Home

Scouting help needed

This is a discussion on Scouting help needed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Scouting help needed

Great thread and that chart is just what we need as a guide. Thanks Mekias!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
As an avid scouter myself, you need to pay close attention to their combine scores as well. If lets say you are drafting a DT, DE, or OL then look at their bench reps as well as their potential bar in the beginning.

Before you even start scouting be sure to check your Player Management Screen, Roster Breakdown and/or Depth Chart to see which positions you need. Check where you don't have much depth, but also check a positions current OVR and POT as well as look at their contract years and see who's going to be renewing soon.

I'll give you an example: (i play the skins)

In the year 2010 I HAD to let Portis and Moss go. It was their contract year and Portis was about to be 30 years old, and Moss was about to hit 31 I believe. You have to remember that once a player hits 31 in age they start to degress unless they put up GODLY numbers for the season.

If you are trying to draft a HB or WR, I assume you want speed at either position? Always, ALWAYS check their 40 time. If it's above 4.35 look elsewhere. I don't care if their potential bar is through the roof....they will be slow and be a bust most likely.

Hope this helps...if you have more questions let us know bud.

Edit: Wanted to add something. During your scouting process ..lets say you hit week 2 of your scouting and one of them says "Injury Rating is SCOUTED. It's a 52." or something along those lines, then stop scouting right there. As SOON as you see something that is a horrible rating to that particular position (in this case, injury is for every position) then you stop scouting that player and move on to the next one.
I agree with just about everything but the speed. With the stretched ratings, you can actually build an offense to your liking (ie if you have a QB with horrendous deep accuracy, you could have all the burners in the world and it ain't getting there) if you want a west coast offense then you want sure hands and rte running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs_rizzo
I laughed when I scouted a mid-to-late round QB in week one of my franchise. Looking at the scouting report it said "throw power: not full scouted - definitely under a 99".
I'd be willing to bet he's right on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpider
Hire better scouting agency during the off season
Not quite. The options this year are less reports (18) at better quality or more reports (24, etc) at lesser quality while you're getting info on more players the info you're getting isn't as accurate. I've also noticed that after simming for 3 years I've gained another report using the most accurate agency so maybe this will happen more often.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #35
Pro

SuperChargers's Arena

OVR: 10

I have had several TE and linemen and it says, run block- not fully scouted, definetly over 0. Same thing for a runningbacks ball carrier vision. I laughed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #36
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

I would love to see a feature in the scouting that shows us where a player is projected to go. And have that change. So in week 2, a guy can be projected to go in the fifth round. By week 16 of the NFL season, maybe this kid is projected to go in round 2. He's rising--but is it due to hype or genuine talent? I think that would add another intriguing wrinkle to scouting.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

So I'm guessing 28 bench reps is pretty good for a RB?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm kinda confused. What exactly am I looking for? Just speed, strength or tackle (for defenders)?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokaparty
I'm kinda confused. What exactly am I looking for? Just speed, strength or tackle (for defenders)?
There was a thread on here a few days ago that I can't seem to find the link to that explained what attributes are most important to each position. If someone else can find that and post it, it will help you understand what you need to look for when your scouting

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »