Home

General Football Help: What plays are best suited for what situations?

This is a discussion on General Football Help: What plays are best suited for what situations? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: General Football Help: What plays are best suited for what situations?

In very simple terms, think of this:

Nickel: Three CBs, two safeties
Dime: Four CBs, two safeties
Quarter: Five CBs, two safeties

So as you go on with these formations, you're taking more men out of the "box" (the front line/LB) and putting more guys in the secondary (CBs and safeties) to help combat passing situations. Cornerbacks are going to cover WRs much easier than a Linebacker will. What you (typically) give up is defense against the run. With less guys in the box, the RB will be able to hit the secondary.

So first look and see what the offense you face is running. If they're going 2 WR, 2RB, then you should be okay (generally) going with your base defense (4-3 or 3-4). Maybe you feel that even if they go with 3 WR, they're trying to fool you into nickel, so you stick with your base defense. Maybe they don't have a running game and haven't had success all game. So with that, you stay in nickel formation to combat their only attack: the passing game.

Maybe you have a true shutdown cornerback, and you want him on their best WR all day, so you call man coverage, or a combo man/zone. I typically view Cover 2 as my short yardage zone play, such as against a 3rd and 4 situation.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 15

Well thats right for the most part about running/passing. However alot of times on man-to-man coverage, if the running play is a pitch..you are probably giving up a big run especially if it's a running back like brandon jacobs or some other power back.

If I think the CPU is playing a pitch to the outside, I'll switch to a Cover 2, and 8 times out of 10 i'll stop them with only a few yards gained or even lost.

Against the pass to the flat..I run cover 2, cover 3, or CB Dog Blitz.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdahman
Offense
formations like power I are good for running
I love I-form variations. As someone mentioned up the thread you want to do what your opponent isn't expecting and IF you like to throw to your TE (my TE is my binky) and have a serviceable FB the I-form can be very versatile. Establish that your FB can catch the ball if attention isn't paid to him and you can start to slowly pick apart a defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

1-5-5 is one of the greatest formations PERIOD for redzone defense as long as they are five yards or more out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »