Home

Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!!

This is a discussion on Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Question Re: Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Agreed.

I think it's going to be really interesting to see what kind've sales numbers these reviews bring this year. I saw this blurb in a story over at USA Today this morning and it has me wondering whether we could be nearing the end of exclusivity, due to the declining sales trend:

"Even longtime hits are taking their lumps. EA Sports' NCAA Football 10 is selling slower than expected, and Madden NFL 10, out Friday, could get sacked.

Each of the past three years, Madden has sold fewer copies than the previous iteration, according to market tracking firm NPD Group. Consumers bought 7.6 million copies in 2007 and 5.8 million last year."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-economy_N.htm
This information makes me wonder if the improvement are too little too late. Lower sales, bad economy, expensive new technology (assuming Pro Tak took a toll on the R&D budget), NFL licensing costs and constantly-in-your-face (ie expensive) marketing really makes me wonder if Madden is even profitable.

I am glad it's getting better and I hope that they continue to have faith in Ian, but if the numbers say to scale back, then I fear for the improvement of future Maddens.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

ubernoob's Arena

Re: Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Funny, since the game isn't even out yet.
Funny, because I know I bought it last night (thanks for the help gentlemen ) and plenty on here have it.

This year's Madden is an excellent step in the right direction. Far from perfect, but great game.

My roommate (total 'cheeser') and I played a game. He went on Rookie with the Patriots, I was All-Madden with the Packers... Last year there were certain things that were tougher to stop (QB Rollouts, if you take control of the LB you normally leave the TE open on this play or the QB has an easy 8-15 yard run). This year, with the new throwing animations and everything else the game was a lopsided victory for me. I am very very impressed with the way this game turned out.

Good job, EA. Now to get my Franchise started.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

If Pro-Tak is considered expensive technology, then Madden is doomed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
Metacritic: Madden 10 http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...60/maddennfl10

No doubt, Madden 10 has made great strides this season, in nearly every category that truly matters. So, with so many improvements, how could this game possibly score worse than 09, or even the same?

Game reviewers are like anyone else, and can certainly change their mind once the honeymoon is over. So, after the travesty that was Madden 09, and years of jerk optimism, then disappointment, could reviewers have just now decided to be much more critical towards EA Tiburon? Because some of these scores seem completely baffling. So, are they really doing their job? Are they really being fair to the new development team? More importantly, are they being fair to us gamers?

Now, let's check out some of the questionable scores, so far, shall we?

1up: Madden 09 - 100
Madden 10 - 83

XboxAddict: Madden 09 - 93
Madden 10 - 92

Official Xbox Magazine: Madden 09 - 90
Madden 10 - 90

Gamezone: Madden 09 - 89
Madden 10 - 85

You make the call. Fair, or BS?
This game is a 100 times better than Madden 09 seriously... I am not just falling into the hype... I havent played a franchise in MAdden in since its been Next Gen I am already on Season 2 of a Saints Franchise...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Man, I wonder how some of you would have responded if Madden 10 stayed the same or isn't anything more than a roster update every year.

All that matters to me in the critic crowd, is myself, Bill Abner and Steve from OS. I could care less what Teamxbox or IGN give out grades.

Last edited by roadman; 08-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Banned

sois's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
If Pro-Tak is considered expensive technology, then Madden is doomed.
It didn't come out of thin air. Either they had to purchase something or devote tons of man hours to it. I am guessing it cost quite a bit of time/$$$.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Man, I wonder how some of you would have responded if Madden 10 stayed the same or isn't anything more than a roster update every year.

All that matters to me in the critic crowd, is myself, Bill Abner and Steve from OS. I could care less what Teamxbox or IGN give out grades.
This is the credited response.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 8

Odd how the less EA spends in advertising the lower their reviews are, isn't it? Makes you go "HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »