Home

Carlos Rogers Resign him, Let him go, or FT him?

This is a discussion on Carlos Rogers Resign him, Let him go, or FT him? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Carlos Rogers Resign him, Let him go, or FT him?

Ok my friends I have another decision to make. To give you a little background I have finished my first season with the Redskins and my record was 7-9. Clinton Portis got named Offensive Player of the Year as he got 1546 yards with 23 rushing TD's.

Oh and by the way, the Saints and Steelers went to the Super Bowl. Final Score: Saints 23 - Steelers 17. Interesting.

Anyways I'm at the point in my offseason where I am resigning players and Carlos Rogers is a 90 OVR right now with an A in potential. He's 29 years old and ready to resign. The problem is the only way I can get him to resign is giving him a 5 year contract at $65mil with a $19mil signing bonus.

Normally this would be fine because I like Rogers, he's a 90 OVR and has an A in potential however because he's 29 years old..he might start to decline after next year (players that are older than 30 normally start to regress).

Currently if I sign him to this $65mil/5 year deal ...it puts a $8+ mil hit to my cap of course. I COULD potentially franchise tag him which lets me sign him for 1 year at $10mil.

What do you guys think I should do? Let him go? Can I franchise tag him for 1 year and then trade him during THAT year?

Need help here fellas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Re: Carlos Rogers Resign him, Let him go, or FT him?

If you have the cap room, I would franchise tag him and then trade him. If I remember correctly when you franchise tag a player he has no singing bonus so you won't take a cap hit when you trade him.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
If you have the cap room, I would franchise tag him and then trade him. If I remember correctly when you franchise tag a player he has no singing bonus so you won't take a cap hit when you trade him.
Yea I was a little iffy on what exactly Franchise Tagging means. So I understand correctly, the entire point of Franchise Tagging a player is if he's about 30 years old and has a good OVR and Potential...people do this so they can get a good trade for him without taking any penalty on next year's cap?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

yea, if your not that big on him i'd tag him and trade him, given you have enough cap room to get through the off-season.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

I would say tag him and trade him this off-season. You could stockpile draft picks with his kind of talent. Plus if you trade him this off-season you will have $10 million more to use on FA and draft picks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

I would resign him. It is a lot of money but 90 is very high with the new ratings. Also he will be 34 when the contract is up even if he drops down as low as 82-85 range when he gets older you still have a quality player with the new ratings. But that is me I like to keep the players that i like during my franchise. To take it a little further, do you have guys behind him that are ready to take his spot.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
Yea I was a little iffy on what exactly Franchise Tagging means. So I understand correctly, the entire point of Franchise Tagging a player is if he's about 30 years old and has a good OVR and Potential...people do this so they can get a good trade for him without taking any penalty on next year's cap?
its actually in place in real life if you can't reach a contract agreement to pay him the average at that Position in real life.. But yeah, I guess you can tag someone when there old to do some salary fudging. Nothing stoping you in a video game lol
Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm also running a Redskins Franchise (6-2 at the moment) and I'm definitly going to sign him to a extension. I'm still up in the air about Jason Campbell though. I may let him go and draft a QB in the latter rounds, I will not take a QB in the early rounds, or see what kind of FA QB's are out there at the end of the year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »