasing team parafanelia is a sight to behold! The shots of the sidelines where players are warming up on bikes and kickers are practicing for a potential game winning kick is what the NFL is all about! The Coaches chewing out players (or praising them) for making a bone-headed throw or missing a block is definitely what the series needed in order for it to feel fresh!

The instant replays, although not as many as one would like, are fantastic! Especially when Chris Collinsworth adds his personal insight to why a play did or did not work. Excellent work there EA. There is also the Extra Point Halftime show which would feel alot more complete if there was analysis of the big plays at the Half. Instead we are treated to highlights without any type of commentary which kind of disappoints (Anybody seen Chris Berman lately?) If EA wants to perfect their presentation, they should fully incorporate the ESPN (since their game is "powered by ESPN) or NFL Network into their presentations as one NFL game in the past had used ESPN. Otherwise from Preseason to the Superbowl, EA offers a superb presentation.

GAMEPLAY

They have gone to great lengths to add Chain Gangs and Refs on the field all while not abandoning its signature gameplay. One of the newest additions to Madden 10 is the Fight For the Fumble feature. While a great addition, EA gives you the choice to turn off the button mashing mini-game if you would like. However, it adds a much needed element of realism to the NFL franchise.

When playing on the Defensive line, you now can simply use the right analog stick to work your way to the QB with swim moves and bull rushes. It is much more simple and alot more fun in my opinion to do so. When under pressure as a QB your controller will rumble and you may also use the right analog stick to evade the pressure of an oncoming sack or step up ito the pocket for a downfield pass. This is something that was missing from Madden for years.

The real star addition to this years Madden however is Pro-Tak. It is a new system of tackling that allows for up to 9 man gang-tackles and also gives you the abilty to fight for every yard manually and break out of tackles for a huge play or score! Players will feel the realism with Pro-Tak. For instance the referees may blow a play dead when forward progress has stopped, which is a major first in any NFL videogame ever! Also QB's who attempt to throw when being hit face the possiblity of the ball flying wildly up into the air for a possible pick! Again, something else that you see on Sunday that is a wonderful and much needed addition. Refs also will occasionally blow calls and it is up to you to throw the challenge flag! The ability to decide whether or not you want to risk playing an injured player is also a welcome addition. Franchise/Superstar Mode have seen a few changes such as the new News Hub in Franchise mode.

As great as the gameplay is, there are some quirks, like players inexplicably running out of bounds, balls sometimes go through players hands (literally) and on the All-Madden Level, DB's sometimes know the routes better than the WR's...things that can be fixed (like most other bugs as I am sure there are plenty that will be discovered)

Sound/Graphics

The sound from the crowd and on the field banter is nothing short of spectacular.

The Commentary is a mixed bag however. Tom Hammond needs to be replaced simple and plain. He and Chris Collinsworth sound like they are disjointed from the game and they do not even sound like they are a Commentary Crew. While Chris Collinsworth has great quips about the game and insight to the various aspects of the plays you have called, Tom Hammond is not even close to being smooth. They either need to record commentary together, or two new Commentators should be added with Collingsworth to give the commentary a fresher appeal. Right now, most will probably turn it off.

The Graphics are the best any game has ever seen. Hands down. Everything from the helmets to animations, they are done very very well. The stadiums are also beautifully rendered.

Overall
From the great new additions like Online Franchise/Co-Op, to Pro-Tak and Presentation, if you see it on Sunday, chances are you will see it in Madden 10. One can only Imagine What Madden 11' will be like. Congratulations EA, (Ian, Phil, and Co.) on making a Great Game. (And yes, presentation withstanding, Madden 10 is better than NFL 2K5. Finally.)

Positives
*Pro-Tak, Pro-Tak, Pro-Tak: You have to experience it to appreciate it.
*Super Presentation!!!
*Teams play to their strengths/weaknesses and it can be a real chess match!!!
*Online Franchise/Co-Op

Negatives
*Commentary is painful and Extra Point Commentary needs work
*Need more "Defined" Presentation...Is it more about EA SPORTS or the NFL? EA must decide in its presentational approach.
*Still lots of slowdown and clipping
Edit Entry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: If You See it on Sundays, You Will See it in Madden 10 (my review)

Good quick review. From everything i have seen. read, heard and touched on by myself...I can say madden 10 is a MUST HAVE for me. Shortcomings aside, it is finally the sim we have wanted. Hope that holds true through SEVERAL games.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Good quick review. From everything i have seen. read, heard and touched on by myself...I can say madden 10 is a MUST HAVE for me. Shortcomings aside, it is finally the sim we have wanted. Hope that holds true through SEVERAL games.
Correction: Madden 10 will OWN you. Get ready to explain to the girlfriend/friends/job why your social life is going to take a hit lol! Great, Great Game. (and I have been a 2K5 player for 5years now.) Its all Madden 10.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14
Icon14 Re: If You See it on Sundays, You Will See it in Madden 10 (my review)

I thought you did a great job until I got to this part. "presentation withstanding, madden 10 is better than NFL 2K5. Finally." I hate to burst your bubble, NFL2K still is and will be the best sports game when it comes to presentation. The fact they used ESPN to present the game was one of the most amazing things we've seen in sports game history. Why didn't Madden use ESPN or NFLNetwork to present the game?

You contradict yourself when you say "Need more "defined" presentation." I thought you said M10 was better then 2k in presentation? Now you go back on your word and say they need more? NFL2K nailed it on presentation and adding more would be an added bonus.

Overall very good well thought out review. I agree with you, the game is good but not what we all expected. M11 will probably be the best football game to date.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

Patch:

I know there were a few more negatives with the presentation, but I was trying to avoid comparisons with 2K5 by not saying how much better ESPN 2K5's presentation is.

EA needs to patch in much more replays as well as stat overlays for the actual game being played. It would be nice to see some end of quarter highlights ala NBA 2K9 being shown as well!

However, you must give credit when credit is due! Madden 10 is OFFICIAL in my book.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Patch:

I know there were a few more negatives with the presentation, but I was trying to avoid comparisons with 2K5 by not saying how much better ESPN 2K5's presentation is.

EA needs to patch in much more replays as well as stat overlays for the actual game being played. It would be nice to see some end of quarter highlights ala NBA 2K9 being shown as well!

However, you must give credit when credit is due! Madden 10 is OFFICIAL in my book.
I agree, we can finally play a Madden game. I would love to see quarter highlights.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
I thought you did a great job until I got to this part. "presentation withstanding, madden 10 is better than NFL 2K5. Finally." I hate to burst your bubble, NFL2K still is and will be the best sports game when it comes to presentation. The fact they used ESPN to present the game was one of the most amazing things we've seen in sports game history. Why didn't Madden use ESPN or NFLNetwork to present the game?

You contradict yourself when you say "Need more "defined" presentation." I thought you said M10 was better then 2k in presentation? Now you go back on your word and say they need more? NFL2K nailed it on presentation and adding more would be an added bonus.

Overall very good well thought out review. I agree with you, the game is good but not what we all expected. M11 will probably be the best football game to date.
I think he's saying Madden 10 is better than NFL 2K5 EXCEPT for presentation, where 2k5 is still better.
Fantasy football fans... Dominate your Draft with the #1 selling fantasy football app, Fantasy Football Cheat Sheet 2017 for iOS & Android.

Get it for iPhone / iPad!

Get it for Android!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Strategy

OVR: 36

This is a great review. Thanks. It's very appreciated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »