Home

NG Madden 10 is hot....hot garbage

This is a discussion on NG Madden 10 is hot....hot garbage within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
NG Madden 10 is hot....hot garbage

Ask Tiburon to dust off old copies of ps2 madden 06-10, you forgot how to make quality football games
They've slowed the game down but still
The animation speed is inconsistent with the rest of gameplay to many times not to be annoyed
The running game
The running game to me has lost a lot of its sophistication, theres no real art or science to it, if feels jagged,sloppy, the pro tack doesn't add to it either. The pro tack animations feel sluggish, not tight. The blocking logic is lousy, the run game feels unauthentic
Passing game
The passing game lacks fluidity. The speed of the passes are inconsistent with the speed of overall gameplay, there too fast. The ball is visually hard to track, and along with this the camera view doesn't track well especially on the deep passes. Because of this, its hard to measure when to bat down a pass as a defender, and to judge when to go for the ball as a receiver.

Button config
For those of us who played madden PS2 for most of this decade, there are certain things almost programmed into our muscle memory. With that being said the NG buttons still don't make economical sense. Why is there pitch button, and hurdle for the RB, especially when it was proven in the earlier decade of last gen to be a waste of buttons. Now you have the same problem. on top of this on airborne balls the controls can be unresponsive for defenders and receivers. Also the Play of defensive linemen has been drastically limited, you used to be able to use the shoulder buttons as swim, rip, spin moves, along with bull rush and speed rush. Now NG madden limits your creattivity with using just the analog sitck. overall the control scheme is poor and responsiveness is still sluggish.

The NG has become bogged down by attributes.
Though not perfect, I thought the PS2 forumla for attributes and the way they translated to the field or gameplay was great. I was all for adding a few more attributes like man to man or zone rating for corners, however come NG they blew it up....and blew it up in a bad way.
Its like they had to clean up mistakes with ratings by compounding it with more ratings.
For example a
OL has PBK RBK then in NG they have PBK and RBK str, also they have RBK and PBK footwork....why?
If you wanted to judge movement of O Linemen you simply would look at agility, speed, accel, if you wanted to focus on str you would look at str.
ANother example is the awarenss attribute this is football intelligence. IF
a MLB has awareness of 90+ they will less likely fall for playaction, attack the right hole on running plays, and diagnose the play immediately, and you can't throw the ball over there heads.
If a RB has 90+ awareness he'll usually always get the right hole, picks the right special move (spin,juke) etc.
So why in the NG would you create a BCV and a Play recognition attribute when awareness does all of it? These are examples of the developers not cleaning up the ratings formula and why LG madden is still the true king.

On the old engine, you can feel/see/decipher when the LB's are not explosive, or fast and how it would fit in to the overall gameplay, or when your DL is powerful collasping the pocket.For us vets we understood how attributes applied to our gameplay. Now the NG has been bogged down by them.

The pro tack is lame and annoying, what should be violent tackles sounds like pieces of cardboard slapping eachother
How does NG Madden 10 play now, like an arcade game, reminds me of NFL blitz. The series no longer has the charisma it once wielded that roots from great gameplay, just great marketing from the cash cow to make people continue to buy
Im going to bring this trash back this week and buy back a PS2 because I need my football fix, but Im hanging up the NG controller when it comes to football, its over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: NG Madden 10 is hot....hot garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphtali
Ask Tiburon to dust off old copies of ps2 madden 06-10, you forgot how to make quality football games
They've slowed the game down but still
The animation speed is inconsistent with the rest of gameplay to many times not to be annoyed
The running game
The running game to me has lost a lot of its sophistication, theres no real art or science to it, if feels jagged,sloppy, the pro tack doesn't add to it either. The pro tack animations feel sluggish, not tight. The blocking logic is lousy, the run game feels unauthentic
Passing game
The passing game lacks fluidity. The speed of the passes are inconsistent with the speed of overall gameplay, there too fast. The ball is visually hard to track, and along with this the camera view doesn't track well especially on the deep passes. Because of this, its hard to measure when to bat down a pass as a defender, and to judge when to go for the ball as a receiver.

Button config
For those of us who played madden PS2 for most of this decade, there are certain things almost programmed into our muscle memory. With that being said the NG buttons still don't make economical sense. Why is there pitch button, and hurdle for the RB, especially when it was proven in the earlier decade of last gen to be a waste of buttons. Now you have the same problem. on top of this on airborne balls the controls can be unresponsive for defenders and receivers. Also the Play of defensive linemen has been drastically limited, you used to be able to use the shoulder buttons as swim, rip, spin moves, along with bull rush and speed rush. Now NG madden limits your creattivity with using just the analog sitck. overall the control scheme is poor and responsiveness is still sluggish.

The NG has become bogged down by attributes.
Though not perfect, I thought the PS2 forumla for attributes and the way they translated to the field or gameplay was great. I was all for adding a few more attributes like man to man or zone rating for corners, however come NG they blew it up....and blew it up in a bad way.
Its like they had to clean up mistakes with ratings by compounding it with more ratings.
For example a
OL has PBK RBK then in NG they have PBK and RBK str, also they have RBK and PBK footwork....why?
If you wanted to judge movement of O Linemen you simply would look at agility, speed, accel, if you wanted to focus on str you would look at str.
ANother example is the awarenss attribute this is football intelligence. IF
a MLB has awareness of 90+ they will less likely fall for playaction, attack the right hole on running plays, and diagnose the play immediately, and you can't throw the ball over there heads.
If a RB has 90+ awareness he'll usually always get the right hole, picks the right special move (spin,juke) etc.
So why in the NG would you create a BCV and a Play recognition attribute when awareness does all of it? These are examples of the developers not cleaning up the ratings formula and why LG madden is still the true king.

On the old engine, you can feel/see/decipher when the LB's are not explosive, or fast and how it would fit in to the overall gameplay, or when your DL is powerful collasping the pocket.For us vets we understood how attributes applied to our gameplay. Now the NG has been bogged down by them.

The pro tack is lame and annoying, what should be violent tackles sounds like pieces of cardboard slapping eachother
How does NG Madden 10 play now, like an arcade game, reminds me of NFL blitz. The series no longer has the charisma it once wielded that roots from great gameplay, just great marketing from the cash cow to make people continue to buy
Im going to bring this trash back this week and buy back a PS2 because I need my football fix, but Im hanging up the NG controller when it comes to football, its over.
Hmm... Madden sucks because in depth ratings matter.

That's a new one.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83

That's a new one.
I'm so sick of hearing that. Probably one of the best things about M10
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Rookie

njmcfreak's Arena

OVR: 4

Most new ratings mean nothing, you can have them at 0 or 99 yet they still play the same.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphtali
good luck with that. enjoy your ps2 gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83

That's a new one.
I know, I laughed at that.

Madden needs alot of work, but if anything, it needs MORE attrubutes.

Quote:
I played a game the other day, and James Farrior got hurt and was replaced by Keyeron Fox. I could feel a huge difference. Much weaker tackler, not as quick and much worse in pursuit.

It may not be perfect yet, but on old gen consoles, I couldnt feel a difference at all. Maybe a slight difference, but I actually feel like the players are different on Madden 2010 (aside from CPU Olineman, who are all HOF caliber regardless of rating), and those extra ratings are the reason why.

It anything, it needs MORE attributes, not less.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Anybody have PS2 Madden 10? I'd assume it's the same old same old but I'd like to hear from someone with a copy. Anyway, I'll have a stroke if this terrible conglomeration of game engines isn't scrapped for PS4 and Xbox 3. That and the CPU playcalling is what it all comes down to really. I agree with most of your rants.

2k5 gave us some pretty amazing standards for presentation and all, but the game has to play well first. I guess it sounds hypocritical now because everyone here is obsessed with two things:

1. Franchise
2. Presentation

That's pretty much what Madden 10 delivered. Both are still really primitive but the base is there. Sadly you can't quite say the same for sim gameplay which is still in the dark ages as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkleaf
I'm so sick of hearing that. Probably one of the best things about M10
Not concerning line play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »