Home

Thoughts on New Ratings for Next Year?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on New Ratings for Next Year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

OVR: 6
Thoughts on New Ratings for Next Year?

Man this thread sounds cliche, but I do believe that the addition of these ratings would massively strengthen gameplay.

QB RELEASE: How quickly the QB releases the ball once the throw button is pressed.

ESCAPABILITY: How well a QB is able to elude a pass rusher one-on-one to keep the play alive.

BLITZ PICKUP: How well a RB recognizes and picks up blitzes when assigned to pass protection.

FIRST STEP: How well a DL explodes off the ball at the snap.

SCRAMBLE ROUTE: How well a WR scrambles to get open once the QB is out of the pocket.

Now, first on my wishlist of gameplay improvement would be better passrush, but I think that any right analog stick mapping would be useless given the lack of explosion in DL play -- unless that issue's fixed, pass rush really will never be realistic (and that's the goal, right?).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Thoughts on New Ratings for Next Year?

Quote:
QB RELEASE: How quickly the QB releases the ball once the throw button is pressed.
BLITZ PICKUP: How well a RB recognizes and picks up blitzes when assigned to pass protection.
I like these two. The others are kinda eh.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I like these two. The others are kinda eh.
Thanks for the input. Those were the two best for sure.

But as for passrush, you don't think there's a total lack of explosion off the ball? How is a Tommie Harris in this game differentiated from a Casey Hampton? Or a Dwight Freeney from a Haloti Ngata? The classic trivium of SPD, ACC, AGI just doesn't cut it for DL...
Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 13

First off, take out any ratings that dont mean anything. If the regular throw accuracy rating doesnt mean anything, why the hell is it still there? All it is is clutter.

QB Release
: I agree. I suggested this last year too.

Clutch: A player with a high clutch rating could see a boost in ratings (accuracy for QBs, kick accuracy for Ks, awareness, etc) when the game is on the line, where as a player with a low clutch rating would get nervous and would have a temporary drop in ratings.

3-4/4-3 specific ratings
: This could be done a number of ways, but whatever way it IS done, it NEEDS to be done. This BETTER be the last year I see Dwight Freeney being able to be moved from 43 DE to 34 DE without a ratings drop.

Pursuit Angle: A player with a good rating here would obviously take better angles to getting to the ball carriers, where as a player with a bad rating would take a bad angle, which could lead to bad results.

Kick into wind
: I realize alot of this has to do with user control, but some of it should have to do with the player. Certain kickers know how to kick with wind, and some are terrible.

Discipline: Didnt Madden have this rating before? A player with good discipline will stick to his assignments, and a player with bad discipline may stray from it.

Double team: This rating would dictate how often a defender would need double teamed. Obviously, this will apply pretty much only to dominant DLineman and maybe an elite pass rusher.

Cold weather rating
: Some players just dont play well in cold weather.

I realize not all these would be used. Some I just think would be cool if implemented correctly.

I have other ideas, but Ill leave it there for now.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Rookie

imskykid's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
First off, take out any ratings that dont mean anything. If the regular throw accuracy rating doesnt mean anything, why the hell is it still there? All it is is clutter.

QB Release
: I agree. I suggested this last year too.

Clutch: A player with a high clutch rating could see a boost in ratings (accuracy for QBs, kick accuracy for Ks, awareness, etc) when the game is on the line, where as a player with a low clutch rating would get nervous and would have a temporary drop in ratings.

3-4/4-3 specific ratings
: This could be done a number of ways, but whatever way it IS done, it NEEDS to be done. This BETTER be the last year I see Dwight Freeney being able to be moved from 43 DE to 34 DE without a ratings drop.

Pursuit Angle: A player with a good rating here would obviously take better angles to getting to the ball carriers, where as a player with a bad rating would take a bad angle, which could lead to bad results.

Kick into wind
: I realize alot of this has to do with user control, but some of it should have to do with the player. Certain kickers know how to kick with wind, and some are terrible.

Discipline: Didnt Madden have this rating before? A player with good discipline will stick to his assignments, and a player with bad discipline may stray from it.

Double team: This rating would dictate how often a defender would need double teamed. Obviously, this will apply pretty much only to dominant DLineman and maybe an elite pass rusher.

Cold weather rating
: Some players just dont play well in cold weather.

I realize not all these would be used. Some I just think would be cool if implemented correctly.

I have other ideas, but Ill leave it there for now.
For a discussion on 3-4 Specific ratings see:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...4-defense.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Make size mean something. Fat DT's need double teams. And please make tall receivers worth something, they really dont seeing how CB's can fly now.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 10

scramble route??? or you mean a smart WR to get open when he recognizes that his QB is under pressure
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8

A pull rating for o-linemen perhaps, a double team rating for defensive players to make monsters like Ware and Harrison actually play like monsters in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »