Home

Need Help Understanding How Scouting Works in Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Need Help Understanding How Scouting Works in Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Need Help Understanding How Scouting Works in Franchise Mode

I put the "com" in, but it just took me to a run down of the message boards.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

I sign the most experienced scouting service, and typically scout the highest 18 potential guys in positions I might need or consider drafting. Over the course of the season's 17 weeks you can nearly go through 3 groups, or 54 players.

If nothing else, during the draft I can ID the high potential guys from my scouting reports.

BTW, I've had C potential players be of far more use due to high ratings in the right attributes, than some A or B potential guys. Even gotten good advancement from them. And potential does not seem to affect when a player begins to go into decline, so potential is often an over-rated draft consideration IMHO.

Last edited by Old School SD Fan; 09-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
OK, I have a few questions now that I've dived into franchise mode:

1) How long do you guys scout one particular player? If I can scout 18 guys per week, do you guys scout all 18 on week 1, and then do another 18 on, say, week 6?

What I'm asking is...how long will it take me to get a good amount of information on one player?
"fully scouted" is 6 weeks. I pay attention to what info I already have and go from there. If I don't have, say, Throwing Power yet, I'll keep scouting, but if I have the important ratings to me, I'll move on at 4 weeks.

Quote:
2) If they show us a "potential" bar in the scouting, why would I ever scout guys at the lower tier of the list? Now certainly, the guys are the top with the most potential are guaranteed to be there later in the draft, but if you "potential" bar is considerably low--and I already know this in advance of scouting--why would I ever give him a look?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if these guys with lower potential can still be gems? Can a guy who's potential bar is only 50% full still be a gem and come out of the draft rated, say, 82? Has anyone checked on this?
Unscouted potential bars are appreciably wrong about 20% of the time and at least a bit wrong almost all of the time. Maybe 10% of the time they're way off (meaning by a good 2 or 3 rounds in the draft). The closer to the full 6 weeks you scout someone, the closer to accurate your potential bar gets.

If you've scouted someone a full 6 weeks, you can be reasonably confident the potential bar is close enough. Generally, if you start scouting someone and they go up, if you continue, they'll continue in that direction. So you can scout someone once to get a sense of whether the accuracy bar is low or high. If you scout someone who's mid-round talent and he immediately drops a bit, likely he's not as good as his round estimate will say he is.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

So the potential bar changes throughout the season depending on how much scoutings been done? So a low potential guy I scout could actually be a high potential guy? But only scouting would we know this?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

what i used to do it jut write down who the top potential players were in order. this was great because the worst potential rating was maybe a B.

The scouting thing is corrupt because there are not really any gems since they are easy to spot. They are not diamonds in the Ruff they are diamonds in the open.

when i am drafting i am not looking for a player that can immediately come in and play. i will draft a 50 overall player with an A poteintal before i draft an 80 overall with a C potential.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
OK, I have a few questions now that I've dived into franchise mode:

1) How long do you guys scout one particular player? If I can scout 18 guys per week, do you guys scout all 18 on week 1, and then do another 18 on, say, week 6?

What I'm asking is...how long will it take me to get a good amount of information on one player?

2) If they show us a "potential" bar in the scouting, why would I ever scout guys at the lower tier of the list? Now certainly, the guys are the top with the most potential are guaranteed to be there later in the draft, but if you "potential" bar is considerably low--and I already know this in advance of scouting--why would I ever give him a look?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if these guys with lower potential can still be gems? Can a guy who's potential bar is only 50% full still be a gem and come out of the draft rated, say, 82? Has anyone checked on this?
You can scout a player as long as you want but you quit gaining information after 6 weeks so any time after that is wasted.

If they are at the bottom for potential they are worthless, which really messes up the CPU cause the CPU won't then disregard them like a human player would making it way easier for the human to draft successfully. That said, when until you scout the player his potential can be wrong by as much as a full letter grade so if I have needs at a position I will scout down into players listed as B potential according to the initial bar.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13

What drives me nuts is that the only information we are given during the season (other than combine numbers) is potential. Why not tell us THEN what round players are expected to go? Mock drafts come out in April for the next year's draft in reality. Sure, there are going to be many changes over the course of time, until the draft comes, but most are fairly accurate (to within a round or so). When deciding who to scout, I'd like to know whether I'm scouting all potential 1st rounders, or a nice mix. It seems odd that I never see what round a player is projected to be drafted until the draft actually starts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 29

I would love to be able to organize the players I scout on a big board. Not to make this a wishlist thread, but the worst part of scouting is not being able to feel organized during the draft. When I sort by "Scouted Prospects" it includes players that have been drafted... makes it a bit confusing and clunky.

I usually wait like Adembroski and get major ratings and move on to a new prospect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »