Home

What is the consensus on the 3-4?

This is a discussion on What is the consensus on the 3-4? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
What is the consensus on the 3-4?

For those with the game is it finally effective this year? Or is it once again useless because the NT won't pick up 2 blockers?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: What is the consensus on the 3-4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGiani
For those with the game is it finally effective this year? Or is it once again useless because the NT won't pick up 2 blockers?
I only played 1 game with a 3-4 defensive team, the Ravens.

It didn't seem like the NT drew a double team much, if at all.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

I haven't really noticed the DT drawing double teams.

3-4 plays like it did in the past, to me.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

I wish they'd get this right. They should focus a lot on defense in 2011 (if not for a patch) because the best defenses in the league are running a 3-4, yet from what I've read, it seems pretty tough in the game. I'll have to experience it for myself to know for sure though.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 15

Trust me...double-teaming happens. I use the Skins and against some teams regardless if i use 4-3 or 3-4 Haynesworth gets double teamed and sometimes gets triple teamed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

I have seen double teams on running plays and on passing plays the NT will engage the center while a Guard will peel behind the center and pick up the NT once he breaks the block. Not a true double team on the passing plays but better than the past.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
I have seen double teams on running plays and on passing plays the NT will engage the center while a Guard will peel behind the center and pick up the NT once he breaks the block. Not a true double team on the passing plays but better than the past.
That's the main thing I'm hearing as well. But that still leaves the scheme basically broken for alot of teams.

My team for example, the steelers, make exotic use of the 3-4 scheme with zone blitzes. But in Madden it's not that threatening because if the NT isn't drawing the double team on the pass, then I'd have to blitz at least 2 LBs to get any sort of pressure on the QB.

It's not a problem for the 4-3 in Madden because the pressure point is accurate. In the 4-3 pressure is created by the DEs, and with one of the DEs pretty much guaranteed to only have a single blocker, it works fine. Bring extra pressure from a backer in 4-3 and you're just about guaranteed to get pressure from somewhere because 5 players are basically going after the QB.

With the 3-4 if the NT doesn't get double teamed my 3 lineman are occupied, blitzing one LB is basically pointless, and even with 2 you're still not guaranteed to get pressure, but it's the bare minimum to have a chance at it.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

unfortunately...the 3-4 and 4-3 behave exactly the same...sadly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »