Home

Keys to stopping the pass?

This is a discussion on Keys to stopping the pass? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Keys to stopping the pass?

This is the most fun I've had with Madden since 2005. But the one thing that still kills me is the fact that I will likely be first in rush defense and last in pass defense. Given I play as the Bears so its not completely unrealistic. But, I'd love to be able to defend the pass a little better. I don't want to give up 300+ yards every, single game through the air.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Keys to stopping the pass?

Pass rush. Try controlling Brown or Ogunleye.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I've been controlling Ogunleye but I can never get to the QB. The game I just played I only managed one sack and it wasn't by me. The final drive of the game ALWAYS kills my stats. I might hold a team to around 150-200 passing yards but on the final drive of the game (if I am up) the CPU becomes Joe Montana and completes everything to add 80+ yards to their passing totals. Very frustrating but largely because I suck at pass defense I guess.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I've been controlling Ogunleye but I can never get to the QB. The game I just played I only managed one sack and it wasn't by me. The final drive of the game ALWAYS kills my stats. I might hold a team to around 150-200 passing yards but on the final drive of the game (if I am up) the CPU becomes Joe Montana and completes everything to add 80+ yards to their passing totals. Very frustrating but largely because I suck at pass defense I guess.
use the sliders
Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

I agree.

This years AI is still similar to last years in some ways. Without adjusting sliders, on any default difficulty, the CPU can pass way too well and can not run at all. However, I won't call it roboQB because it's more about the stout O Line play by the CPU than the perfect reads each down.

Thank goodness there's sliders for almost everything this year

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
If you're not already, try using the D-Line R-Stick moves, and avoid using the speed burst button when about to be engaged. I got 2 sacks in one game with the Pats rookie DT Brace this way on All Pro.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I find defensive assignments work very well too. Ted Ginn was murdering me with long plays. He was never heard from again once I put Chris Gamble on him.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

People keep saying "dont sprint" but I have found it to make little difference when using Brown(Panthers DE). It may be more effective when using a DT but I have been able to average 3+ sacks a game while providing near constant pressure if its a poor Oline he is matched up against.

I have found that a dominate Olinemen is something to fear running into. In the pass game they will completely shut down the rusher and in the run game they will move them 5+ yards down field. Try making mismatches. If you happen to have a strong pass rusher move him around on the line to try and match him up against a weak pass blocker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »