Home

Haynesworth feasting on my cap room - Need advice

This is a discussion on Haynesworth feasting on my cap room - Need advice within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Haynesworth feasting on my cap room - Need advice

One word: Ugh.

Playing my home and favorite team...the Skins. When doing scouting as well as looking at my Player Management screens...I have like 3 mil cap room at the start of the 09 season.

Now I'm not a fan of Jason Campbell. He's ok but being that this is the last year of contract, I'm probably going to release him after this year which means I need a QB. So from Week 1 I've been scouting QB's for the draft and while I would love to get a 1st round QB pick as my new franchise QB ..the problem is my cap room.

Why? Because the Redskins ownership decided to spend $100mil on a 7 yr contract for a defensive player named Albert Haynesworth. Granted he is the man, but I don't understand why they did this. I can see spending that much on a 97+ OVR QB or RB but I mean damn.

So now I have a dilemma. I want to do what is right for the best interest of making my team better and building.

My questions to you fine people are:

1. Should I trade Haynesworth, free up a good amount of cap room and trade for some quality positions or even some picks for the 2010 draft?

2. Should I try to get a highly rated QB in the first round of the draft or do some thorough scouting and maybe get a decent gem in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Need some advice here guys.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Rookie

adamgod8's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Haynesworth feasting on my cap room - Need advice

All depends how big of an impact Haynesworth has been for you... Is he worth all the cap room he is taking up?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgod8
All depends how big of an impact Haynesworth has been for you... Is he worth all the cap room he is taking up?
Well during the four preseason games when he played he had a combined total of 6 sacks. So far in the 2 regular season games he has had about 12 tackles but no sacks.

I dunno man. I love the guy and his talent, but he really puts a damper on what I can do to build my team up in the draft for 2010. Now granted I could stick it out for 2010 and by 2011 I'll have more cap room to build on.

What ya think?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
One word: Ugh.

Playing my home and favorite team...the Skins. When doing scouting as well as looking at my Player Management screens...I have like 3 mil cap room at the start of the 09 season.

Now I'm not a fan of Jason Campbell. He's ok but being that this is the last year of contract, I'm probably going to release him after this year which means I need a QB. So from Week 1 I've been scouting QB's for the draft and while I would love to get a 1st round QB pick as my new franchise QB ..the problem is my cap room.

Why? Because the Redskins ownership decided to spend $100mil on a 7 yr contract for a defensive player named Albert Haynesworth. Granted he is the man, but I don't understand why they did this. I can see spending that much on a 97+ OVR QB or RB but I mean damn.

So now I have a dilemma. I want to do what is right for the best interest of making my team better and building.

1. Should I trade Haynesworth, free up a good amount of cap room and trade for some quality positions or even some picks for the 2010 draft?

2. Should I try to get a highly rated QB in the first round of the draft or do some thorough scouting and maybe get a decent gem in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Thanks in advance!
If you trade him, won't that put you in a bind with regards to cap penalties? You may just be stuck with him.

If the contracts are anything like Head Coach '09, you'll be paying out the wazoo in penalties, to the point where it's not worth it. Be careful, lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
If you trade him, won't that put you in a bind with regards to cap penalties? You may just be stuck with him.
Hmm...I'm still learning about salary cap and player salaries, etc. But I thought that if you trade a player ..all that money goes to the team that wants him? Or do I take the hit on the bonus (guaranteed) money?

Damn you Jim Zorn for putting me into this position. :P LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Ahhh... THIS is what I love best about the NFL. The game within the game.

You have to make a decision here. You most likely cannot trade/cut Haynesworth without wrecking your cap for this year and the next.

Try packaging your picks in the 2010 draft. If you find a stud QB, go for it, Ricky Williams style. That way you only have to pay one rookie.

If you can get a gem in the 2nd round, that would be optimal. Trade your 1st in 2010 for picks in 2011. Shipping that pick away would give you some time to get your cap adjusted.

Albert won't be cuttable most likely for the first four years of his deal. That bonus is massive.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Rookie

Phennixx's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Having just played against the Redskins in my chise, Hayneworth is a BEAST! I was held to just 70 yards rushing. Defense WINS championships, so I would hold on to him.

I'd look at it like this, the Redskins are not a "young team" but arent an "old team" either but you have a lot of cap dollars tied up in player over 28 (guessing on that), so the time to strike is now, dont worry bout drafting a hot-shot QB I'd take BPA for depth and go find a game manager QB like a Kerry Collins in FA
Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Hmm...I'm still learning about salary cap and player salaries, etc. But I thought that if you trade a player ..all that money goes to the team that wants him? Or do I take the hit on the bonus (guaranteed) money?

Damn you Jim Zorn for putting me into this position. :P LOL
It's an accounting issue. The bonus is spread out over the length of the contract. That way you minimize the impact.

If you trade/cut, you accelerate those prorated years back to your current cap figures. This used to be why June 1st was a special day in NFL free agency. It was a way to cut the impact of the cap acceleration in half.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »