Home

Gamespot review

This is a discussion on Gamespot review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Gamespot review

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopizzle34
maybe NCAA is not bad to you bro,and thats' cool,but to me,it is 09 with the gimmick Season Showdown and little else,I can't wait to trade it in for some real football(madden 10)
It's not great, but quite a few things are improved over 09. Computer will at least somewhat adjust to what you are calling better, setup plays are a cool idea and I'd like it to be in madden too, but other things need work. Screens to the running back are still far too effective for one
Old 08-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #34
Pro

Indyboy180's Arena

OVR: 5

I guess Hammond is gonna get the boot in 11
btw did anyone notice the Superbowl was Oak vs Sea lmao
Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #35
Pro

Dienekes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
People need to understand, Madden is not only judged by how well it has improved upon in the previous year. Madden is in competition with every other video game on the market, and the reviewer sees madden as a mid-tier video game.

Madden needs to see that there is another level of improvements to be made if it wants to be seen as one of the top video games on the current generation of consoles.
The problem was the reviewer failed to really touch on the significant changes that effect the game, speed, acc. clock, ratings. He also negated things like pro-tac and presentation.

He made it obvious that he is not a sim or discerning sports gamer.

Sometimes I think sites crack big games that are legitimately good with low scores just to generate site traffic. This is certainly not something that Gamespot would shy away from considering some of the questionable ethics they have demonstrated in the recent past.

I have recently started working in web design and it is all about the dollar to many out there. Hard to be an impartial review site when the manufactuers are generating most of your revenue. best thing to do with sites like this is not click on them, their links or anything else. read the first paragraph on metacritic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 14

Gamespot has been trying to repair their image ever since they were looked at as major yes-men over sponsors dictating favorable reviews. They are trying to break tradition of years and years of straight 8.0+ reviews no matter what the quality of Madden actually was. A 7.5 comes right in under the curve.

However, I do believe the guy who reviewed Madden 10 had very honest content within the review. I had no problem with it, but I was surprised by the score. Just going on the review itself without looking at a score, Madden would be a definite buy for me. The fluidity of the gameplay looks very nice and I got a chance to verify this first hand by playing a retail copy tonight. It changed my initial feelings I got from playing both available demos.

I'd say it's Madden's best game to date without a doubt!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #37
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Gamespot has just lost its reputation in my book. This year's Madden is clearly one of the best Maddens in the franchise, if not the best, and it definitely does not deserve lower ratings than the games that EVERYONE wants to forget.

Madden finally caters to "SIM-style" players, but if reviews like this keep coming in, you have to fear for the direction of the franchise.

Last edited by MattIntellect; 08-13-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 15

In the whole scheme of things, I think in the end this reviewer is pretty spot on. Especially with the headline, "A number of features make Madden NFL 10 a more realistic and enjoyable portrayal of football, but a few problems--both old and new--continue to trouble the series."

It is a more realistic and very much more enjoyable portrayal of football. I've played about a handful of games. But the OLD problems of Madden are still troubling the series for instance run blocking and downfield blocking are simply atrocious. My lineman can't see 3 feet past their noses, they don't block guys in front of their face sometimes, PITCH PLAYS ARE BROKEN. It affects my style of play and it's almost a game breaker for me. But, everything else is pretty dang solid. Presentation is freaking awesome, passing is sweet, my style of defense plays good, I can't wait to try online franchise, etc.. I would give it an 8 or so.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #39
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
If Madden'10 ends up with a lower Metacritic score than Madden'09 this new development team might be in trouble.
EA will look at sales, not review scores.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #40
Pro

Dienekes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
Madden finally caters to "SIM-style" players, but if reviews like this keep coming in, you have to fear for the direction of the franchise.
Agree totally. The problem with the review is not what he said as much as what he left out, plus the fact that he is obviously not a guy who really knows football or sports games.

I trust OS implicitly, they gave it a 9. 7.5 is so low it reeks of ulterior motive or a publicity stunt.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »