Home

What is the consensus on the 3-4?

This is a discussion on What is the consensus on the 3-4? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What is the consensus on the 3-4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Man Ching
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. A lot of the guys in 3-4 will get double teamed but that matters how the center can handle him.
The NT often gets double teamed because he knocks the center back as soon as the ball is snapped so a G has to help out.

The C has to focus on the count and quality of the snap rather than just waiting for the NT to come.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkontheOS
Yea, I really wish developers would read these forums. Then, they could see that the 3-4 is completely different than the 4-3 and teams that run the 3-4 scout different than the 4-3 teams. However this thread could have 1500 posts and it still would not get patched...kind of like the NCAA progression, but this is all we can do as consumers.
do you reallllly believe this?

you think devs really learn something as basic as this from a forum?

you really think this issue can be resolved with a simple patch?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
This is brilliant work. You have a great grasp on the sport and your post has great information and good ideas.

wow..

don't be afraid to get some pillows so your knees don't start to hurt.. i've seen paying of compliments on here before, but this seems... excessive?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

Man I was hoping they would fix that. I played like 3 season with Dallas last year and the most sacks I got with Ware was like 8. The problem on Madden is that Ware is so good that they put 2 or 3 guys on him but he cant beat them in time to get to the qb. No matter what defensive play I run it's just really unrealistic.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 9

Has Ian said anything about this?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #38
Rookie

Jim Jones's Arena

OVR: 5

It's totally ridiculous. The 3-4 is a joke in this game. Those sack totals the Steeler guy posted up there are the norm. I simmed a season and friggin DeMarcus Ware had 3 sacks, James Harrison had 7 and Shawn Merriman had 4.5

I'm doing an online franchise w/ the Cowboys and I'm just converting to a 4-3 and playing Ware at DE. It's pointless to have my best player be a complete non-factor.

Last edited by Jim Jones; 08-13-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 4

Is there any way to switch all teams in the game to 4-3 before you start an offline franchise?

I'm considering this if it's an option.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetique
That's the main thing I'm hearing as well. But that still leaves the scheme basically broken for alot of teams.

My team for example, the steelers, make exotic use of the 3-4 scheme with zone blitzes. But in Madden it's not that threatening because if the NT isn't drawing the double team on the pass, then I'd have to blitz at least 2 LBs to get any sort of pressure on the QB.

It's not a problem for the 4-3 in Madden because the pressure point is accurate. In the 4-3 pressure is created by the DEs, and with one of the DEs pretty much guaranteed to only have a single blocker, it works fine. Bring extra pressure from a backer in 4-3 and you're just about guaranteed to get pressure from somewhere because 5 players are basically going after the QB.

With the 3-4 if the NT doesn't get double teamed my 3 lineman are occupied, blitzing one LB is basically pointless, and even with 2 you're still not guaranteed to get pressure, but it's the bare minimum to have a chance at it.
Very rarely do the Steelers, or any other 30 team rush just 3. The OLB in the 30 front are the ones that are singled and they are the ones who normally come up with the sack. This whole idea about NT getting doubled comes from idiot announcers who don't know what they are talking about. Most pro offenses' protection schemes vs. 30 fronts involve sliding one or the other guards to the center with the center helping on the nose, but being responsible for the backer. The slide-side guard and tackle slide to the 4 technique and OLB. The back duals to the other side. Nose Guards ARE NOT exclusively doubled in the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »