Home

Pat White's throw accuracy should not be higher than any starting QB's

This is a discussion on Pat White's throw accuracy should not be higher than any starting QB's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #33
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Pat White's throw accuracy should not be higher than any starting QB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage013
Pat white is a more accurate thrower than Russell. This comment makes me wonder if you have ever watched the two of them play. Russell has a tendency to throw high and behind his receivers and does it often. White throws high occasionally but usually hits his targets in the chest, even when throwing on the run. So, yes his accuracy should be rated higher.

ps. I have seen a lot of the two them being a WVU and Raider fan.
That's not exactly a fair comparison though. You are comparing what you've seen of Pat White in college vs. what you've seen from JaMarcus Russell in the NFL. In college, Russell was a great QB. He completed almost 68% of his passes his final year for 28 TDs and only 8 INTs.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #34
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

It's probably because of the combine. Pat White was the most accurate and best performing Quarterback at this years NFL scouting Combine.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #35
Rookie

sabotage013's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That's not exactly a fair comparison though. You are comparing what you've seen of Pat White in college vs. what you've seen from JaMarcus Russell in the NFL. In college, Russell was a great QB. He completed almost 68% of his passes his final year for 28 TDs and only 8 INTs.
And that's exactly why Russell had better stats when he first entered the league, they were based upon his college career and his "potential". We have seen what Russell has in the NFL and his stats are now in line with what he does there. Pat White's stats are based upon his college career and his potential, thats why they are higher.

Also, in Russell's final year he did not do well against the better teams in a overall weak schedule. Then he birthed a hype machine after a good championship game performance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #36
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
Using single game statistics, especially YPA and completion percentage is useless. Also, sacks are considered rushing plays in college, so again, in single games if a team manages to get a couple sacks, yards/carry is going to be very low (if not negative).

If you actually watched the Cincinatti game, (I was there), you wouldn't have used that as trying to prove that he wasn't a great passer. In that game, against great CBs (and a great defense in general), WVU had no running game. When you have no running game (and are losing, and it's about 15 degrees below freezing), passing is very hard, and Pat White did a great job.

In fact, his performance at the end of that game is probably his most memorable to me.

WVU was down 20-9 with 1:11 in the 4th quarter after the Cincy punter took a safety to not risk a block in the endzone. Pat White led the team 61 yards to score and ran in a 2 point conversion with 18 seconds left after only managing a single TD in the first 59 minutes.

WVU recovered the onside kick, and Pat White completed a very clutch pass for 20 yards or so and hurried to the line and spiked the ball to allow for a 52 yard FG to force overtime in a game that everyone thought was over.

People who had left were trying to get back into the stadium and the people who never left (including me) were going crazy after that kick. Unfortunately we called 5 straight runs in OT and had to settle for a FG and our D gave up a TD and we lost the game and a chance at the Big East title.

Pat's numbers were actually pretty solid in that game. 20-38 219 yards, 2 TDs and a pick. His comp % was low due to drops and a couple spiked passes to save time.

Against Pitt, Pat threw 2 boneheaded INTs including one toward the end that lost us the game... but he still almost led another last second comeback that came up short due to a receiver stupidly not getting out of bounds with like 10 seconds left.

Pitt manhandled WVU in that game, offensively and defensively, and despite Pat costing the team with his 2 INTs, the team would have never been in the game at all without him...

He was the greatest Mountaineer of all time, no question. Great runner, great QB, and great leader. He never got the respect he deserved as a passer. I don't know how things will go in the NFL, but I really hope things work out for him.
Actually, using those two single games is very good because in those were the only games where the other team forced Pat to be a quaterback and not a running back. They were smart enough to know that Pat is not any where near as good of a QB if you force him to play more of a traditional role of a drop back passer. You can say anything you want as a fan. I was at the Cincy game too. Other than the last half of the 4th quarter where Brian Kelly admitted they were playing not to lose instead of playing to win, White was average at best. He wasn't horrible, but if every team played WV the way they did, White would not have even been drafted. Even as a fan you have to know that.

The reason I pointed out the sacks in that game was not to reflect the passing numbers, but to show that they took away Pat White's ability to run in that game. He had to become a prototypical QB and he was ok, but nothing I would write home about. I am not saying he has no skill to be a QB at all. I am saying that if you were to put Pat White on a pro style offense he would be an average to below average QB. I still respect what he did in college. He was amazing, but he was amazing as a spread QB in a system taylored for him. He will be a good situational QB in the NFL. I am not convinced he will ever be a starter in the bigs. I don't think he ever threw for 200 yards in a game against a BE opponent in 2007 or 2008, other than the Cincy game where they forced him to throw the ball. That stat says a lot to me, perhaps more than any other could possibly say.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
Actually, using those two single games is very good because in those were the only games where the other team forced Pat to be a quaterback and not a running back. They were smart enough to know that Pat is not any where near as good of a QB if you force him to play more of a traditional role of a drop back passer. You can say anything you want as a fan. I was at the Cincy game too. Other than the last half of the 4th quarter where Brian Kelly admitted they were playing not to lose instead of playing to win, White was average at best. He wasn't horrible, but if every team played WV the way they did, White would not have even been drafted. Even as a fan you have to know that.

The reason I pointed out the sacks in that game was not to reflect the passing numbers, but to show that they took away Pat White's ability to run in that game. He had to become a prototypical QB and he was ok, but nothing I would write home about. I am not saying he has no skill to be a QB at all. I am saying that if you were to put Pat White on a pro style offense he would be an average to below average QB. I still respect what he did in college. He was amazing, but he was amazing as a spread QB in a system taylored for him. He will be a good situational QB in the NFL. I am not convinced he will ever be a starter in the bigs. I don't think he ever threw for 200 yards in a game against a BE opponent in 2007 or 2008, other than the Cincy game where they forced him to throw the ball. That stat says a lot to me, perhaps more than any other could possibly say.
If you don't think that every team tried to shut down Pat's running game (and Slaton and Devine, etc.), then you are mistaken.

It was a very tough task to do that and required a lot of D-line and linebacker skill,speed, and discipline. If it was as simple as you made it sound in the part that I bolded, WVU wouldn't have won many games at all during Pat's tenure. After USF beat WVU in 2006, everyone knew HOW to stop the WVU offense, but not every team COULD pull it off. Teams like Cincy, Pitt, and USF were the only teams with the athleticism and skill in their front 7 to make it happen. No matter what, Pat White had the athleticism to get him drafted. It didn't matter what the other defenses planned for half the time, because they were simply outmatched. That's why Pat was special and why he was draft-worthy.

Pitt didn't really force Pat to be a pocket QB last year. He had 93 yards and a TD on ground. For the most part, though, Pitt (and USF) did do a great job to contain him (and the RBs) his last couple years. The Pitt game is definitely a good example of him struggling as a passer. Probably the best example there is.

I still don't think the Cincy game is a good example, though. He was the whole offense that game and brought them back from the dead. Part of the reason it looks like he struggled was because WVU didn't really abandon the run until the 4th quarter. WVU was down 20-7 entering the 4th quarter, and Pat attempted 21 passes in that quarter. He wasn't really asked to throw much until the score forced him too... and he was very effective. I know we disagree on this game, but my point is that Pat brought WVU back in that game because of his arm, and nothing else. I find it really hard to fault a guy who can drive his team through the air like that in the clutch. The #'s weren't the prettiest, but they weren't bad either.

A game that I can point to in Pat's defense was the bowl game against UNC last season where he was forced to pass and came through huge. They held him to 2.6 yards/carry (and the team as a whole to 2.9), much like he Cincy game, but Pat absolutely shredded their secondary (26/32 332 yds 3 TD 1 INT).

You're right about the 200+ yard games, he only went over 200 yards against the BE 3 times in his career. The game against Cincy, and the games against Pitt and Louisville his sophomore year... But you gotta remember this... Pat only threw over 20 times TWICE in his first 3 seasons with the most attempts being 25. And in most of those games I'd say WVU racked up around 250 rushing yards and won by double digits, so he never had to throw more. I don't see what that stat really says. He was never in an offense that allowed for a lot of passing yards. He did usually have 200-300 total yards though. I'd see your point if he was throwing 30 times a game and only getting 150 yards, but he was usually around 150-180 yards on like 20 passes. As it stands, I don't think your 200 yard stat discredits him as a passer.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #38
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

the best thing EA did this year was to break down the QB accuracy stats. Can not believe it took this long but it's brilliant!

Pat White averaged nearly 65% over his college career and yes most short but his ratings reflect that and IMO is fair. Russell needs work and IMO as much as I hoped he would be a star, so far it's not looking good.

Watched Pat White this weekend and the kid can play and throw. Would not be surprised if Henne is traded this year and not because White can run the Wildcat but because he looks like he can play QB
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #39
Rookie

jwoodson15's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striefer
I still can't get over this BS. Why IS Jamarcus' accuracy so fricken low. EA really has something against Oakland
Better question is why would the Raiders pay the bum $60 million or whatever he makes. He cant hit the broad side of a barn from point blank range. His accuracy is low cuz HE SUCKS! It would be a very safe bet to assume Russell never completes 60% of his passes in a season. Whenever I feel bad about the Broncos QB situation I think hey atleast we dont have jamarcus Russell.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #40
Rookie

wickedbadman's Arena

OVR: 3

That's how it works. They come in overrated, don't do anything the rookie year, get knocked down to sub-next year rookie levels.

(Brady Quinn)

It's dumb.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »