Home

Did it live up to the hype?

This is a discussion on Did it live up to the hype? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Did it live up to the hype?

I think it seems like 'Madden' players are finding it TOO sim for them.They think they prefer sim but in reality their so used to how Madden was.2k players are,for the most part,more impressed by the change of direction.We haven't played Madden very much for years now.

If you can live with some of the little things that can hopefully be cleaned up via patch or next year and you find the right sliders,you'll enjoy this game.It's growing on me.

Too many people get frustrated because their too stubborn to adjust sliders slightly lower for their skill level until they get more used to this game.You can't just complete deep passes on all-pro with most qb's and you can't expect a bunch of sacks every game.You have to work at it.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
Rookie

prime21time37's Arena

OVR: 5

i think we've gotten used to lookin for any negative we can find instead of focusing on having the best time we can with the GAME. its really not that bad. there is some annoying parts, but overall this game is not that bad. decent sliders, rosters, and a patch to take care of some minor issues and i think we have a winner. thers just so much we can find to bash. we want better gameplay and then complain about no cheerleaders. there will NEVER be a perfect game. madden 10 is very playable and is fun to. strides above last year. all i can say is stop buying it if you feel every year your getting disappointed. and dont complain about the liscence cause if a company gave you a crap load of money to be the only one doing whatever you do, you would take it too.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

I have to agree with you guys on alot of things presented. While the expectations were huge, many players really make a big deal over rather small issues. I think last years game was decent. I know there were some glitches, and that the franchise mode crashed after something like 8 years. But honestly I usually started a new chise after about 5-6 years in frachise mode so it never really affected me.

I have never jumped on EA with Madden except for maybe Madden 06(the first on the next get), but I fully understand why that game is the way it was.

I guess eventually i'm hoping to see Madden become a game like MLB: The show. I think that game is the template for sports games, especially this years edition. I am a huge fan of franchises, and I guess one thing I would like to see worked on, after the gameplay of course, for next years Madden is the off-season/transaction part of the game. Restricted Free-Agents, Holdouts, and computer trades(trades in general) are becoming a huge part of the NFL so im really hoping to see a few of those things make the cut next year.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 7

NFL 2k5 is still better.. its a shame really. I got the game an entire week early. To be honest with you, it's still a bareboned game full of bugs. The so called presentation is just the same 8 or so cutscenes played over and over in one game. And the half time show is the bare minimum
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm not disappointed in the slightest, my friend. So far I've enjoyed this game. I feel like Ian and company got the ball rolling in the right direction. Sure this should have been seen in 07, but I'm not going to focus on something that I can't change. That wasn't the fault of this dev team.

The improvements are easy to see for those of us who picked up NCAA this year. Don't get me wrong, I like NCAA, but Madden is the one I'd get if I could only get one. The slower speed really does improve this game. The cut scenes are a very welcome addition. The gameplay as whole feels so much more natural to me. This is the sim I've been waiting for.

That said, I think they can improve on a few areas for next year. First off, importing NCAA draft classes is something that needs work. I think they need to work with the NCAA team a little more so that the ratings are a little better for in coming rookies. Also, I long to see the day when all those that declare or are seniors are in the draft class. This is easy to do but they'd need to allow larger training camp rosters and require use to make cuts.

The 3-4 defense is working like it should as everyone has said. Hopefully that gets fixed in a patch, but if not next year defense needs a little more love. Still, it hasn't been enough to make me hate the game or anything.

Improvements on the players faces on cut scenes. Some of them look just horrible when the helmet comes off. I personally want more of the presentation we've seen. This year is a great taste, but I hope even more is to come for next year and I think it will be. I'm pretty sure that we'll get custom stadium sounds next year. I can't wait to hear working whenever my Packers score a touchdown.

I really think they need to just dump Hammonds. He's horrible. Collingsworth is ok so he could stay, but Hammonds needs to get the boot. I doubt that will happen, but one can dream.

In short, if you like the Maddens from PS2 days, you'll be happy to see Madden back to a sim and headed in the right direction. Sure it needs some improvements, but Ian and company heard us and are trying to bring us a true NFL sim. The future is bright for this series now. Just hope like others have said that they don't feel now they've made it cause the best should be yet to come.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #22
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm loving it. I'm playing it every chance I get. With madden 09, I quit playing it within days.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

This game more than lives up to the hype, at least for me. I went in with a skeptical attitude and was blown away. This game is dope. Period.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
I think it seems like 'Madden' players are finding it TOO sim for them.They think they prefer sim but in reality their so used to how Madden was.2k players are,for the most part,more impressed by the change of direction.We haven't played Madden very much for years now.

If you can live with some of the little things that can hopefully be cleaned up via patch or next year and you find the right sliders,you'll enjoy this game.It's growing on me.

Too many people get frustrated because their too stubborn to adjust sliders slightly lower for their skill level until they get more used to this game.You can't just complete deep passes on all-pro with most qb's and you can't expect a bunch of sacks every game.You have to work at it.
I think you hit it on the head, i am an avid 2k player and this years rendition is starting to really grow on me once i adjusted the sliders. The sim aspect of it i to think is starting to bother the those people who like the faster pace of the game past efforts BUT i think that can be adjusted to with the sliders and game speeds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »