Home

I can't get into Madden anymore

This is a discussion on I can't get into Madden anymore within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
I can't get into Madden anymore

Man, what happened? I don't know if it's the game or me but over the years I have grown less fond of this series. Last year I bought it and played it for a week and this year looks to be more of the same. Shame on me for buying it every year but I really think this is it for me.

So what is the problem? Well, from a high-level I just have that 'been there done that' feeling from the first kick-off. There's nothing about it that makes me say 'wow'. For me Madden really hit its peak on PS2, as the current gen consoles seem really, really flat.

My gripes:

-Run blocking is crap
-Getting sacks on the CPU opponent is way too easy
-Dumb AI moments, ex: team down by 3 at half, drives to my 20 yard line with 20 seconds left; sets up for a FG but NEVER KICKS IT!
-The Pro-tak; is it just an animation? Do you have any control over that? If you do, it must be minimal cause I don't feel like I do.
-Being forced to watch the same ol' sequence of the chain gang, refs discussing TD's without the ability to pass through it.
-Commentary

I just feel like a sucker, yet again. I'm the exact reason that EA can rehash this game year after year, tack on a few 'new' features and sell it to the masses. I have to stop this madness

When does their license expire with the NFL? And do we know if 2k is going to get back into the mix? This is just way too stale for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: I can't get into Madden anymore

I had such high hopes for this game, based on what I felt were credible reviews from Abner, PastaPadre, Steve at OS and others. That's why I purchased it after last year's colossal debacle.

I am amazed -- stunned, quite frankly -- at how quickly public sentiment has shifted, from mostly positive feedback, euphoric even, to mostly negative.

I've played about seven games and have many concerns, which have been well-documented by others. I am hoping patches can fix some of them and increase the fun factor.

And fun factor is basically what it comes down to for me, as I'm not a heavy nit-picker on every little flaw.

So is it fun? Yes and no. It's hard to say right now. I absolutely love the look of the game, as I'm a huge graphics ho and I am digging the looks of the unis, helmets, stadiums, fields. My main problem right now is the games seem the same, no variety, as I'm winning all of them in similar fashion, similar scores.

I have tinkered with sliders. And it will take more slider adjustments to get it to where I want it.

It's funny how some games I took an immediate liking to and looked forward to playing over and over again: College Hoops 2k8, NBA 2k8, NHL 09, FIFA 09 and NCAA 09 (post patches). Others, like Madden 10 and MLB 2k9, I kind of have to force myself to like.

But unlike Madden 09, I haven't given up hope on this one yet. I'm hoping patches and the right sliders can salvage the game for me.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''

Last edited by Spanky; 08-17-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I had such high hopes for this game, based on what I felt were credible reviews from Abner, PastaPadre, Steve at OS and others. That's why I purchased it after last year's colossal debacle.

I am amazed -- stunned, quite frankly -- at how quickly public sentiment has shifted, from mostly positive feedback, euphoric even, to mostly negative.

I've played about seven games and have many concerns, which have been well-documented by others. I am hoping patches can fix some of them and increase the fun factor.

And fun factor is basically what it comes down to for me, as I'm not a heavy nit-picker on every little flaw.

So is it fun? Yes and no. It's hard to say right now. I absolutely love the look of the game, as I'm a huge graphics ho and I am digging the looks of the unis, helmets, stadiums, fields. My main problem right now is the games seem the same, no variety, as I'm winning all of them in similar fashion, similar scores.

I have tinkered with sliders. And it will take more slider adjustments to get it to where I want it.

It's funny how some games I took an immediate liking to and looked forward to playing over and over again: College Hoops 2k8, NBA 2k8, NHL 09, FIFA 09 and NCAA 09 (post patches). Others, like Madden 10 and MLB 2k9, I kind of have to force myself to like.

But unlike Madden 09, I haven't given up hope on this one yet. I'm hoping patches and the right sliders can salvage the game for me.
Yeah I agree with this. I'm not one to breakdown a game like others. I won't watch replay after replay to find all the glitches. For me it comes down to feel - does it make me want to come back and play more? Right now I'm leaning towards no unfortunately.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
You shouldn't be amazed. Those who enjoy the game are doing more playing than posting. Those who don't are here and on other forums trying to make sure everyone knows their opinion.

It happens with every game ever released.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

It's the game and by sticking with the game you're only sending EA the wrong message and contributing to the reason why Madden is the way it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I see two things:

- We're all getting older. "We're" being the Madden generation (late 20s and early 30s)

-The closer to reality this game gets, the more the small things annoys us.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

I went through same thing as you op, except it hit me last year. I think it really is just the stale factor. The same muddy engine for 5 years. I actually held out on Madden this year and it looks like I'll be holding out indefinitely, unless the patch is incredible.

The only thing that revives my interest in these games is the online features. A 32-man League sounds fun as hell, I used to do em all the time on Madden PC...but even then, from the stuff I've read, it's in unfinished form. And you can only take so many 14 y/o's quitting on your game early because they can't take a loss before you get fed up with online leagues too.

I'm totally comfortable with skipping Madden this year. NCAA Online Dynasties are holding my interest for the moment.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 7

Yeah, the game is really well-done overall, it's just some really annoying things that can keep beating my love for the game down.

If the patches are effective....the game will be a great one...for now it's a good one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »