Home

A little worried about something in Abner's Madden Review

This is a discussion on A little worried about something in Abner's Madden Review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: A little worried about something in Abner's Madden Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I have yet to see the cpu come out and be completely baffled as to which formation/personel to have on the field.

I have. A 4-3 against a 5 wide. But Yet the Linebacker was still able to keep up with Maclin, when I heard he shouldn't be able too.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

The game, seemingly, bases its defensive sets on the down/distance more than it does your personnel.

If you have 3rd and 10 it will call a suitable pass defense and bring in extra DBs.

Now, is the AI baffled by what you do? No. It won't leave a receiver unguarded. It WILL have no qualms putting an OLB on a slot receiver, though. This has been in Madden for years -- it's just a bit more evident now that the ratings have been stretched. I see that every single game.

The AI will also make up for this by sometimes putting a safety on a slot man -- still a mismatch as safeties can't cover too well (otherwise they'd be cornerbacks). It depends on what formation you're in compared to theirs.

It will also do that and try and keep a safety deep if it can. But it makes crossing routes to the slot men a bit easy because most OLBs can't keep pace.

It's not that the AI refuses to call dimes and nickels, it just doesn't do this based on what you're doing.

Prime example: I was playing as the Browns and it was 3rd and 4 and I went single back 3 wide. Instead of bringing in the nickel back the AI kept its base 4-3 on the field, put the OLB on Massaquoi (rookie WR), kept a safety over the TE and the other safety was playing deep. Any QB worth his salt will see this immediately and abuse the OLB trying to guard the 4.5 40 WR. The AI needs to bring in that nickel back in a case like this.

Netherscourge, yes, in a real game if you run I Formation 2 TE on 1st down and come out 5 wide on 2nd down -- I guarantee you that the defense will be in a different package. 100% of the time. When you sub in those 5 wide receivers the defensive Co-ordinator (or his asst) will see the package you are putting in and in call the appropriate counter.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com

Last edited by Bill_Abner; 08-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryBook
This. It'd be wise not to play man to man in a 4-3 scheme against 3 receiver sets though but depending on the team, you'd rather have the extra LB to try and tackle Michael Turner than a nickel back on 1st and 10.
Exactly, I played against the Falcons and held turner to 78 yards on 18 carries. 4-3 has a lotof different zone blitzes in there as well. If I come out in 5 wide, they will match up for sure..the AI that is
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
The game, seemingly, bases its defensive sets on the down/distance more than it does your personnel.

If you have 3rd and 10 it will call a suitable pass defense and bring in extra DBs.

Now, is the AI baffled by what you do? No. It won't leave a receiver unguarded. It WILL have no qualms putting an OLB on a slot receiver, though. This has been in Madden for years -- it's just a bit more evident now that the ratings have been stretched. I see that every single game.

The AI will also make up for this by sometimes putting a safety on a slot man -- still a mismatch as safeties can't cover too well (otherwise they'd be cornerbacks). It depends on what formation you're in compared to theirs.

It will also do that and try and keep a safety deep if it can. But it makes crossing routes to the slot men a bit easy because most OLBs can't keep pace.

It's not that the AI refuses to call dimes and nickels, it just doesn't do this based on what you're doing.

Prime example: I was playing as the Browns and it was 3rd and 4 and I went single back 3 wide. Instead of bringing in the nickel back the AI kept its base 4-3 on the field, put the OLB on Massaquoi (rookie WR), kept a safety over the TE and the other safety was playing deep. Any QB worth his salt will see this immediately and abuse the OLB trying to guard the 4.5 40 WR. The AI needs to bring in that nickel back in a case like this.

Netherscourge, yes, in a real game if you run I Formation 2 TE on 1st down and come out 5 wide on 2nd down -- I guarantee to you that the defense will be in a different package. 100% of the time. When you sub in those 5 wide receivers the defensive Co-ordinator (or his asst) will see the package you are putting in and in call the appropriate counter.
Great info Bill.

Kinda wish I never read it though. I guess NCAA logic works the same way. I thought it was weird that the CPU would come out in a 4-3 very frequently against my Texas Tech squad. Damn. Hope this can be fixed for next year.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Kinda unrelated, but how does this work in real life? Does the offense send out a package and then the defense reacts?

Or does the defense package get determine by the situation? For example, if it's 3rd and 11, do they send out a nickel package regardless of what the offense uses?

Thanks football gurus.
In real life defensive packages are usually based on the personnel the offense has in. The defense subs there players after they see who the offense subs.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying Bill. But can I assume from your rather lofty review that it doesn't detract too much from the experience?

Do the sliders help the LBs cover the receivers (I'm thinking of the speed slider in particular)? I've been reading your blog entries and you've been getting pretty accurate stats using the Browns.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

sois, yes, that is a great example.

However, Madden does have a speed setting this year and if this is really driving you nuts you can change the difference between fast players.

For example: At "50" the speeds are based solely on ratings. If you make it a '30' the fast guys are even faster than the slower players. At 70 the players are sort of scrunched together speed wise.

So if you want to make it so the OLB is a bit better at keeping up, move that slider to 60-70. The fast guys are still faster, but the difference isn't as dramatic.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #16
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
sois, yes, that is a great example.

However, Madden does have a speed setting this year and if this is really driving you nuts you can change the difference between fast players.

For example: At "50" the speeds are based solely on ratings. If you make it a '30' the fast guys are even faster than the slower players. At 70 the players are sort of scrunched together speed wise.

So if you want to make it so the OLB is a bit better at keeping up, move that slider to 60-70. The fast guys are still faster, but the difference isn't as dramatic.
Wow that is really interesting. I thought the sliders were for gameplay speed, as in made all the motions happen faster/slower. Didn't realize it worked that way. Thanks for all the useful information.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »