Home

Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!!

This is a discussion on Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #65
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Will the REAL REVIEWERS please stand up?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
You fail to see someone's opinion as valid? Compared to what? Your own?

You don't have to understand why someone thinks they may have wished that Tiburon spent more time on something other than Pro-Tak, which in their eyes might not be as big an area that needs addressing as another. Posting links to the inside easports blog proves nothing either. I read every single Madden update that they released every week. I know what they say Pro-Tak is supposed to do. Does not mean that it does it.

I don't want to seem like I am arguing with you, because my comment was not for you and was only in response to someone blasting people for not liking the game as much as he/she does.

I don't agree with plenty of people's opinions and I will discuss and debate them on it. That's what a forum is. But I am not going to tell people that they need to love a game as much as me or else they are a ***** or say that if they love it they are a fan boy. Which is what mainly goes on on every Madden forum I have ever been on.

Sometimes people just don't like the game like you do. It is allowed. Or at least it should be.
Thats just the thing I dont care if someone likes the game... when everyone of my friends loved Madden over the years and I was lone person feelilng that 2k made a better game I never cared that they felt differently but the whole point of a personal opinion usually is to have it based on something personal experience because if its not then is it really your opinion... My response to your original post wasnt even directed at you but to those who keep making the statement that ProTak is meaningless... However there is definately no hard feelings. To anyone on here bottom line this was me was well worth the money this year and I appreciate the effort by Ian and his staff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 12

BTW:

IGN's review is up

8.9/10

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1011937p1.html

Pretty good score.

EDIT - nvm - it's been out for a couple days.

Last edited by Netherscourge; 08-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
here is where I fail to see this as valid... when people say it adds nothing what are they basing that opinion on... Or they saying because another game had a gang tackle engine before that it makes ProTak meaningless (that is the biggest catch 22 I have ever witnessed) or do they feel it isnt implemented in a meaningful way? I hear alot of what people dont like but some dont back it up with examples of what should be done in in its place

Yes we all have opinions but some people are contrarians for the sake of being so.
That's my reason for not being wowed by ProTak. It's a nice addition, and it was long overdued (gang tackling), but I know there can be more that can be done with it. People get impressed so easily because of a new feature. Heck, I was like that when I was younger, when I saw something I have never seen before. I was wowed and easily impressed.

I guess I have very high expectations for Madden franchise than most. It doesn't mean that I want a perfect game because there will never be such a game. For EA to say if it's in the game, then it's in their game, I hold them to their word. I want EA to successfully translate Madden to be as close to the NFL as possible. While they are in the right direction, I want and expect closer.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
BTW:

IGN's review is up

8.9/10

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1011937p1.html

Pretty good score.
old news big guy thats been out for atleast a week.
a IGN fanboy like you should of known that already..pfft
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #69
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
Well witout it the game has been unplayable IMO... the tackling engine was one of the things that kept me from taking EA seriously as a representation of football. So to say its a waste of time or nothing significant then I think people should play 09 again and then come back to Madden 10 and tell me it doesnt make a significant difference.... All in all I dont know what was expected its football its not much new to add

I will be intrested in how the Euphoria Tackle system works compared to ProTak becuase the ultimate comparison is how well does it replicate real football
Again, I don't think that it adds NOTHING. I didn't say that. To say that the game is unplayable without it though is a stretch.

What you are basically saying is that the way that the previous Madden's do certain things, ie blocking and tackling, were not up to snuff. I wholeheartedly agree. BUT, it's not like before Pro-Tak, no Football game handled things that Pro-Tak does.

In 2K you had gang tackling. In some ways it is handled better. Can you have 9 man gang tackles in 2K? No. Do the 9 man gang tackles look cool? Yes, but one major thing that is missing is you can't really impact a gang tackle in Pro-Tak once it is started. Anytime a Pro-Tak moment happens, all hitting bets are off. It is purely about pushing. If two defenders have a ball carrier wrapped up and you would like to come over and lay the hit stick on him to knock him over, guess what? You graze off of the pile. Nothing can interfere with Pro-Tak. All you can do is latch on and add to the pushing pile. It's not the worst thing in the world, but in my opinion, if I am forced to choose between 9 man semi-scripted gang tackles or having tackles be totally dynamic, but can never have more than 4 people involved, I will choose the latter. Again, that's just me.

Pro-Tak gives us formed pockets. Something that was lacking in Madden and was greatly needed. Great, but it isn't like other games never had them before. Nothing wrong with the formed pockets in 2K.

Pushing the pile? Breaking, or "branching" tackles as Tiburon calls it? Yeah other Football games have had those too.

Look, I'm not saying that Pro-Tak is a bad thing. There are definite improvements with it, and also some limitations as mentioned. But, when people say they don't think it adds anything, it is mainly because they have seen MOST of the things that Pro-Tak brings in other games, and chalk that up to being FOOTBALL. Not something revolutionary. Just something that should be there underneath running quietly. They don't see it as a feature. They see it as a necessity. No big Tiburon love fest, let's applaud these guys for something so uber innovative. Just a basic Football gameplay staple.

When they say it adds nothing they take it too far, but I think others take it too far the other way with extolling how revolutionary it is as well. It is only "so great" because Madden has been so lacking in fundamentals for so long.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #70
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlaidher
old news big guy thats been out for atleast a week.
a IGN fanboy like you should of known that already..pfft

Oh well - I have a life and do other things besides attach my face to a PC monitor - go figure.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #71
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Oh well - I have a life and do other things besides attach my face to a PC monitor - go figure.
your right you probably had your face attached to a tv screen while jackin off to the cover of madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #72
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Naw I was not under the belief that the blocking, wr db interaction, reception animations, throwing the ball etc was done correctly in previous versions of EA games... and while gang tackling doesnt fix those things it fixed that glaring hole... but that isnt to say that EA hasnt fixed those other isses either. Overall the game plays a excellent version of football. does it need work? yes... but so did 2k5 and so did All Pro football and just as those games each had its on shortcomings and different areas that needed work this game does more right than it does wrong...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »