Home

lets talk "wildcat" defense

This is a discussion on lets talk "wildcat" defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: lets talk "wildcat" defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
Is it really that bad? Or are all the people moaning about it just unable to react defensively?

So what if teams are running you ragged, that's what it's supposed to do, you know, help a team WIN a football game... Oh and you're only calling it 'WildCRAP' because you're losing to it.

I don't even like said formation that much, but it's a commonly used football formation, and they won't take it out because certain people can't stop it. It's up to the defense to make stops remember...

Like a few people said earlier on, once you adapt properly to it, you'll be able to stop it. Besides, they aren't going to ban you from playing another skill position in real life if you happen to be able to throw the football, so it's going to continue being used. Whether or not it is effective going forward, we'll see.
wildcrap is just like rc an average soul cant stop.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #34
MVP

sooner1's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18manning18
Dollar formation-Engage eight....nuff said. Against the dolphins or the few playbooks which actually have throwing plays it might be more difficult but that did a nice job when i've seen it.
Yeah that would work great when they pass the ball out of it.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #35
Rookie

RiversIsMyHero's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
Is it really that bad?
The real problem is the DB/LB/DE pursuit angles. Normally it's a problem but against the Wildcat it can get you in real trouble.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
See, id run it here and there just to see if i could get a block and spring loose. but it seems way to gimmicky to try to base my offense off of. i perfer my andy reid style offense. a lot of short high percentage passes.
I thought that was the Bill Walsh style of offense ;-)
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #37
All Star

OVR: 33

cover 2 man, and a rangy safety.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #38
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
I thought that was the Bill Walsh style of offense ;-)
Yeah, who did Andy Reed work under? Mike Holmgren right? Who did Holmgren work under? Bill Walsh right? Who did Bill Walsh work under? Paul Brown right? The "west coast," according to football historians is really just what the Vikings with Fran Tarkington were doing in he 60's/70's. The "West coast" wasn't new and the Wild cat isn't new.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The precursor to the Wildcat formation is named the "Wing-T",[1][2] and is widely credited to being first implemented by Coach Tubby Raymond and Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens football team.[3][4][5] Tubby Raymond later wrote a book on the innovative formation. The Wildcat's similarity to the Wing-T is the focus on series football, where the initial movements of every play look similar. For example, the Wing-T makes use of motion across the formation as well in order to draw a reaction from the defense, but runs several different plays from the same look.
The virtue of having a running back take the snap in the Wildcat formation is that the rushing play is 11-on-11 (although different variations have the running back hand off or throw the football). In a standard football formation, when the quarterback stands watching, the offense operates 10-on-11 basis. The motion also presents the defense with an immediate threat to the outside that it must respect no matter what the offense decides to do with the football.
Also note:
Quote:
National Football League
In a December 24, 2006 game between the Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons, the Panthers deployed a formation without a quarterback and directly snapped the ball to running back DeAngelo Williams.[10] The Panthers ran the ball—mostly in this formation—for the first twelve plays of the opening drive. The offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers at the time was Dan Henning, who later developed this concept into the Wildcat as the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins.
Lastly:

Quote:
Through eleven games, the Wildcat averaged over seven yards per play for the Dolphins.
Being informed, looking things up, and citing your sources is teh tech.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

if you really are having that much trouble against the wildcat, you need to get your stick game up
Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 AM   #40
Rookie

Ronnie brown23's Arena

OVR: 3

stop complaining and learn how to stop it. try new things. lab it with a friend. smh at ppl calling it cheese. everything is cheese to you guys when you don't know how to stop it. the game just came out. im sure theres a way to shut it down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »